Confirmed with Link: Ehrhoff Released From PTO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Colin Miller caught crap and I understand but his skills are very good and you can tell he was forcing it and pressing

He easily looked like an NHL skater and other skills passing and shooting as well and I sat first and third period in the second row in back of goal judge so I could focus from a different area. I actually amid the **** storm liked a lot at what he showed

He's not soft either

Tough guy to give up on

He's a guy in 2 years is playing for Vegas or Vancouver and putting up 50 points and 15 goals

The angst directed toward him is waaaaay overreactive

exactly, he`s a young D-man who makes young D-man mistakes but a guy I could see very much being a solid NHL player. I`m a bit more sold on him than Morrow who I also like, but not as much

As for Ehroff, I think too many are complicating things. He`s a camp invite, unless he absolutely outplays those in camp, he won`t get signed. I just don`t see him being a guy that CJ will find can play within his system and be successful but I`ve been wrong more than my share of times

He`s here for the B`s to get a look at, if he impresses, he`ll get an offer, if not, he`s gone

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Off the top of my head, Buffalo, Edmonton and New Jersey would take Morrow.

BUFF
Ristolainen
Kulikov
Bogosian
Gorges
McCabe
Franson (who stinks but still is better than Morrow)
They also signed college UFA Casey Nelson who got into 7 games for them at the end of the season and had 4 assists.

NJ
Greene
Lovejoy
Moore
Quincey
Severson
Merrill
Helgeson
Santini
Auvitu(just signed from France, won best Dman in Finland Liiga last year and has been terrific in the preseason).

They could send Santini and Auvitu to Albany and could do the same for Helgeson if they felt like waiving him, but why spend 800k + waiver claim fee to pick up a guy who might be your 8th best D?

EDM
Sekera
Larsson
Klefbom
Davidson
Nurse
Fayne
Oesterle

Sure, maybe Morrow is better than Fayne, but they aren't sending 3.6m to the minors. Maybe he's better than Oesterle, but Oesterle has been better in the minors and about the same in the pros.

Maybe a GM out there loves him from when he was considered a prospect and would want to grab him for a peeksie, but the guy is a fringe NHLer at this point, and guys like that pass through waivers all the time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gormley just passed through waivers. I'm sure Morrow would.

Gormley cleared waivers last season too.

Morrow > Gormley.

Imagine a couple of year ago, some posters here wanted to trade Reilly Smith straight up to Arizona for Gormley.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Gormley cleared waivers last season too.

Morrow > Gormley.

Imagine a couple of year ago, some posters here wanted to trade Reilly Smith straight up to Arizona for Gormley.

Heh. Yeah, Gormley seems to be this name that is bandied around here. He hasn't really done anything to deserve the attention.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
If Ehrhoff gets a deal, yeah he probably gets the benefit of the doubt from Julien more than Morrow or Colin will. Totally agree.

Boston can carry 8 D if they want and not expose Morrow or Colin to waivers.

I'm with you I don't like it either, I felt it was a requirement to break-in one young D-man on that 3rd pair this year. Still do.

Before coming over from Carolina, Liles was playing in their Top 4 and playing well. Ehrhoff meanwhile was a healthy scratch more often than not. Chicago trusted him enough to give him the whole 8 regular season games and zero playoff games after coming over from LA.

Liles was better than Ehrhoff then, he's probably better than Ehrhoff now.

Simply put, they knew what they had in Liles, Ehrhoff was a total question mark on July 1, and is still a question mark now. I'll wait until he signs a deal and is in the line-up opening night with Colin and Morrow sitting the press-box before going crazy over this move.

Well I'm operating under the assumption that hes going to make the team (for discussions sake). They wouldn't have invited him to camp if they weren't considering him for a spot.

I liked the JML signing. No risk 1 year deal which will serve as a fantastic bridge between him and the vets. The team is still competitive, you can't go into the year with two unproven young players as your bottom pairing.

I'm guessing they're fine with putting Morrow on waivers if he isnt one of the top 7 on this team. Hes had his chances and he isnt old but he certainly isnt "young" anymore. If he cant crack the top 7 on THIS defense I think the ship has sailed.

With that said, if Erhoff/C Miller are your 6/7 d men Erhoff will play 9 times out of 10 with Julien behind the bench. Sweeney knows this.

I guess my point is C Miller as the 7th D man doesn't make sense. At least with Morrow/C Miller as your 6/7 ONE of them always had to play. Erhoff could be a decent low risk signing as well, but it could be at the expense of developing C Miller.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don't care if a player is 18 or 52... if he helps the team win hockey games then he should be playing.
Players do actually develop in the AHL. They don't have to play in the NHL to see if they can actually play in the NHL.

We've seen plenty of guys tear up the AHL and not be able to do it in the NHL. Don't agree at all.

At some point you need to do it at the NHL level.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ian-ehrhoff/hKWKjieddDLTWUoPfqZeRI/story.html

“He’s always been a guy that’s skated well, moved the puck well,†Julien said Monday after the Bruins practiced at Warrior Arena. “Good heads-up kind of player. The way he competed in the World Cup is what probably got our attention, and mine’s probably a closer look, I guess. I thought he competed really well.â€

Ehrhoff donned the Spoked-B and skated with the Bruins for the first time Monday.

“I think the opportunity in Boston is a good one,†Ehrhoff said. “And there had been some continuous dialogue, and that’s why I’m here now.â€

The 6-foot-2-inch, 200-pound Ehrhoff has played in 789 career games and has 74 goals and 265 assists. He has played for the Sharks, Canucks, Sabres, Penguins, Kings, and Blackhawks. He skated in 40 games for the Kings during the first half of last season before he was traded to Chicago.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I wish one of the reporters had the guts to asked him how it feels skating with the hombre.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I wish one of the reporters had the guts to asked him how it feels skating with the hombre.

Yeah, that would have been the first question that she should have asked. Makes you wonder how people get to do interviews like this when they haven't the imagination to think of questions that the reader wants to hear and would ask if he/she were doing the interview.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Its basically Erhoff v. Morrow at this point, and we all know whats gonna happen with Julien behind the bench. As long as C Miller gets some consistent time to prove himself I dont care.

Who knows, maybe Morrow playing with Carlo in Providence could be good for both of them (Assuming Morrow clears waivers).

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Ehrhoff has a James Bond Villain vibe around him. I want him signed just so I can hear that accent in postgame interviews.

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Maybe the new strategy is to sign these types of players that will hold value at trade deadline and peddle for a draft pick if they are out of playoff hunt?

Would guess he only makes the team if it makes the B's better but there could be a silver lining if it fails.

Same with Moore.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
What's the record for oldest age average for a top 6? We'd come in at 32 as the avg for our top 6 if Erhoff is in. I'm trying to recall if the Devils or someone like that ever had older. Would be neat if they could somehow have a salary cap senior's discount.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gormley just passed through waivers. I'm sure Morrow would.

I loved Gormley coming out. Very surprised at how his career has gone.

As for Erhoff- he's number 10 last worn by the Great Bochinski.

Claude loves him based on comments

Guys a high end patch work piece

Like this move - the only thing I love more then German women and German chocolate cake is a bargain quality German defenseman

Welcome to Boston Christian:handclap:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I loved Gormley coming out. Very surprised at how his career has gone.

As for Erhoff- he's number 10 last worn by the Great Bochinski.

Claude loves him based on comments

Guys a high end patch work piece

Like this move - the only thing I love more then German women and German chocolate cake is a bargain quality German defenseman

Welcome to Boston Christian:handclap:
Mmmmm Chocolate, and the other stuff.........:yo:

The Bruins would be better off if that had happened...

Exactly! That's thinking out of the HF box!:popcorn:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Given the end result (Hayes), there is some truth to this statement. :laugh:

Not to get off topic, but for those who appreciate their advanced stats (which I have no interest in), our old friend Reilly is ranked rather high among RWs. 4th best defensive RW in the game they say.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ranking-top-20-right-wingers-nhl-numbers/

I'm a big Barkov fan, so I watched a good number of Panthers games last year. Smith killed penalties and did play pretty effective defense. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers drop this year, but he's actually a better player than some here believed when the dealt him (WBC8 being the exception).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Given the end result (Hayes), there is some truth to this statement. :laugh:

Not to get off topic, but for those who appreciate their advanced stats (which I have no interest in), our old friend Reilly is ranked rather high among RWs. 4th best defensive RW in the game they say.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ranking-top-20-right-wingers-nhl-numbers/

Impressive.

But I would hate paying him 5.25.

Would also hate paying Dougie whatever he makes so I'm fine with 'losing' both trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad