Speculation: EK next offseason

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
EK has just be traded to the sharks but no extension is in place. Is there any realistic chance this guy hits UFA and wants to come to Detroit. I think there are 3 major keys: zetterberg, lidstrom, and Steve Yzerman. What do you guys think?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He's obviously going to test free agency. He'd be dumb not to at this point. He'll get $11+ million a season from somebody. Detroit will be one of those teams interested, clearly. I think he wants to be back in the Eastern Conference, so you think most teams will be looking for his services.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
EK has just be traded to the sharks but no extension is in place. Is there any realistic chance this guy hits UFA and wants to come to Detroit. I think there are 3 major keys: zetterberg, lidstrom, and Steve Yzerman. What do you guys think?
Here's the TSN link:

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-karlsson-to-sharks-1.1172297

It seems like Karlsson will just wait it out for free agency, which means a bidding war that would reset the market entirely. He's a great player, but I don't know that I'd want this stage of a rebuild to include a contract in the neighborhood of 8x$18M.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Here's the TSN link:

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-karlsson-to-sharks-1.1172297

It seems like Karlsson will just wait it out for free agency, which means a bidding war that would reset the market entirely. He's a great player, but I don't know that I'd want this stage of a rebuild to include a contract in the neighborhood of 8x$18M.

Thanks for sharing the link and a name so us lowly plebs could understand what EK referred to in the title. (#deathtouncommonacronyms)

Would be awesome to get Karlsson.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather not pay EK $12M+ in '19 on a 7 year deal. He hasn't been the same player defensively since the broken ankle & that could really backfire. He's probably above average defensively now & could get worse with age & or another injury. Teams would target the ankle also. Can you imagine $12M+ on LTIR??... We already have Franzen & Z eating all $8M LTIR, with $2.05M leftover for the next 2 seasons, til Franzen comes off.

As badly as we need a #1, and the boost to our offense & PP would be immeasurable, I'd rather have 2 Roman Josi types. or 1 Pietrangelo & 1 Ellis or a Drew Doughty. I think Cholo & Hronek will be our #3a & #3b, with DDK #4, but playing on top line with a strong #1/#2.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather not pay EK $12M+ in '19 on a 7 year deal. He hasn't been the same player defensively since the broken ankle & that could really backfire. He's probably above average defensively now & could get worse with age & or another injury. Teams would target the ankle also. Can you imagine $12M+ on LTIR??... We already have Franzen & Z eating all $8M LTIR, with $2.05M leftover for the next 2 seasons, til Franzen comes off.

As badly as we need a #1, and the boost to our offense & PP would be immeasurable, I'd rather have 2 Roman Josi types. or 1 Pietrangelo & 1 Ellis or a Drew Doughty. I think Cholo & Hronek will be our #3a & #3b, with DDK #4, but playing on top line with a strong #1/#2.

Ya I’d want 2 Roman Josi types as well but where on earth do you think we find that? Rarely do top flight d-men hit the open market. I throw the bank at EK.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Where did you get $18M...is that a typo?
The highest NHL salaries are currently just shy of $14M. So if there's an unprecedented free agent frenzy they totally resets the market, it should be significantly above that high water mark.

It might not reach $18M, but if several teams are bidding, I'd be very surprised if it's less than $16M.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Karlsson is not going to sign with a basement team. Which is what Detroit will be.
Detroit + Karlsson is probably not a basement team. There's also a limit to the amount of teams that can afford to pay Karlsson what he is worth on a 7-year deal, and Alfie has likely talked highly of the Wings organization and in Detroit, Karlsson would get to play for a healthy hockey franchise with a brand new arena and a history of spending money and competing. We would have lots of cap space with no big re-signings due.

We would have a chance. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but it can't be ruled out.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
The highest NHL salaries are currently just shy of $14M. So if there's an unprecedented free agent frenzy they totally resets the market, it should be significantly above that high water mark.

It might not reach $18M, but if several teams are bidding, I'd be very surprised if it's less than $16M.

So you think he will get max money?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ya I’d want 2 Roman Josi types as well but where on earth do you think we find that? Rarely do top flight d-men hit the open market. I throw the bank at EK.

Trade AA+pick(s)+prospects+depth player...and get a youngish #2. If the ankle injury never happened, I'd agree with you. EK went from +10 in 77gp to -25 in 71 gms...some of that or maybe a lot of that is on EK. The only real loss to OTT was Kyle Turris this past season iirc. Mobility for a Dman, especially EK who relies on his edgework/skating is huge. It's too high risk vs. reward. If we were a cup contender, then yeah try to go for it now a la SJ, then sell & restock the system or retool on the fly.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

You’re confusing salary and cap hit. No one in the league has a cap hit of 14 million, mcdavid is at 12.5 as the highest I believe. An 8 year/18 million a year contract would be ridiculous given where the ceiling is currently.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Karlsson signing an extension was contingent on his wife liking the city. Feels like that favors San Jose/nyr more than us.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Detroit + Karlsson is probably not a basement team. There's also a limit to the amount of teams that can afford to pay Karlsson what he is worth on a 7-year deal, and Alfie has likely talked highly of the Wings organization and in Detroit, Karlsson would get to play for a healthy hockey franchise with a brand new arena and a history of spending money and competing. We would have lots of cap space with no big re-signings due.

We would have a chance. I'm not holding my breath or anything, but it can't be ruled out.
But a player isn't going to gamble 5+ years of their career on what the team might be if they sign there. Especially when they're a lottery team that year before. That would be downright irrational.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
SY can purge Sergachev in '19 from TBL & bring Pat Verbeek, Jamie Pushor, Stacy Roest back with him to add to our scout core.

Dougie Hamilton is UFA in '21 & fits our window better.

We just have to be creative in trades...ROR got a garbage return, as did EK. We could've have outmatched STL's offer to BUF, if they had been willing to trade within conf/division. These are just 2 examples.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You’re confusing salary and cap hit. No one in the league has a cap hit of 14 million, mcdavid is at 12.5 as the highest I believe. An 8 year/18 million a year contract would be ridiculous given where the ceiling is currently.

And not technically possible! Wings could only offer 7 years and 16mil/year at this point.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Based on what San Jose gave up in return it seems like at this point there's a good chance Karlsson hits free agency. He may enjoy San Jose and sign an extension before then but my guess is if that was a strong possibility he would have signed an extension and Ottawa would have received a better return.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But a player isn't going to gamble 5+ years of their career on what the team might be if they sign there. Especially when they're a lottery team that year before. That would be downright irrational.
Anything is a gamble. I don't think a player would make a big life decision based on what a team was the year BEFORE. He would look at all angles, both on and off the ice. It's impossible to know what exactly he would give the most consideration, but after what he's gone through in Ottawa it's quite possible he would want to be in a place that has the ownership, GM and arena situation in top shape.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Odds are low. But if he gets to free agency, Detroit will likely offer as much as anyone else. I think they'll be more in the mix than they were for Stamkos, let me put it that way.

I think Karlsson knows a bunch of bottom feeders will offer him money, I think the dude wants to play for a winner.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Ek is going to test free agency

I have said it dozens of times, he has a very small number of teams he wants to play for.

I do believe detroit could be or will be one of those teams.

If SY does indeed come here than those chances go up.

It's a small chance but not unrealistic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad