Injury Report: Ekblad -Concussion testing, Tests negative- 9/19

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Mainly due to the NHL's decision to give a lot of slack to let the players police things themselves rather than putting big penalties for cheap shot artists. The case would be a lot clearer when it was some AHL fodder or a 4th liner with a lot of term earning league minimum trying to make an impression for the coach by taking out big earners on the opposing team. That would be my strategy to win if the m.o. was to win by any means necessary: fill the entire team with Bertuzzis and let the mayhem ensue to even the playing field.
CJ and Boo would have no problem with this type of strategy but the league will step in before the game with warnings of fines and coaching suspensions if they are ignored. The league wants the physical edge to the game but they will not look to bring back the old days. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
CJ and Boo would have no problem with this type of strategy but the league will step in before the game with warnings of fines and coaching suspensions if they are ignored. The league wants the physical edge to the game but they will not look to bring back the old days. :)

This approach however introduces a topic of when a team is too physical because the definition will not be available but it's purely a de facto, on the spot rulings. Then this leads to a situation where some teams consider that they aren't getting the fair treatment compared to some other teams and they no other option than to test the waters of where the borderline lies. The Cats for an instance is in my opinion one such team that is setup to be on the receiving end of such unfair treatment because 95% of the team is composed of soft players.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This approach however introduces a topic of when a team is too physical because the definition will not be available but it's purely a de facto, on the spot rulings. Then this leads to a situation where some teams consider that they aren't getting the fair treatment compared to some other teams and they no other option than to test the waters of where the borderline lies. The Cats for an instance is in my opinion one such team that is setup to be on the receiving end of such unfair treatment because 95% of the team is composed of soft players.
It remains to be seen how far teams like the Habs will be allowed to push the envelope. Certainly Domi has placed a red flag on his back and any subsequent cheap shots or fights where players are injured or he is deemed the instigator are going to add up to an eventual long suspension should he follow this trend the whole season.

Gudas and Wilson are sociopaths and prime examples of guys that try to end fellow players careers. Gudas being leveled by Prout as he skated to the bench last season was the perfect example of vigilante justice when the league continually looks the other way as cheap shot artists are given too much latitude. The video of Ulf getting leveled by Tie Domi is another example of what can happen when the league looks the other way as sociopaths are allowed to do their thing . Samuelsson had a long history of seriously injuring or ending players careers until finally Domi said I've had enough. Wilson is headed down that road as someone is going to step on his neck when the chance arrives unless the league reels him in. :)

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It remains to be seen how far teams like the Habs will be allowed to push the envelope. Certainly Domi has placed a red flag on his back and any subsequent cheap shots or fights where players are injured or he is deemed the instigator are going to add up to an eventual long suspension should he follow this trend the whole season.

Gudas and Wilson are sociopaths and prime examples of guys that try to end fellow players careers. Gudas being leveled by Prout as he skated to the bench last season was the perfect example of vigilante justice when the league continually looks the other way as cheap shot artists are given too much latitude. The video of Ulf getting leveled by Tie Domi is another example of what can happen when the league looks the other way as sociopaths are allowed to do their thing . Samuelsson had a long history of seriously injuring or ending players careers until finally Domi said I've had enough. Wilson is headed down that road as someone is going to step on his neck when the chance arrives unless the league reels him in. :)

Wilson and Domi themselves aren't going to anything about their behavior at least voluntarily since they are being paid partially for their cheap shot artistry. Domi already established himself in Arizona as a guy who loves to instigate first and then even upon receiving a crosscheck he immediately goes jab the opposing player who got under his skin. Spewing this "I was just protecting myself"-bs is his forte. He just hasn't got the limelight for this behavior because the Yotes do not really gather attention. Wilson on the other hand got attention due to the playoff success so he's easier to pick apart from the crowd. I don't think the league has an answer for this conduct and probably never will, especially if the goons have even a touch of skill in their game so in a perfect environment, like with the Habs, they are 1st liners but on a team like the Cats they probably wouldn't have spot based on skills.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Wilson and Domi themselves aren't going to anything about their behavior at least voluntarily since they are being paid partially for their cheap shot artistry. Domi already established himself in Arizona as a guy who loves to instigate first and then even upon receiving a crosscheck he immediately goes jab the opposing player who got under his skin. Spewing this "I was just protecting myself"-bs is his forte. He just hasn't got the limelight for this behavior because the Yotes do not really gather attention. Wilson on the other hand got attention due to the playoff success so he's easier to pick apart from the crowd. I don't think the league has an answer for this conduct and probably never will, especially if the goons have even a touch of skill in their game so in a perfect environment, like with the Habs, they are 1st liners but on a team like the Cats they probably wouldn't have spot based on skills.
and that is exactly why wilson got the contract he did. its extraordinarily hard to find a goon who can play hockey at his level. and he was paid accordingly. it was an obvious overpayment on a purely skill basis but when you combine his skill with the insanity he causes in games, he was paid semi-fairly. he really does mess up other teams chemistry through fear and intimidation. you have to keep your head on an insane swivel when he's on the ice which means you're not playing the way you normally would. our lineup is extremely soft. once haley and petrovic and brouwer are all gone next year we may be the softest team in the league. I don't generally care as I hate having haley on the ice and am always in favor of icing the best PLAYERS, but it would be nice if we had a tough guy who could play. petro is the closest thing we have to that and I hope we keep him.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Oh please "it's hockey?" :laugh::laugh: Things have changed since most of the goons have been sent packing. The league doesn't have a problem with intimidation and cheap shots during the games but the old days of bench clearing and next game line brawls have gone the way of Tony Twist and Probert. If bad blood and revenge are hyped by the players and media before the game, the league officials can and will warn both coaches about the consequences before the puck is dropped. They will enforce their warnings as any injuries could result in litigation.

For the most part litigation is non existent in the NHL. Ek could easily sue Domi for his assault/battery and win a judgement against him but this wouldn't happen unless the injuries end his career. It doesn't take much to ruin a career. Just ask Bertuzzi. :)

You really love overanalysing everything. There will be no bench clearing brawls or line brawls lmao, there will be Domi going against one of the Panthers in their first game against each other, that is all. There wont be any warnings from the league. The "enforcer" might be a thing of the past, but fighting, and the overall physicality of this sport, will always be there. They play hand in hand, and one cannot be removed without removing the other. Domi will pay for what he did, and the game will continue, end of story.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Domi had 4 fights his first year and then 2 and 1 the following seasons. Yes, he plays a semi gritty game and won't take any crap but I've watched him closely the last few years and he will mouth off ala Tro but for the most part he just skates away. What he did to Ek was out of character IMO and probably instigated by CJ's mandate for the system he wants to play.

Wilson was handed a gift from the league in the playoffs. Teams are going to target him this year and it wouldn't surprise me if he retaliates and receives 3 or 4 suspensions. If the league continues to give him a pass to concuss people, someone will eventually cheap shot him to the head. :)

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Domi is a scumbag for that. Drouin is as well for the victim blaming, and Kypreos is a pud.

The league dropped the ball yet again.

Glad Ekblad is alright.

Really like him as a player, and he seems like he is an even better person.

Hope his play picks back up and he can stay healthy.

Btw, his puppy is adorable.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I just now watched a good replay of the incident. Anyone who hasn’t seen a clear clip of it can take a look here: Domi suspended remainder of preseason for action in Canadiens game.

This is not a case of Ekblad being a wimp.
It’s a case of Ekblad waiting to see if the gloved punches would have been enough to get Domi called for a penalty. Like players don’t expect to get speared in the groin, don’t expect to have their knees taken out, get cross checked in the neck, likewise players don’t expect to get sucker punched in the face. This was an obvious sucker punch.

Ekblad’s only mistake is to assume some respect between players, assume no obvious cheap shots to be given by the vast majority of NHL players, and to not consider Domi to be the psycho he apparently is. I’m sure this mistake won’t be repeated by Ekblad or anyone on the Panthers team.

This year’s Montreal team truly sucks. They’ll compete for worst overall with Ottawa. Other teams will need to play them accordingly to avoid injuries to their stars. Tavares and Matthews etc better watch out.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You really love overanalysing everything. There will be no bench clearing brawls or line brawls lmao, there will be Domi going against one of the Panthers in their first game against each other, that is all. There wont be any warnings from the league. The "enforcer" might be a thing of the past, but fighting, and the overall physicality of this sport, will always be there. They play hand in hand, and one cannot be removed without removing the other. Domi will pay for what he did, and the game will continue, end of story.
Since my last answer was too sarcastic, let me be a tad more respectful.

"Scores will be settled" This was a dumb statement by Ekblad that will raise the antenna of league officials before the game and a warning will be issued to both benches about turning the contest in to a multitude of tit for tat fights that could result in serious injuries. The league has no problem with Ekblad settling a score with Domi or even Haley stepping up to defend a teammate. What they do have a problem with is turning a single incident into a plural team challenge. I so much as said Domi should probably expect a call to dance from Haley but noted he has the right to accept or decline. You turned my whole reply into a false philosophy that no one on the Cats has the right to respond to a sucker punch to Ekblad. Never said that. ;)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Since my last answer was too sarcastic, let me be a tad more respectful.

"Scores will be settled" This was a dumb statement by Ekblad that will raise the antenna of league officials before the game and a warning will be issued to both benches about turning the contest in to a multitude of tit for tat fights that could result in serious injuries. The league has no problem with Ekblad settling a score with Domi or even Haley stepping up to defend a teammate. What they do have a problem with is turning a single incident into a plural team challenge. I so much as said Domi should probably expect a call to dance from Haley but noted he has the right to accept or decline. You turned my whole reply into a false philosophy that no one on the Cats has the right to respond to a sucker punch to Ekblad. Never said that. ;)
That’s such hilarious BS. All Ekblad did was to make an offhand comment about settling scores. It’ll cause exactly zero phone calls from the league to Panthers.

You type too much.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^So show me where I said there will be a phone call from the league to the Panthers? You know......... you can't. You guys just luv to to put words in my mouth. That's not how it's done. Ekblad has drawn the line in the sand with his statement and the media has jumped on it and will bring it up in interviews with Ek and other players from both teams looking for a headline reaction prior to the 12/28 game. The head of officials will have no choice but to contact the game officials that they are to warn both coaches before the puck is dropped that they will have a very short leash on possible fines and suspensions should the game descend into a display of lets see who has the tougher team and will back down first.

Seems to me you also called BS on my statement that Mascherin might not sign with the Cats. You should learn to listen.:laugh:

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

All I have to say is the league passed the actions of Matt Cooke on Erik Karlsson off as an accident. Chara snapping MaxPac...

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
All I have to say is the league passed the actions of Matt Cooke on Erik Karlsson off as an accident. Chara snapping MaxPac...
Agree 100%. The league does a poor job of handing out discipline to players that intentionally injure. They also do a poor job of stopping head shots that will end up destroying lives long after they have retired as CTE from concussions is waived off by Bettman and Colin Campbell as unproven. These are not guys that care about their players........they just care about the bottom line. ;)

Reactions: CHGoalie27

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
^So show me where I said there will be a phone call from the league to the Panthers? You know......... you can't. You guys just luv to to put words in my mouth. That's not how it's done. Ekblad has drawn the line in the sand with his statement and the media has jumped on it and will bring it up in interviews with Ek and other players from both teams looking for a headline reaction prior to the 12/28 game. The head of officials will have no choice but to contact the game officials that they are to warn both coaches before the puck is dropped that they will have a very short leash on possible fines and suspensions should the game descend into a display of lets see who has the tougher team and will back down first.

Seems to me you also called BS on my statement that Mascherin might not sign with the Cats. You should learn to listen.:laugh:
You say exactly what I accused you of above. Ok, except for the communication method, maybe they text or tweet or email or say it in person (instead of voice call).

Just because your BS is at times amusing, doesn’t make it not BS.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
That’s such hilarious BS. All Ekblad did was to make an offhand comment about settling scores. It’ll cause exactly zero phone calls from the league to Panthers.

You type too much.
I would like to think he's right, but seeing as how they don't seem to give a shit, I too doubt any warnings will be made.

That would require the league acknowledging us.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
For what it's worth, the league usually does contact the teams involved in any "vendetta" games and what usually happens is the culprit answers the bell then it's over.

It is only when the player in question refuses to do so that it escalates into a mess

Remember the "Hendricks" game. He fought Guds and it was over. Or the "Kulikov." Kuli answered the bell for hurting Seguin.

These line brawls dont happen anymore. When was the last time? Wasn't Tortorella involved or something like that?

Reactions: Rahooji

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Not sure with his Concoussion Protocoll not really, thats why he doesnt wanted to fight Domi in the first. You dont put your Season on the Line by a Single fight, the last concoussion took him 4-5 Weeks for recover to 80-100%. He even was bad on the Ice and BoardGame, it hinder him in his Physical Game.
Don´t expect him to fight, its like small Player goes after Star Player. Dont await that the Player by his own come after you.
For the other one Seguin did it, cause the league knows Kulikov is no fighter.

Ekblad plays defense in the NHL. It’s physically challenging on a nightly basis. What exactly do you put your season on the line for if not settling score with a guy who broke your nose for fun?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Ekblad plays defense in the NHL. It’s physically challenging on a nightly basis. What exactly do you put your season on the line for if not settling score with a guy who broke your nose for fun?

You don't generally get punched in the face during the normal course of play, whereas it's kind of the point in a fight. We do not need our concussion-prone franchise defenseman getting another concussion just so he can "settle a score." Hockey teams employ other people to do those things.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
You don't generally get punched in the face during the normal course of play, whereas it's kind of the point in a fight. We do not need our concussion-prone franchise defenseman getting another concussion just so he can "settle a score." Hockey teams employ other people to do those things.

I know it’s not usual to get punched in the face and have your nose broken. That’s why I’m talking about settling a score. The game is still violent and if Ekblad can’t play it with an edge if needed then he should look for another line of work.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Never mind what I said before. I’m not happy with the slap on the wrist Domi received for breaking Ek’s nose. Just ridiculous.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
It's because Ek is just meh and is not a man.

-ghoste
Close... I've been checking the comments on social media and it is now obvious to me that Ekblad doesn't know the game of hockey. I've been informed that you have to instantly accept an engagement to fight regardless of the challenger, the situation, or even if it's an absolutely meaningless game. The keyboard warriors have spoken and he must man up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad