Rumor: Ekblad available

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I feel like you throw this exact same offer out there every few pages hoping someone bites. Niku is not some super attractive asset. He’s just a guy you throw into a deal
Has anyone offered Laine or Marner straight up recently?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I feel like you throw this exact same offer out there every few pages hoping someone bites. Niku is not some super attractive asset. He’s just a guy you throw into a deal
I proposed it once a few weeks ago but thanks for noticing me. And yes, that is exactly why I threw him in. We’re u under the impression he was the main piece? He can be changed out if you would like.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I proposed it once a few weeks ago but thanks for noticing me. And yes, that is exactly why I threw him in. We’re u under the impression he was the main piece? He can be changed out if you would like.
No interest. If it wasn't you, this are other people that suggest this trade package.

Laine is not a reasonable main piece for Ekblad. He is a great goal-scoring winger of course and any team would love to have him; however, Ekblad is more valuable, in particular for a team like forward that has major defensive issues :)

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
This was already speculated/confirmed by Friedman

He says Florida is under order to shed money from the backend

Ekblad/Matheson/Yandle/ Stralman

He said the other 3 contracts are untradable and that Ekblad will be the most likely candidate.

let the bidding begin.

I'll start, can anyone beat:

Boeser, 2022 non protected 1st, Nils Hoglander, Jett Woo

for

Ekblad

Fla was very weak on the back end before they traded Matheson...now they want to trade Ekblad..who is giving this direction? An insane person?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Scheifele for Ekblad.

if you had another Ekblad, sure. If not, and the Panthers don’t, they just become the Jets. A team desperate for a top pairing player. Now, if they signed Pietrangelo they could do it. I don’t even think you give a second thought to the age difference. You just made yourself a legit contender. Without signing AP, you just can’t trade Ekblad.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Not really, it just costs Florida more money which would defeat the purpose

No it doesn't.

I said it a few pages back, but Marner's contract is heavily front loaded so after his bonus this summer he is only owed 35M over the next 5 seasons, or 7M AAV.

Him and Ekblad are owed the exact same amount of cash the next five years

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
No it doesn't.

I said it a few pages back, but Marner's contract is heavily front loaded so after his bonus this summer he is only owed 35M over the next 5 seasons, or 7M AAV.

So it's a lateral move at best for them on top of the fact that marners salary is almost entirely signing bonuses so they'd have to pay 7m up front every summer. Doesn't make much sense for Florida.

Also Ekblad makes 4m less in real dollars in his last 3 years than marner

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No it doesn't.

Marner has the 11 million dollar cap hit though. That’s the biggest issue in moving him. Imo MM is a great player. He drives offence, and is excellent on the PK. But at 11 million per in this Covid flat cap era, that’s a tough contract to move without some salary retention, or taking back equal contracts to balance the cap. So I could see Ekblad for MM, but the Leafs retain 2 mil on Marner, or they take a dead 3 million dollar contract in addition to AE. Neither of those are happening. A trade like MM for Doughty is a far more doable deal for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad