Injury Report: EK65

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
There's no real evidence to support holding him out until any predetermined amount of time. He should play when they feel confident he can skate well again and push hard.

They screwed that up last time lol. This late in the year don’t you think better safe then sorry in order to avoid another setback? Muscle strains are tricky

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They screwed that up last time lol. This late in the year don’t you think better safe then sorry in order to avoid another setback? Muscle strains are tricky

I do believe it's better to be safe than sorry but setting a predetermined amount of time for it isn't being safe either. It's just doing what sounds good. Muscle strains are tricky. No set amount of time is to be used for it because it's different for different people in different cases with different degrees of strains.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I do believe it's better to be safe than sorry but setting a predetermined amount of time for it isn't being safe either. It's just doing what sounds good. Muscle strains are tricky. No set amount of time is to be used for it because it's different for different people in different cases with different degrees of strains.
Yeah. It seems like a very tricky injury. It got re-aggravated because everything went wrong during the Boston game. Its not like they exactly rushed him in after the ASG. Practices are not exactly real games so players are less likely to go at 110% and push themselves.

I was a little surprised they let him back in after he already went off once during the Boston game. But I think there is blame to be shared between the coaching and training staff as well as EK65 himself. If one of them felt, or said, that he was not good to go, I doubt he would have been sent back on the ice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah. It seems like a very tricky injury. It got re-aggravated because everything went wrong during the Boston game. Its not like they exactly rushed him in after the ASG. Practices are not exactly real games so players are less likely to go at 110% and push themselves.

I was a little surprised they let him back in after he already went off once during the Boston game. But I think there is blame to be shared between the coaching and training staff as well as EK65 himself. If one of them felt, or said, that he was not good to go, I doubt he would have been sent back on the ice.

Yeah, DeBoer should've benched him as soon as he saw him go out there and skate after going off initially but the bulk of the blame still goes on the training staff for letting him out there to begin with when he shouldn't have been there to start the game much less after reinjuring it and again letting him back out there.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I think they got careless after he went out in the Columbus game. Letting him back in 3 days later seemed like a bad move. Grade 1 strains are what 3-6 weeks typically depending on the person? Assuming that’s what he has, I’m just suggesting they go on the more conservative side since he’s already suffered a couple of setbacks. What harm is there in shutting him down until the end of the regular season and making sure he’s as fresh as possible for what is hopefully a long playoff run.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think they got careless after he went out in the Columbus game. Letting him back in 3 days later seemed like a bad move. Grade 1 strains are what 3-6 weeks typically depending on the person? Assuming that’s what he has, I’m just suggesting they go on the more conservative side since he’s already suffered a couple of setbacks. What harm is there in shutting him down until the end of the regular season and making sure he’s as fresh as possible for what is hopefully a long playoff run.

I don't see a reason to assume that he has a grade 1 strain. That information just isn't out there from what I can tell. I agree they got careless or they lost sight of what's best for the player because they all want him to play but I don't think the solution is to predetermine a rest period for him. It just doesn't make any sense.

The harm in shutting him down until the end of the regular season is the assumption that he will be ready to play at playoff level after spending most of the second half of the season out of action. They need to get Karlsson on the ice in the games as soon as he is healthy. If he can't go out there at a morning skate and skate at full speed, he sits. If he can't go out there at a morning skate or a practice and not do quick cuts or stops and starts, he sits. It doesn't matter how long or little it takes.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I don't see a reason to assume that he has a grade 1 strain. That information just isn't out there from what I can tell. I agree they got careless or they lost sight of what's best for the player because they all want him to play but I don't think the solution is to predetermine a rest period for him. It just doesn't make any sense.

The harm in shutting him down until the end of the regular season is the assumption that he will be ready to play at playoff level after spending most of the second half of the season out of action. They need to get Karlsson on the ice in the games as soon as he is healthy. If he can't go out there at a morning skate and skate at full speed, he sits. If he can't go out there at a morning skate or a practice and not do quick cuts or stops and starts, he sits. It doesn't matter how long or little it takes.

I agree, I just don’t think they tested him thoroughly enough. i.e. quick cuts, full speed after the Columbus game which bit him in the ass in Boston. I hope they don’t accelerate the timeline. As long as he gets a few practices and 2-3 games in before the playoffs he should aces in regards to being able to play at a “playoff level” (not sure if you’re referring to his conditioning or timing)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree, I just don’t think they tested him thoroughly enough. i.e. quick cuts, full speed after the Columbus game which bit him in the ass in Boston. I hope they don’t accelerate the timeline. As long as he gets a few practices and 2-3 games in before the playoffs he should aces in regards to being able to play at a “playoff level” (not sure if you’re referring to his conditioning or timing)

There will likely be some conditioning issues for him at this point. He's essentially played three games and some change in the past two months. That should be pretty quickly alleviated with game action for him but timing will definitely be a thing if the idea is to play him with Vlasic again which I think is the right call for the team.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Don’t listen to them, they’re just teasing you.

EK re-signed two weeks ago and then left town. Last anyone saw him he was leaping out of a plane with a suitcase full of cash somewhere over the Atlantic.

We hope he’ll be back by the playoffs.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Don’t listen to them, they’re just teasing you.

EK re-signed two weeks ago and then left town. Last anyone saw him he was leaping out of a plane with a suitcase full of cash somewhere over the Atlantic.

We hope he’ll be back by the playoffs.
hahaha... well I hope you do... Clearly he's not coming back to Ottawa so I'd like that extra 1st when you guys win the cup this year... I'm cheering for you! Definitely over F'ing Vegas

Reactions: Sandisfan

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Absolutely stupid of the medical staff to even allow that to be his call. People should be fired over that.

Yep, I’m betting he still won’t be anywhere near 100% come playoff time. Crazy that they allowed him back on the ice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep, I’m betting he still won’t be anywhere near 100% come playoff time. Crazy that they allowed him back on the ice.

Yeah that is my impression as well. I don't want a Karlsson that can't play defense out there even if he can skate alright. I'd rather stick with the lineup we have than having Karlsson go out there like he did against Boston. It'll only hurt the team when he can't play, has to be benched, and likely brings down the morale of the team in the process.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
My conspiracy theory: Obviously EK65 wants to play. Obviously the Sharks want to re-sign him. The Sharks let him call the shots on this injury because they don't want to piss off their prized free agent-to be and it's blowing up in everyones face at the moment.

My other, somewhat conflicting, conspiracy theory: Ownership/Front Office insisted he take part in the ASG.

...I've been thinking about a complete strangers groin for far too long.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
EK didn’t look good coming back and neither did the team. I guess it will take the whole team some time again to adjust once he is back... will 5 regular season games be enough? Call me worried

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad