Post-Game Talk: Eichel or McDavid - Bruins lose 4-0.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
its 3 games in and a sense of panic on the boards...:laugh:

this is a solid team... and they will not win every game.. they will make the playoffs and be a favorite.

the only change i would like to see is we get that winger number 17 back.. not sure who has been wearing his jersey..but hopefully he will be back and all will be well.

putabergeronthegrill

Oct 31, 2011
people always say we have zero finishers, but Soderberg, Eriksson, Marchand, and sometimes Bergeron all have plenty of finish, they just aren't playing the system well right now.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
PROVE IT.

If you want to flat out state it as a fact, prove it.
It's kind of just common sense if you take a look at our salary cap situation and the types of salaries D-Men not as good as Boychuk are commanding (Orpik for sure, I'd lump Niskanen in there too). Do you want to pay Boychuk $5.5M+ on D when we already pay Chara huge money, Seidenberg good money and have to extend both Dougie and Krug as RFA's next summer? Hope you are good with Soderberg walking and/or a weak forward core if that's that case.

I can buy the argument from others that we should've kept Boychuk (though my big concern remains on offense, so I want to see what's done at the deadline and if those picks/cap space help) and went all in to win again this year but it's not exactly a controversial statement to suggest Boychuk was gone as an unrestricted FA after the year when you look at the number of guys we have to pay (Soderberg UFA, Dougie+Krug+R.Smith as RFA's, now throw in Boychuk as an UFA as well) and the kind of $$$ Boychuk esque defenders or worse are commanding on the open market.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Well, next game is at home against a team with zero effort and zero finish (they have yet to score a goal this season), so the chance to get the Bruins back on track won't get any easier than this one. It's got snoozer written all over it.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
It's kind of just common sense if you take a look at our salary cap situation and the types of salaries D-Men not as good as Boychuk are commanding (Orpik for sure, I'd lump Niskanen in there too). Do you want to pay Boychuk $5.5M+ on D when we already pay Chara huge money, Seidenberg good money and have to extend both Dougie and Krug as RFA's next summer? Hope you are good with Soderberg walking and/or a weak forward core if that's that case.

I can buy the argument from others that we should've kept Boychuk (though my big concern remains on offense) and went all in to win again this year but it's not exactly a controversial statement to suggest Boychuk was gone as an unrestricted FA after the year when you look at the number of guys we have to pay (Soderberg UFA, Dougie+Krug+R.Smith as RFA's, now throw in Boychuk as an UFA as well).

says who?

by all accounts he loves Boston and wants to stay here. does that he mean he wouldn't take the highest offer and sign with whom ever, no not at all, he could very well do it.

or he could have stayed here, and signed a reasonable contract over the summer.

both points of veiw are speculative, so lets stop talking like one is a fact and the other isnt.

lets also remember, that we have close to 5 million $$$$ in dead cap space this year from Iginlas contract last year and other bonus's that wont be there next year. (plus savards LTIR)

and who says we have to resign Krug?

because everyone loves a small, mediocre defense-men who's great on the power play?

and i'll ask this again, what in the hell does next year have to do with this year?

decisions will have to be made. whos really worth what exactly cap wise? (is krejci really a 7.5 mill center next year? or is he just the best offensive center we have?)

if you you are trading away a top four defender this year for salary cap reasons for next year, that pretty much sums up where the team is heading this year.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well, next game is at home against a team with zero effort and zero finish (they have yet to score a goal this season), so the chance to get the Bruins back on track won't get any easier than this one. It's got snoozer written all over it.

Depends which team decides to snap out of playing crap hockey first.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Good question on the lines... I could see:

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic - Krejci - Griffith
Spooner/Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly/Spooner - Robins
Fraser

Adding Krejci back in makes such a huge difference. I really like the look of that lineup.

Krejci stabilizes the forward lines - hope he is back Monday.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Sucks to lose 4-0, but I'd rather face a bit of adversity during the season and peak at the right time than be regular season heavyweights and flounder in the playoffs. GTFO those of you who are pushing the panic button after 3 games.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Oh, and our speed issues are overstated around here -- having success is about playing a "heavy", tenacious game, not just speed (otherwise Spooner would be the bestest). The Bergeron and Soderberg lines bring this quality even though they aren't particularly fast. The Krejci line will bring it too once everyone is healthy. It would be nice to acquire a speedy RW for the top line, but overall I don't think our lack of speed will necessarily hold us back.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Oh, and our speed issues are overstated around here -- having success is about playing a "heavy", tenacious game, not just speed (otherwise Spooner would be the bestest). The Bergeron and Soderberg lines bring this quality even though they aren't particularly fast. The Krejci line will bring it too once everyone is healthy. It would be nice to acquire a speedy RW for the top line, but overall I don't think our lack of speed will necessarily hold us back.

This team ****ing sucks right now, sorry. I'm sure it will get better, but how much better?

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
This team ****ing sucks right now, sorry. I'm sure it will get better, but how much better?
Talk to me after the deadline and that will be a lot easier to answer. They have a gaping hole at that top line RW, but list all the other holes on the roster? It's essentially the same roster that had the best record in the league last year with the exception of the massive, gaping hole that went completely unaddressed when we lost Iginla. Boychuk gone too, but replaced by Seidenberg who had a limited impact on last year's team due to injury.

The team will improve enough to fairly easily make the playoffs. Beyond that, whether they will become a team with a legit shot at the Cup will depend on what Chiarelli does with that top line RW spot by the deadline, and what kind of injuries the team suffers throughout the course of the season.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
We all know how unimportant the regular season really is when determining success in the playoffs

The kings have won twice in the last two years, one of which they placed 8th in the west and couldn't score a goal to save their lives in the regular season. I think they did better last year but still struggled.

I like the bruins facing diversity now...I feel they do a lot better when they don't get that false sense of security from the regular season. Rask is going to be a huge factor in our success. He was crap against the habs, I don't care how many open nets we missed.

Trouble is...I see red flags with this team like I haven't see in awhile...I'm not sure it's just early season pains

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005

Boy are you dreaming. Today's NHL is all about speed. Chia was pissy in last years playoffs about being a cussed that his team lacked foot speed. He did not address this during the off season and now we see the issues of a slow team.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
2 more assists for boychuk tonight on the isles PP. 1 goal and 4 assists on the season to lead the Bruins in points..i mean the islanders.

"CHIARELLI!" *pounds fist on table*

Like you I HATE this trade. Hate it hate it hate it. Hate it the same way I hate the Habs . Yeah it sucks THAT much. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Eriksson has finish? Please show me the stats on that.

---------
2008-09 Dallas Stars NHL 82 36 27 63 14 14
2009-10 Dallas Stars NHL 82 29 42 71 26 -4
2010-11 Dallas Stars NHL 79 27 46 73 8 10
2011-12 Dallas Stars NHL 82 26 45 71 12 18

----------
I do think the problem is not talent.

We do have holes, but I am with Dom, let's wait maybe not till Christmas but 20 games.

Most crying against CJ, Chiarelli and lack of finishing were enjoying when the Bruins Kicked the Pen's out with Malkin and Crosby in.

Chemistry is the most important part. When it's there, the cake lift up and takes form. Right now Johnny Bo loss might be more important in the dressing room than on the ice (that said I hate that trade) and DK out lives the team out of a big part of whats needed to lift the cake.

I suggest : Patience and confidence.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
---------
2008-09 Dallas Stars NHL 82 36 27 63 14 14
2009-10 Dallas Stars NHL 82 29 42 71 26 -4
2010-11 Dallas Stars NHL 79 27 46 73 8 10
2011-12 Dallas Stars NHL 82 26 45 71 12 18

----------
I do think the problem is not talent.

We do have holes, but I am with Dom, let's wait maybe not till Christmas but 20 games.

Most crying against CJ, Chiarelli and lack of finishing were enjoying when the Bruins Kicked the Pen's out with Malkin and Crosby in.

Chemistry is the most important part. When it's there, the cake lift up and takes form. Right now Johnny Bo loss might be more important in the dressing room than on the ice (that said I hate that trade) and DK out lives the team out of a big part of whats needed to lift the cake.

I suggest : Patience and confidence.

His numbers in Dallas mean very little to me.

Guy has been a bust here since day 1. He's the same type of redundant player we already have in guys like Kelly, Paille, Campbell, Caron. Only difference is that he was the key piece in trading away a guy who will probably once again be top 5 in League scoring this year. People still defending the trade or Loui need to give it a rest.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Good question on the lines... I could see:

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic - Krejci - Griffith
Spooner/Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly/Spooner - Robins
Fraser

Adding Krejci back in makes such a huge difference. I really like the look of that lineup.

I liked his forechecking in game one, but when Robins dumped it in when the Bruins were on a 4 on 2 yesterday he lost me. Id rather put Gagne in there.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Stars are 0-1-1 and Seguin has zero points. Omg quick panic in Dallas!

naaaa, it's too early across the board for anyone to panic. Taylor Hall also has no points (which my pool team hates btw). Btw I hate the 4-0 loss, but another guy I'm happy for is Trotz. Good dude. I wish him plenty of regular season success, and no playoff success against us ;)

Mr. Kessel also 0-0-0. Why didn't Chia try Boychuk on the RW!! :scared:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Mr. Kessel also 0-0-0. Why didn't Chia try Boychuk on the RW!! :scared:

Honestly would not have been a horrible idea :laugh:

Played forward in the day...

If the plan is to experiment as Dom says, why not eventually try;

Looch - Kray - Griff
Marchy - Bergy - Smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Spooner - Knight

Trade Campbell for help on offense or defense (with pk in mind) and then go all in at the deadline for a RW

Can't see chia acquiring all those players before February though

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Honestly would not have been a horrible idea :laugh:

Played forward in the day...

If the plan is to experiment as Dom says, why not eventually try;

Looch - Kray - Griff
Marchy - Bergy - Smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Kelly
Paille - Spooner - Knight

Trade Campbell for help on offense or defense (with pk in mind) and then go all in at the deadline for a RW

Can't see chia acquiring all those players before February though

Kelly gonna be awfully tired.

:D

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
It's weird, I really could swear that a lot of people wanted to give Horton pretty big money to stay here, and were mad at Chia for letting him walk. Awfully quiet about that around here now that Horton is a useless in and out the lineup cap drain....

Aren't you the person who proclaimed the Bruins won the Dallas trade because of Peverley's unforeseen problem?

Either way, I wanted the Bruins to sign Nathan Horton because he had chemistry with the top line and with his departure it would leave a big hole. However, I am not against letting players walk, I am against not replacing that player who walk. Players leave all the time, for business, for family, etc. that's life. It's job of the general manager is to ice the most competitive roster.

Unless you had a crystal ball and foresee the future, your little rant is rather meaningless. I am sure most people wanted Horton to say, but if he had to go then find a replacement, the Bruins did that but Chiarelli gave a dumb contract and should've moved out salary.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
PROVE IT.

If you want to flat out state it as a fact, prove it.

If he were truly part of the B's futur plans, Chiarelli would have extended him when he extended Krejci.

Chiarelli has extended the core of this team the year before their current deal ends.

Between this, his comments at the press conference and what many insiders have reported, it is beyond obvious he was out of here.

His comment at the press conference was that he and JB's agent never discussed an extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad