Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
The league (and HF boards) assume Buffalo will cave and accept a lowball rather than start the season with Eichel on the roster.

Buffalo needs to start the season with Eichel on the roster and he needs to play well. Adams can then get the price he wants if he’s willing to take cap back.

Sabres are clearly tanking, so any damage Eichel being in the locker room causes is a bonus.

So Eichel needs surgery but wont get surgery because Buffalo refuses to allow him to receive the surgery he prefers... yet he'll be in the opening night lineup and "play well"?

Buffalo fans are out to lunch.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Well Buffalo fans, this has been fun.

I am sure with the news yesterday about the Rangers trade for Ryan Reaves, securing their 1C of now and the future, was shocking and upsetting news.

I wish you all the best of luck, may your journey find you peace and happiness.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Im sure whatever team acquires Eichel will let him have surgery. Why else would acquire one of the best centers in the NHL if youre not going to do what needs to be done to keep him happy.

If the recovery time is as bad as expected though, what team would possibly trade for him? Youre basically giving up a season because of his cost.

It would be like buying a car and then taking the bus to work all year because it needs repairs.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So Eichel needs surgery but wont get surgery because Buffalo refuses to allow him to receive the surgery he prefers... yet he'll be in the opening night lineup and "play well"?

I think the way Eichel's training pretty clearly hints that the rehab the Sabres insisted he do before considering any surgery worked, but he's too chickenshit to publicly backtrack now

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Have people heard what Js Dea said on french radio this week about Eichel ?

He made the comparison between Eichel and Crosby and the big point is that Eichel is not a leader (which is more than fine) and isn't really helpful with the prospects and new guys... As a Captain it shows a lot.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Or how monumentally stupid it would be to:

1. Get nothing from Eichel
2. Watch your young players get disillusioned by the poor treatment of Eichel
3. Watch free agent refuse to sign
4. Give rise to possible locker room issues.
5. Challenge your team's ability to rebuild through the best years of your new young stars
6. Give rise to fan disillusionment
7. Lose 10's of millions of dollars.

And what do your get out of all this? The off chance someone gets desperate and a 2nd rounder in their offer becomes a 1st rounder?

Man, no wonder the sabres suck. They are run by idiots.
1) They are going to get a good package for Eichel, whether that's now, during the season, or next offseason. I have no issue waiting if the offers aren't there.
2) Poor treatment of Eichel? That's an absolute crock of shit and I say that as a person who's always willing to call out the idiocy of the Sabres franchise. They've treated Eichel just fine.
3) They already refuse to sign. Build a winner and that changes everything.
4) This is a possibility, but I'll take my chances if we're getting low balled on Eichel offers.
5) How exactly does keeping Eichel challenge our ability to rebuild? By taking the tough matchups and insulating the young guys? Or does keeping Eichel with very little proven talent around him propel us up the standings? Because I doubt that's the case either.
6)Fans are already disillusioned. You want that to get worse? Trade Eichel for a pile of shit and tell them you just wanted to move on.
7) There could be some money issues involved. The team hasn't done well in recent years and as a result the team is losing money, but they've already significantly slashed salary going into next year.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I think you under estimate how bad it would make Adams look if they started the season with Eichel in the room. I know he said he would do it but it is not what he wants either and everyone knows it
Look bad to who?? Adams doesn’t care. More importantly. The Pegula’s don’t care.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Have people heard what Js Dea said on french radio this week about Eichel ?

He made the comparison between Eichel and Crosby and the big point is that Eichel is not a leader (which is more than fine) and isn't really helpful with the prospects and new guys... As a Captain it shows a lot.

I don't think anybody trading for Eichel is gonna make him the captain.

Reactions: Jacob582

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Pretty sure he does.
That's not how that works. If doctors deem him medically able to play and he refuses, he doesn't get paid. If he's not cleared to play he goes on LTIR and insurance pays 80% of his contract. Either way it's no/very small financial commitment for the team.
(If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me. This was something I've read a few times. Most recently with Kucherov.)

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

The rehab appears to have worked. But if he still needs to have surgery, have him get the surgery and then play him once he's healthy and show he is a 95 point pace player again. Then trade him.

My point remains the same, the only thing that changes is the timeline on when Jack would be on the ice. Buffalo needs to keep him to prove they won't cave in on lowball offers.

2021-22 looks to be a bottom 2 finish for the Sabres with or without Jack Eichel, so there is no harm in keeping him longer to ensure we extract full value.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I think the way Eichel's training pretty clearly hints that the rehab the Sabres insisted he do before considering any surgery worked, but he's too chickenshit to publicly backtrack now

Which is why the medical records showing his progress and lack of long term neck injury are being shown to all potential suitors.

The mental gymnastics being performed by Buffalo fans is honestly amazing.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Which is why the medical records showing his progress and lack of long term neck injury are being shown to all potential suitors.

Okay, Okay you win. Please accept Eichel for Strome+Kravstov+1st please, the Sabres will be lucky to get a conditional 7th unless we give him to you guys.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
The rehab appears to have worked.

huh? Because you saw him skating on some instagram video? ... sigh...

If he still needs to have surgery, have him get the surgery and then play him once he's healthy and show he is a 95 point pace player again. Then trade him.

It's pretty obvious Buffalo doesn't want him to have his preferred surgery because they are afraid he wont 100% recover.

My point remains the same, the only thing that changes is the timeline on when Jack would be on the ice.

Your point does not remain the same, the longer he needs surgery but does not receive surgery, the more his value falls.

Buffalo needs to keep him to prove they won't cave in on lowball offers.

Cool story bro... but in the end, you take the best value you can get. Right now only Buffalo and their fans believe he has the value that they are demanding.
It's only a lowball offer if its not market value. It's pretty clear that the market has made Eichel's value clear.

2021-22 looks to be a bottom 2 finish for the Sabres with or without Jack Eichel, so there is no harm in keeping him longer to ensure we extract full value.

If he goes LTIR this season it becomes harder to trade him. So yeah... there is harm there. Pushing his recovery timeline down the road is harmful to both him and his potential trade partners.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

They've said multiple times they would disclose full medicals for a team when they are close to a deal. It absolutely makes sense that Buffalo wouldn't want to fax Eichel's entire personal medical record to 31 teams right off the hop. "Here guys! take a look at all the weak spots of our star player in preparation for the coming season!"

Like how is this even a question in a league where when it comes to disclosure of injuries teams never even get more specific than upper body and lower body. You don't have a decent offer? Well then you don't need the medicals, give a good offer and you will get the meds to look over before we make it official.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
They've said multiple times they would disclose full medicals for a team when they are close to a deal. It absolutely makes sense that Buffalo wouldn't want to fax Eichel's entire personal medical record to 31 teams right off the hop. "Here guys! take a look at all the weak spots of our star player in preparation for the coming season!"

Like how is this even a question in a league where when it comes to disclosure of injuries teams never even get more specific than upper body and lower body. You don't have a decent offer? Well then you don't need the medicals, give a good offer and you will get the meds to look over before we make it official.

Again... mental gymnastics...

They are getting offers lower than their asking price because teams believe he will need surgery and will miss months and may not even recover 100%.

If you want value, and he has actually recovered, you disclose anything and everything related to his neck injury.

No one is talking about releasing his entire medical history, just the latest scans or whatever showing his progress.

This is just common sense.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Any interested team will insist on new imaging, and to have their doctors examine Jack.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1) They are going to get a good package for Eichel, whether that's now, during the season, or next offseason. I have no issue waiting if the offers aren't there.
2) Poor treatment of Eichel? That's an absolute crock of shit and I say that as a person who's always willing to call out the idiocy of the Sabres franchise. They've treated Eichel just fine.
3) They already refuse to sign. Build a winner and that changes everything.
4) This is a possibility, but I'll take my chances if we're getting low balled on Eichel offers.
5) How exactly does keeping Eichel challenge our ability to rebuild? By taking the tough matchups and insulating the young guys? Or does keeping Eichel with very little proven talent around him propel us up the standings? Because I doubt that's the case either.
6)Fans are already disillusioned. You want that to get worse? Trade Eichel for a pile of shit and tell them you just wanted to move on.
7) There could be some money issues involved. The team hasn't done well in recent years and as a result the team is losing money, but they've already significantly slashed salary going into next year.
1. The offers arent likely to change much. Either theyre already good or theyre bad, but they aren't going from bad to good or good to bad.

2. The injury issue is a huge one for a lot of players. I'm don't want to re-litigate the whole thing, but it should go without saying that it doesnt do the Sabres any favours among players and potential UFAs to refuse to let a player take a course of treatment and then interfere with his career by refusing to trade him because you dont like the offers.

3. You just signed Skinner and Hall, for better and worse, which is more than Ottawa has ever gotten. I dont think that happens again. I dont think UFAs will like management interfering with their treatment.

5. I was more referring to the fact that the prospects and young players you get for Eichel can help immediately. Eichel sitting for a year or five doesnt help the team. What Eichel returns DOES help the team.

6. You can always sell people on hope. Seeing negative attention in the media for years drains people. Im an Ottawa fan, remember Yashin? Remember how long that went on? The damage it did to the franchise? The fanbase? Moving forward turns the negative articles about Eichel into " look at how well prospect is doing" articles.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Again... mental gymnastics...

They are getting offers lower than their asking price because teams believe he will need surgery and will miss months and may not even recover 100%.

If you want value, and he has actually recovered, you disclose anything and everything related to his neck injury.

No one is talking about releasing his entire medical history, just the latest scans or whatever showing his progress.

This is just common sense.

It is not common sense to send his medical records all willy nilly to any team that says they might maybe offer a whiff of a 1st round pick. It's stupid. It's one of the stupidest things i have heard actually.

Arizona: yea we decided we want Eichel, our starting offer is a 7th round pick and Shane Doan's used jockstrap.
Buffalo: Sure! Here are the personal medical records of our star player!

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Any interested team will insist on new imaging, and to have their doctors examine Jack.

I agree, but what is the point in proceeding with that process if you aren't already close to a deal? Why fly Jack all around the country to be inspected and get new imaging 4 or 5 times for teams just because they said they were interested? It makes no sense.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Only after a trade goes through. Every trade in the NHL is contingent on the players involved passing a physical with their new team. Eichel isn't getting examined by another team's doctor until after the trade goes through.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t think this will be the case. But if it is the case, it will mean that there are a bunch of NHL teams that could have had Jack Eichel if only they would have been willing to give a bit more. Time will tell on who looks foolish on that.

And 1 NHL team that could have had him without giving up a single asset.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
It is not common sense to send his medical records all willy nilly to any team that says they might maybe offer a whiff of a 1st round pick. It's stupid. It's one of the stupidest things i have heard actually.

Arizona: yea we decided we want Eichel, our starting offer is a 7th round pick and Shane Doan's used jockstrap.
Buffalo: Sure! Here are the personal medical records of our star player!

Straw man argument...

No one is saying that they should be sent to every team. But it is prudent to send them to any potential suitor that has both shown interest, and has the assets that Buffalo is seeking. If a potential trade can happen, then it makes sense to showcase the value that he has and eliminate any/all concerns on his neck injury.

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1