Speculation: Ehlers 2015-2016 Season

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So many young prospects, so little roster room. If only we could make the 4th line a real hockey line, we could see all of Burmi, Ehlers, Petan, Armia etc in the lineup and be a force with 4 really good lines.

Morrissey being a grade A fatass wasn't discovered until the Pentincton Tournament last year. That was way later than early July, and he didn't really have a chance to work it all off, despite the fact that it wasn't working.

Ehlers has lots of time to stop his binging on pølse and wienerbrød (no, gentlemen, they don't call them danish in Denmark, cause that would be douchy) and hop on a bike. And do some skating with his brother's team in Denmark.

I thought that was a Thai dish?

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
This guy and petan are my hope for the jets being a good team.

please make the roster this year.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Not going to share my friend's complete story, but lets just say that just excessively going into the weight room can completely wreck you as a player.

Hockey players need elastic strength, not brute strength. The people on the radio seem to think he gained weight by excessively eating, when in reality, He gained a bunch of weight room muscle. I bet his bench press has improved.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure how there could be any discrepancies towards weight training for a professional athlete in todays' day. Arms and shoulders for show. Core muscles for go.

Marty St Louis should be the poster boy for Ehlers. Medium upper body stength, insane core strength. Everything he does workout wise is aimed at strengthening the core area.

primoremix

Dec 11, 2011
Lausanne
For those thinking he'll be back in Halifax if he doesn't make the team, that's not an option. He's too good for the Q so he would go to Switzerland playing with men.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
For those thinking he'll be back in Halifax if he doesn't make the team, that's not an option. He's too good for the Q so he would go to Switzerland playing with men.
Dont get me wrong - would love to see him back in Hali... BUT...

He was a huge target last year for abuse... it would be worrisome for Jets brass I should think to see him back in the Q.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Pure skill alone

Ehlers is a Jet top 9 forward, probably already ahead of Burmi and Lowry

Want to see him with Perrault and Schiefele in 2nd line role

But I don't want to drop Wheeler with Burmi and Lowry.

Maybe a Burmi Lowry Stafford will be a solid line.

My 4th line
Stempniak Petan Armia

If no Stempniak

thorburn Petan Armia

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I thought that was a Thai dish?

Wienerbrød is the danish word for ehhh danishes:P

Pretty sure you are right. NHL or CHL, nothing else. Period.

Im actually not really sure. When I attempted to search for the answer, I had no success. I found the rules stating that players drafted from the CHL is not allowed to play in professional minor leagues(AHL and ECHL are the ones mentioned as examples), but there might be an exemption for european players drafted from the CHL to play in europe. The agreement is between the NHL/AHL and the CHL...not between the european leagues. Would love it if somebody knew for sure.

But im not sure he would ever go to europe if he did not make the jets this year. He was praised last year for his commitment after coming back(As opposed to drouin who sulked), but I think he would be really demotivated, but would go back.

There is also a limit on foreigners in the swiss league(hehe...i just recently found this out myself)...Maybe he would not count as such since he played junior hockey in switzerland, but if he does count, im not sure they would take such a young player as one of those few foreigner slots.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the issue is not so much being too heavy, it's Nik getting up to speed carrying the extra weight. Can he do that in time to have the speed necessary to force the Jets to keep him? Hard to say. Morrissey couldn't manage to, though as pointed out in the thread he had less time to try and adjust.

I can't believe in this day and age the Jets aren't very involved in the fitness plan of blue chip prospects like Ehlers.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the issue is not so much being too heavy, it's Nik getting up to speed carrying the extra weight. Can he do that in time to have the speed necessary to force the Jets to keep him? Hard to say. Morrissey couldn't manage to, though as pointed out in the thread he had less time to try and adjust.

I can't believe in this day and age the Jets aren't very involved in the fitness plan of blue chip prospects like Ehlers.

I'm sure they are very involved but you can't expect them to feed him and watch as he lifts his weights. I would think it's more up to the player to follow a guideline that the Jets fitness team set for him and it seems like Ehlers felt adding 14 pounds would be his best path to the NHL. I would think he learns from this and adjusts his priorities.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm sure they are very involved but you can't expect them to feed him and watch as he lifts his weights. I would think it's more up to the player to follow a guideline that the Jets fitness team set for him and it seems like Ehlers felt adding 14 pounds would be his best path to the NHL. I would think he learns from this and adjusts his priorities.

You are right and when you consider that he couldn't possibly gain weight during the season last year, he might have had the plan of adding as much muscle (not skating) from the end of the season to the prospects camp and then spending the rest of the summer trying to get his speed and conditioning up.

That could very well have been the plan, I guess we will see if 11ish weeks is enough to accomplish that goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad