Injury Report: EK65

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson is always trying to play through injuries. He does it every time and it should never ever be his call lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SharksAddict

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Playoffs start mid April so about the month, I don't see how he's going to be 100% healthy, he's only played what 3 games since mid January, and still not close.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Karlsson is always trying to play through injuries. He does it every time and it's should never ever be his call lol

Can't be 100% certain but I would not be surprised if the Sharks in general are being very sensitive to what EK65 asks/says because they want him to re-sign. That and it is generally not easy to say no to superstar players.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Lebron missed 5 weeks with a groin injury this year. Obviously there's different levels of severity but considering how quickly Karlsson re-injured himself he probably should have been held out for a month the first time around. It's all the more reason to try to win the division. We have a better chance of beating a wild card team than Vegas if Karlsson ends up missing the 1st round.

Reactions: CaptainShark

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I dont see how EK is going to age well. His next contract is terrifying.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Lebron missed 5 weeks with a groin injury this year. Obviously there's different levels of severity but considering how quickly Karlsson re-injured himself he probably should have been held out for a month the first time around. It's all the more reason to try to win the division. We have a better chance of beating a wild card team than Vegas if Karlsson ends up missing the 1st round.

i posted last week about this, my best hope was few games to knock off the rust before the playoffs, that would be about 1.5 months. a good amount of time. If he is close by that time i would consider resting him for the first round and rolling the dice without him.

That would give him a full 2 months which i believe he would be 100 after that.

I know Vegas will be challenging, but having home ice if we had to play them would make all the difference. they are a bottom third road team and we are lights out at home.

If Jones doesnt shit the bed and we continue to get scoring consistently through our top 3 lines, to me this team is good enough to survive the pacific and make it to the WCF even without Karlsson.

We will see what happens

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I dont see how EK is going to age well. His next contract is terrifying.

I guess the Sharks should win a cup the next 5 or so years, because after that there is like 27M tied up in some pretty old blueliners. Worry about that later though. The next 5 years with Karlsson should be better than without him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I guess the Sharks should win a cup the next 5 or so years, because after that there is like 27M tied up in some pretty old blueliners. Worry about that later though. The next 5 years with Karlsson should be better than without him.

Agreed. Both Burns and EK65 (if re-signed) contracts could end up being painful in their last 2-3 years. The contract I am really concerned about though is Vlasic. Over the next 3-4 years though Burns and EK65 would be an incredible 2 headed monster and would make us a threat every one of those years.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think the team is good enough to win a round against Colorado/Dallas/Minny without EK65 as long as we’re healthy up front and Jones evolves into playoff Jones. I’d be worried about EK65 coming in cold or rushing back and being a liability in the dzone because of his limited mobility at less than 100%.

Kane-Hertl-Nyquist
Meier-Couture-Pavs
Sorensen-Jumbo-Labanc
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

Burns-Simek
Vlasic-Heed
Braun-Dillon

Pittsburgh had worse depth on the backend in 2016 and 2017 and still won the cup. I think the sharks can do the same if worst came to worst.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Agreed. Both Burns and EK65 (if re-signed) contracts could end up being painful in their last 2-3 years. The contract I am really concerned about though is Vlasic. Over the next 3-4 years though Burns and EK65 would be an incredible 2 headed monster and would make us a threat every one of those years.

If I was Karlsson, that would be the only concern for me. That when he is on his last legs, Burns and Vlasic are also so the time to win may be not the full 8 years. On the bright side a team like the Rangers or some other team mentioned as a destination would also not take advantage of the full 7 years, because they are not where the Sharks are now. So they need some years to catch up...

Yeah, if I was EK65 I woule def. sign that 8 year contract (assuming DW offers one :D)

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I think the team is good enough to win a round against Colorado/Dallas/Minny without EK65 as long as we’re healthy up front and Jones evolves into playoff Jones. I’d be worried about EK65 coming in cold or rushing back and being a liability in the dzone because of his limited mobility at less than 100%.

Kane-Hertl-Nyquist
Meier-Couture-Pavs
Sorensen-Jumbo-Labanc
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

Burns-Simek
Vlasic-Heed
Braun-Dillon

Pittsburgh had worse depth on the backend in 2016 and 2017 and still won the cup. I think the sharks can do the same if worst came to worst.

That team is strong enough to go very far on their own. EK65 is just the very sweet icing on the cake. And it is a safer feeling (round 2) when he is on the ice again.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Kane-Hertl-Nyquist
Meier-Couture-Pavs
Sorensen-Jumbo-Labanc
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

Burns-Simek
Vlasic-Heed
Braun-Dillon

If we do win the Pacific and end up getting the top-seed, I agree. I like our team this year more than what we went to the SC finals. And, I do not want to sound over-confident, but I think a healthy Sharks team (minus EK65) still has a really good chance to make it all the way to the SC.

The good EC teams have given us a lot of issues this year though. It is going to be hard to beat the Bruins or Bolts (expecting one to make it there) without EK65.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
If we do win the Pacific and end up getting the top-seed, I agree. I like our team this year more than what we went to the SC finals. And, I do not want to sound over-confident, but I think a healthy Sharks team (minus EK65) still has a really good chance to make it all the way to the SC.

The good EC teams have given us a lot of issues this year though. It is going to be hard to beat the Bruins or Bolts (expecting one to make it there) without EK65.

I do agree with Tampa, although after 3 rounds in the East, they too will be pretty banged up. The Bruins (if they even survive 3 rounds) will be as well. In that case it is nice to be able to ice the (arguably) best defenceman just as an extra. But of course it won't be easy.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Kane-Hertl-Nyquist
Meier-Couture-Pavs
Sorensen-Jumbo-Labanc
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

Burns-Simek
Vlasic-Heed
Braun-Dillon

It’s kind of hard to compare teams with Pittsburgh when they have two top 5 Cs in the league.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
What exactly worries you? The fact that he got injured this year? It seems like an entirely new injury to him so its not exactly a repeat injury.

I am not too worried about his contract either. He will only be 29 before his contract kicks in.

The fact that he's played a full season only 3/10 seasons he's been in the league. That it's a none contact injury twice in one season. Do we think this will happen more or less often in a 8 year contract? Somewhat worried about that

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I agree but I think our lineup is far superior top to bottom.
Maybe but it makes a huge difference having two elite superstar centers and elite superstar winger (or at least playing like one) versus no elite superstar forwards.... We definitely have multiple good forwards but I wouldn’t say any of them are in the top tier of the league like Malkin Crosby and to a lesser extent Kessel.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
What exactly worries you? The fact that he got injured this year? It seems like an entirely new injury to him so its not exactly a repeat injury.

I am not too worried about his contract either. He will only be 29 before his contract kicks in.

Muscle injuries like groin and hamstrings often become chronic issues that flare up consistently. I personally think EK65 is worth the risk but it severely complicates contract talks. A part of me wonders if he takes a short-term deal to rebuild his value. He likely won't have to because of his stature, but it's possible.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Muscle injuries like groin and hamstrings often become chronic issues that flare up consistently. I personally think EK65 is worth the risk but it severely complicates contract talks. A part of me wonders if he takes a short-term deal to rebuild his value. He likely won't have to because of his stature, but it's possible.

His resume speaks for itself.

Hes gonna get the money and term he wants from soneone if its not us. We are just going to have to roll the dice with it.

He would be a fool to sign a 2 year deal at a small discount which would not be huge and not have the security if something happens. I assume these recent stretches make it even more important for the Karlsson camp to lock in a long term deal.

As mentioned, he getting 8 years from us, or 7 from someone. The risk and reward is a double edge sword, but given the reward minimum a few teams will be willing to take that risk no question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad