Proposal: EK to Pittsburgh

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
EK is not coming to the Pens. There is no deal that makes sense here

Dont get me wrong .. I'd love him here. But it not going to happen in any reality.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Enlighten us, because right now it looks like the Pens best trade chips are either too old or too expensive for the Sens to take on

Then clearly you don’t know anything about the Pens roster?

I’m not going to do your homework for you. You have access to the internet and can look for yourself.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The only way Karlsson goes to the Pens is if Malkin is coming back to Ottawa. I may overvalue the Sens players but Malkin for Karlsson isn't going to happen. So no deal to be had.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
Looooooooool. Wow delusional fans. Letang is worth nothing. Guentzel for Karlsson is also a joke. Karlsson has more value than Crosby. If he had more time on his contract a team would have to give up 4 1sts to get him as a starting point!!!!

Any Karlsson trade with more time on the contract starts with Sidney Crosby going the other way.

Ah yes, because Ottawa really wants a 31-year old Sidney Crosby while trying to rebuild their team.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
#1 D for #1 D

See Subban for Weber.

But there’s no strategic benefit to either side. Weber is at least a significantly different type of #1D compared to Subban.

You’re suggesting offensive PMD for offensive PMD.

Also, Letang isn’t of the same caliber, so it wouldn’t be a 1-for-1.

What COULD make sense is a three-way deal that sends Letang somewhere else. I could see that making sense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Bruins want Crosby. How do you feel about a Backes swap?

I get the point you're trying to make, but your analogy isn't accurate. The difference between Karlsson and Letang isn't anywhere close to as big as the difference between Crosby and Backes.

Letang's still a top pairing defender. He still produced 50 points in a down year. At their best, Karlsson's a 70+ point guy, Letang's a 60+ point guy. At their best, Karlsson is the best defenseman in hockey, while Letang has finished as high as 4th in Norris voting and has also finished 7th at another point in his career.

Backes produces at a third line rate at this point and even at his best never came close to producing what Crosby did.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The Bruins want Crosby. How do you feel about a Backes swap?

The gap between Letang and EK is exponentially less than the gap between Backes and Crosby.

- Letang will make 4-5M less than EK over each of next 5 years. Is production per $ that different?
- Letang puts up similar numbers
- Letang plays / can play similar minutes
- Letang and EK have similar speed
- Passing abilities are very, very similar.

Yes EK is the better player (second best defender in the NHL in my opinion), has less games missed to injury, takes less penalties, and with the time given - makes less mistakes.

Backes? Makes 2.7M less than Crosby... aaand that's where the comparison even comes remotely close. Utterly ridiculous comparison.
---

Any trade involving the Pens (somewhere EK would likely re-sign, which must be taken into account) without Ryan attached, absolutely gets you one of the bright young players (Guentzel /Sprong /Jarry) and draft picks. However, the Pens would want salary (Schultz /Letang /Kessel) going back in order to re-sign him- and depending on which player goes back, the package would change. None of the above are cap casualties - and each is absolutely worth their current contract. If the trade includes Ryan - then the Pens would flat out be off the table. His cap hit coupled with EK's significantly cripples our team going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad