Proposal: EK to Pittsburgh

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Definitely not trading Guentzel. Don’t even really want to move Letang that badly.

I would trade Kessel and Schultz in separate deals for a boat load of futures and then send those to OTT for an extended Karlsson.

The Pens could absolutely acquire the assets necessary for EK but I doubt they do it.

Dumoulin-Karlsson
Maatta/Johnson-Letang

Would be gross
It's going to be quality not quantity type deal. Pittsburgh doesn't have the pieces. Guentzel + Murray doesn't get it done. Look around at what other fanbases are offering. Kessel + Schultz scraps won't work.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
#1 D for #1 D

See Subban for Weber.

You might want to pick a better example. About the only one who thought that was good value was Bergevin- everyone else recognized that the Habs got f***ed from Day 1

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
there's no chance in hell this happens.

but if the Sens are making the team taking Ryan in the package the return will be underwhelming.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Again, Ottawa doesn't have a ton of choice here.
A) they need to move Karlsson between now and the TD
B) Karlsson has a NTC that will limit things slightly
C) The return that Ottawa will get if EK is a rental (aka him not being willing to sign with the team getting him) is going to diminish significantly if he refuses to sign an extension.

Don't think C) is a concern based on the article I read. Teams will be allowed to talk to EK's camp to see what kind of contract he is looking for.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-sens-give-teams-permission-to-talk-contract-with-karlsson-1.1129377

"The Ottawa Senators have given interested teams permission to talk contract extension with defenceman Erik Karlsson according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post."

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Karlsson>>Letang AINEC.

And I said otherwise?

The thing is, Ottawa's not getting the better trade in a Karlsson deal. They're not going to get a player who is as good as Karlsson. So getting someone who can replace his role (even not to the same degree) would be the best they can hope for.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure. Let’s expand it though. You add Sid, we will add Duchene.

#1C for #1C.

If Crosby was going to be UFA in a year, if Pittsburgh was going nowhere, and if he expressed interest in being traded because he (likely) wasn't going to re-sign in Pittsburgh, then your analogy of Duchene for Crosby might actually be the best the Pens could get (maybe add a draft pick or prospect on top of it) for him.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yeah Penguins arent giving up Guentzel for Karlsson.

About the only thing I could see is a swap of Karlsson for Letang.
Looooooooool. Wow delusional fans. Letang is worth nothing. Guentzel for Karlsson is also a joke. Karlsson has more value than Crosby. If he had more time on his contract a team would have to give up 4 1sts to get him as a starting point!!!!

Any Karlsson trade with more time on the contract starts with Sidney Crosby going the other way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Looooooooool. Wow delusional fans. Letang is worth nothing. Guentzel for Karlsson is also a joke. Karlsson has more value than Crosby. If he had more time on his contract a team would have to give up 4 1sts to get him as a starting point!!!!

Any Karlsson trade with more time on the contract starts with Sidney Crosby going the other way.

Right since you are a totally unbiased Penguins player evaluation...

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
I always find it funny when someone says if you want Karlsson then you must give up Guentzel. If you want Karlsson then you have to give up Letang. Yeah, that's if you are anywhere close to being good. And a minor tweak gets you back on track like with the Avalanche. When in reality what the Senators need is pieces. Accepting Guentzel, Sprong, 1st does nothing for the Senators. They'll pay Guentzel and then trade him when he is fed up with them. What they need is pieces. And then take those pieces and turn them into more pieces. So you end up in a place where Karlsson cleared the cap and you ended up getting you 10 pieces in return. That's how you turn around the Senators.

My deal:

Justin Schultz, Olli Maatta, Tristan Jarry, Daniel Sprong, Teddy Blueger, 2019 1st for Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan (1.5m retained)

Note: I'll take Bobby Ryan because I think Crosby can turn him into being a 30 goal scorer.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I always find it funny when someone says if you want Karlsson then you must give up Guentzel. If you want Karlsson then you have to give up Letang. Yeah, that's if you are anywhere close to being good. And a minor tweak gets you back on track like with the Avalanche. When in reality what the Senators need is pieces. Accepting Guentzel, Sprong, 1st does nothing for the Senators. They'll pay Guentzel and then trade him when he is fed up with them. What they need is pieces. And then take those pieces and turn them into more pieces. So you end up in a place where Karlsson cleared the cap and you ended up getting you 10 pieces in return. That's how you turn around the Senators.

My deal:

Justin Schultz, Olli Maatta, Tristan Jarry, Daniel Sprong, Teddy Blueger, 2019 1st for Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan (1.5m retained)

Note: I'll take Bobby Ryan because I think Crosby can turn him into being a 30 goal scorer.
Very Buffalo-Blues of you. Its either quantity or quality and both have upsides. Remember we were willing to pay 10 mil for Karlsson.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
EK playing in Pitt making 11m...
Thats more than Crosby and Malkin.

I do not necessarily think that Karlsson will end up in Pittsburgh, but I do think that Karlsson may insult the Sens management by signing for 10 mil (maybe even lower) with a new team (if it is the right team). I think it is obvious that he respects Crosby and it would not surprise me if he would want to play with him.

As for the trade concept, the penguins would be silly not to include Guentzel. The Penguins stars are known for making decent wingers good. Karlsson makes the penguins D very good and Karlsson has proven that he is a playoff beast.

Karlsson deserves so much more respect from the Senators organization. They should understand that the fans are all going to leave with him. Offering him 10 mil is a joke, if they understood there fanbase they would be offering him a McDavid contract to keep them happy. I still think Karlsson would say no at this point, but it would show the fanbase that they at least care about the fans.

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
EK..... who is UFA after this season, who has pretty much stated he won't resign with Ottawa and wants out, does not have alot of value compared to an EK who still has a 5-8 year deal.
That's Ottawas issue here. They're gonna get a pretty **** return for him in comparison to the great player he is.

Letang who is a good player and signed for a good few years + a top 3/6 forward would be great value to them considering the above. Hell i'd give up Kessel or Jake + Letang, just to get rid of Letang!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Let me explain why The Sens wouldn’t want Letang...

1. He costs money
2. His contract will be up before they are good again
3. Letang probably has them on his no trade list

All of these reasons are spot on, but #3 is especially important because it eliminates half the Pens roster. The only players I can see the Sens having an interest in (outside of the guys who aren't available/won't waive NTC's) are Guentzel, Sprong and Simon. If Guentzel is off the table I'm not sure there's a deal to be made between these two teams. There are teams that can absorb (a lot) more cap and that's the most important factor for any Karlsson trade, unfortunately.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Are you really comparing Karlsson to Letang??????????????????????

Comparison would have made a little more sense a year ago when there wasn’t a meh regular season and 6 games of the Caps making him look like a #6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad