Confirmed with Link: Ehrhoff Released From PTO

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

At the end of the day, it's not about money for him.

If I were him at his age, I want to play, every night if possible.

If that means playing everyday in the German league vs. watching from the Pressbox most nights (not to mention the travel, schedule, and everything that goes with it), I'd probably make the same decision.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Donny must feel the kids can fill the 7-8 role as needed.
Losing Ehrhoff is no biggy, but the D is going to kill us regardless.

As the annoyingly positive optimist, I am not so sure the D will be "that" bad...as in as bad as last year. Here is why:

1. So far in the preseason there have been some very positive things. The close games where they bend but do not break. The only game where they lost big time had C miller and McQaid, they rest are either in juniors or Providence now.

2. O'Gara and Carlo looked very composed in that last game where they contributed to the shutout. If they can keep up whatever they are doing it might be a very good season for them.

3. Krug and KMiller both got long term contracts and look ready to work, Krug especially.

4. No Irwin or Trotman from last year. Addition by subtraction

5. It has been very clearly stated that the best players will get to play and looks like a couple of rookies forced their way onto the roster. If they follow thru like the Red Sox did, it might work out well.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Also surprised. Not sure how he'd still look 40 games in but thought he had a decent World Cup/preseason and would play a fair amount of minutes for the team.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Not surprised just because of all the praises Julien was giving the kids. Chiller and Morrow both seemed to improve in the off season. If we didn't look like we had anyone that could step he makes a lot of sense but it seems the kids came prepared and left management feeling comfortable.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
As the annoyingly positive optimist, I am not so sure the D will be "that" bad...as in as bad as last year. Here is why:

1. So far in the preseason there have been some very positive things. The close games where they bend but do not break. The only game where they lost big time had C miller and McQaid, they rest are either in juniors or Providence now.

2. O'Gara and Carlo looked very composed in that last game where they contributed to the shutout. If they can keep up whatever they are doing it might be a very good season for them.

3. Krug and KMiller both got long term contracts and look ready to work, Krug especially.

5. It has been very clearly stated that the best players will get to play and looks like a couple of rookies forced their way onto the roster. If they follow thru like the Red Sox did, it might work out well.

lot's of talk about the D being poor and the reason the Bruins will fail to make the playoffs.

First, I think the D will soon be a force with all the prospects in the wing. So much upside at ELC money.

As for this year, Will this D be that bad? A better Tuukka could also mask the weakened if there is really one. In the end, I think the Bruins will allow less goals than last year. Doesn't that mean the D has improved?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Quite agree.

Laugh if you wish, but the D corps will be significantly better this year, even without the expected addition via trade. Expect Carlo & O'Gara to be in the lineup Thursday night.

Yes, they will likely remain a bubble club, but this group represents "The end of the beginning," as Churchill would have it.

It's going to be a hell of a lot more fun to be a Bruins fan this year, and going forward as well.

*And, as Paul Westerberg had it, ***"I can't hardly wait."*** ;-)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Quite agree.

Laugh if you wish, but the D corps will be significantly better this year, even without the expected addition via trade. Expect Carlo & O'Gara to be in the lineup Thursday night.

Yes, they will likely remain a bubble club, but this group represents "The end of the beginning," as Churchill would have it.

It's going to be a hell of a lot more fun to be a Bruins fan this year, and going forward as well.

*And, as Paul Westerberg had it, ***"I can't hardly wait."*** ;-)

I think OGara Carlo and Krug project as 3 if the 6 defenseman projected to be in the group going forward - they are all years away from that 27 perfect age for a defenseman where skills and experience merge

Can the Duct Tape D fashion itself with Chara, Liles, and even injury prone Miller & McQuaid for another year

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
Would have been a nice signing for this year...then trade him at the deadline for juicy picks. Been a while since the Bruins used that stragidy but it's more sad that I wished they did it more instead of accepting meritocracy year after year. I can accept a rebuild...the last one was fun as hell to life through.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
wait wait wait, fans here bashing DS for inviting this guy saying he`d block one of the kids development now "shock" is the word I`m reading here that he`s been released?

Sorry, kind of refreshing he was released TBH

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Would have been a nice signing for this year...then trade him at the deadline for juicy picks. Been a while since the Bruins used that stragidy but it's more sad that I wished they did it more instead of accepting meritocracy year after year. I can accept a rebuild...the last one was fun as hell to life through.
They could still do the same thing with Liles at the deadline.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I try to be optimistic regarding the B's, but I don't see any circumstance where another team would be offering "juicy picks" for Ehrhoff at the deadline :laugh:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Great move not signing him!

He was obviously looking for a bunch of money from the Bruins and there is NO WAY IN HELL he would have lasted an 82 game schedule. He would have been dog meat down the stretch.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I'm actually surprised at this. Thought he'd be offered significant time on the Bruins blueline this year.

Not dismayed by any means. Just surprised.

Me too. I thought he was better than most, and could help.

Wonder if there's a gentlemanly arrangement not to shut the door on this. Maybe look at bringing him in later in the season if necessary. I think he'd have to go thru waivers at that point though.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
From hearing about the injuries to McQuaid and Miller, this sort of shocked me. So I'm assuming they won't be out long.

This is exciting. Carlo and oGara pitched their cases and look to maybe have gained a roster spot(s).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Surprised he turned it down if it was a 1 way deal.

Guess this isn't a bad time to call it quits though since he has some Bobby Bonilla money coming and had a decent World Championships and knows he is good enough to find work and is doing so on his own terms.

As Colt just said he isn't holding up over 82 games. But as 6/7th D who can play some minutes with Chara I'd have taken him. If Morrow and C Miller showed better maybe not.

Not really the kind of player we need see the Gudass thread hes in the Hayes category of being soft.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Morrow played very, very good hockey in the preseason games I watched.

Even though Julien was gone, I'm sure that wasn't lost on Sweeney.

I'm equally positive that Erhoff (via his agent) thought that they would get overpaid by the Bruins who they targeted as being desperate for D. When the offer came in and it wasn't as rich as they were hoping for, they walked.

At the end of the day, the lack of Erhoff in the line-up is the direct result of 19 year old Brandon Carlo's development and the options that gives them. I've thought for some time that Carlo is the perfect partner for Chara due to Carlo's mobility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad