Post-Game Talk: Eichel or McDavid - Bruins lose 4-0.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
If he were truly part of the B's futur plans, Chiarelli would have extended him when he extended Krejci.

Chiarelli has extended the core of this team the year before their current deal ends.

Between this, his comments at the press conference and what many insiders have reported, it is beyond obvious he was out of here.

His comment at the press conference was that he and JB's agent never discussed an extension.

and how does this go towards the of point of proving the previous statements?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
and how does this go towards the of point of proving the previous statements?

Chiarelli has set a precedence when it comes to contract extensions and it is clear that Johnny Boychuk did not fit into future plans and thus, was not coming back here at the end of the season no matter how much he loves the city.

i think the word you are looking for isn't proof but rather reason.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Chiarelli has set a precedence when it comes to contract extensions and it is clear that Johnny Boychuk did not fit into future plans and thus, was not coming back here at the end of the season no matter how much he loves the city.

i think the word you are looking for isn't proof but rather reason.

I'd have to disagree with him not fitting into future plans, and as much as chia has resigned guys early, I don't think in this case that would have been any indication.

Chia got burned last season/this season with the salary cap not going up as much as everyone thought, he also got burned signing Seguin to an extension (who by all accounts wasn't a part of the 'core' going forward)

I just take exception to everyone claiming that Boychuck priced himself out of Boston for next year this year.

that argument is just flawed to me.

Theres close to 5 million in dead cap space this year, plus what ever the cap goes up by.

there are other players that may not be back, or may not be wanted back as well. (Kelley, if he plays well could be gone for example)

its the premise that it is now accepted as fact that we couldn't afford Boychuck next year, so he had to go this year, and the team is weaker because of it.

it seems more like a handy excuse and rationalization to say we couldn't afford him next year when no one really knows at this point.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Ya I have to agree

With Seidenberg coming off a major injury and getting older, and Chara getting older, it would have been very valuable to keep him here and I just don't buy that there weren't other options even if it meant losing certain players for nothing, losing Boychuk for nothing next year, or trading other guys at the deadline for cap space and forward help

I think Johnny would have signed here at a discount and with the cap going up, Iginla's dead hit coming off, I think it would have been doable and worth a try for the type of player Johnny is

I won't condemn Chiarelli, but I'm going to be very critical of him and the team this year. He needs to prove he made the right decision and it was more than a gamble

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
if the cap stays flat in comparison to this year (which it won't, should only go up) the B's would have had 15million to shore up: Boychuk, Hamilton, Krug, McQuaid on D, with Soderberg, Smith up front. Other spots would be up, too, including Paille, Campbell.

Depending on the deals, I could see 5 of those guys accounting for 20 million. But it really depends on how much the cap will go up, if the escalator will be used by players, etc., Cap could go up 5-6 naturally and the escalator could push it higher... maybe there's enough if you move some of the other contracts...

I still would have liked to see Johnny stay. We're a better team with him - but I'm willing to see what Chiarelli does. He hinted at alternative moves but how long will those take?

If we could all see PC's playbook, I wonder if the board would be in as much extraneous uproar as it is...

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I'd have to disagree with him not fitting into future plans, and as much as chia has resigned guys early, I don't think in this case that would have been any indication.

Chia got burned last season/this season with the salary cap not going up as much as everyone thought, he also got burned signing Seguin to an extension (who by all accounts wasn't a part of the 'core' going forward)

I just take exception to everyone claiming that Boychuck priced himself out of Boston for next year this year.

that argument is just flawed to me.

Theres close to 5 million in dead cap space this year, plus what ever the cap goes up by.

there are other players that may not be back, or may not be wanted back as well. (Kelley, if he plays well could be gone for example)

its the premise that it is now accepted as fact that we couldn't afford Boychuck next year, so he had to go this year, and the team is weaker because of it.

it seems more like a handy excuse and rationalization to say we couldn't afford him next year when no one really knows at this point.

The Seguin trade put them in this mess. If they kept him and placed him on the right wing of either of the top two lines he would fill the net. Short sighted of chia to do patch work on the right wing. Remember Smith was basicly a throw in the Bruins had there eyes on anther player.

Come on guys wake up. Seguin one in a lifetime player and we traded him for filler.
When will chia hit on a draft pick not handed to him by Toronto.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I take it you're not going to give him any credit for the goal today?

Watching the game right now. Loui just scored to tie it. It was his typical "gift" goal. Any beer leaguer puts that juicy rebound in the net.

But, with time winding down in the first, LE gets a perfect pass in the slot but takes too long to shoot and his stick gets checked so the shot goes very wide.

You have to lower the standards if LE is being considered a top line talent these days.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Watching the game right now. Loui just scored to tie it. It was his typical "gift" goal. Any beer leaguer puts that juicy rebound in the net.

But, with time winding down in the first, LE gets a perfect pass in the slot but takes too long to shoot and his stick gets checked so the shot goes very wide.

You have to lower the standards if LE is being considered a top line talent these days.

First of all, that's ********.

Second of all, what does it matter if he scores a so-called "gift goal?" If he scores 35 of those, are you going to complain that it isn't good enough.

He can't win with some of you when he doesn't score, he can't win with some of you when he does score.

:shakehead

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho

Second of all, what does it matter if he scores a so-called "gift goal?" If he scores 35 of those, are you going to complain that it isn't good enough.

He can't win with some of you when he doesn't score, he can't win with some of you when he does score.

Really? You don't agree with my post so it's ****? Who anointed you the HF Boards monarch?

I would be elated if LE scores 35 goals in any fashion. I was simply stating that this particular goal was nothing to celebrate in terms of LE somehow emerging from his funk. His game still looks far from the level it needs to be if he is going to be as productive as advertised.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

Beer leaguer would take forever to rotate to his forehand and fall backwards while hacking at the puck in a feeble attempt to bobble it into the goalie's outstretched pad.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Beer leaguer would take forever to rotate to his forehand and fall backwards while hacking at the puck in a feeble attempt to bobble it into the goalie's outstretched pad.

Yes, but the puck would trickle under the pad, and three other guys would fall over the sprawled shooter, so it becomes a great story in the room while cracking the LaBatts

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

He's on pace for 20 points for the year. What? :sarcasm:

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
I'm thinking Loui needs a bit of time to get back to his usual self.
(I recall how Bergeron had to be traded the year he came back.)
But even with that, the B's need someone up front that pushes back the D and can finish.
I have a feeling Chia had something lined up but things fell through, imagine that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad