Speculation: Ehlers 2015-2016 Season

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think even this is overblown.

It's the first time he stepped on the ice for a month or more. He was bound to look a little sluggish and gassed.

You might be right, but I didn't see many other players who were out of gas. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't seem to be taking charge, as I expected. Petan, Lemieux and Copp in that group, and Kosmachuk and couple of other guys in the other group seemed to be taking a leadership role.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea this is still REALLY early no reason they can't make adjustments. The training staff will monitor and advise. I would be shocked if this is an issue in main camp.

jetkarma*

I think even this is overblown.

It's the first time he stepped on the ice for a month or more. He was bound to look a little sluggish and gassed.

He's said he had not skated since the last Halifax game ,
so that's a long time without skating.

He's still really lean seeing him up close , so the weight in all likleyhood is lean muscle which should not be a negative.

Hopefully he sees that he'll need to be better cardio shape for September, don't anticipate a problem though .

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It's very very early, but Ehlers exercise story sounds exactly like Morrissey from a year ago. Even if he does not make the team, I will not worry in the slightest, he'll still be amazing in the long run.

If he has taken a small step back, let's get it all fixed up and get him 100% ready.

It won't matter much anyway when Petan wins the scoring title.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's said he had not skated since the last Halifax game ,
so that's a long time without skating.

He's still really lean seeing him up close , so the weight in all likleyhood is lean muscle which should not be a negative.

Hopefully he sees that he'll need to be better cardio shape for September, don't anticipate a problem though .

I agree. He just needs to work on his cardio. He already knows that, and if he works hard he has plenty of time to get ready for the Jets camp.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea this is still REALLY early no reason they can't make adjustments. The training staff will monitor and advise. I would be shocked if this is an issue in main camp.

I was shocked when it was an issue for Morrissey last year. I was more shocked when the Jets didn't get it fixed in time for Morrissey to get his shot last year. TC should have been long enough for that.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I was shocked when it was an issue for Morrissey last year. I was more shocked when the Jets didn't get it fixed in time for Morrissey to get his shot last year. TC should have been long enough for that.

I'm not sure what "getting it fixed" means...

Bulking to quickly isn't a good thing.
Shedding weight, which ultimately we do want these players to put on to get them to the NHL one year quicker isn't really a solution.
You would hope the team would be working with these kids so that they don't bulk too quickly in the first place, but once the weight is on and the season is approaching leaning them out can cause even more issues.

jetkarma*

I agree. He just needs to work on his cardio. He already knows that, and if he works hard he has plenty of time to get ready for the Jets camp.

Looking at both players there was/is a difference . Last September in Penticton , Morrissey was I wouldn't say pudgy but he was not at all lean either . Ehlers is still lean or skinny depending on who is saying what .

He needs to now get his wind back , get his areobic capacity back and balance that with the weight . He says he's about 175 , he may lose a few pounds as he shifts his focus , but this upcoming year if he can be a lean 170 ish that should work well and then up to 180 in a year or two .

Chevy wants his young players to be strong as opposed to being a certain weight , so hopefully he gets some strength or has improved that and now gets his stamina to the proper level for September.

Copp has said he will focus on that from now till September as well .

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Same thing happened with Theo Fleury in 89. Packed on too much muscle, went up from 150 to 170 and lost all of his speed. For a tiny guy like that it was his bread and butter. He ended up getting sent back down, and he was pissed.

He went back on the bike and lost all the weight and got back into game shape.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I work with young football players, so it's a little different but not entirely. I hate the "gaining" over one off-season that players are sometimes pressured into but more often feel they have to do on their own. It rarely works because it puts the focus in the wrong modalities, anaerobic mostly, and away from the ones they really need for their sport, aerobic. You naturally gain weight/strength between 18-22 and you can boost this a bit gradually with more intense training and nutrition, but being focused primarily on gaining weight usually does not bode well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I work with young football players, so it's a little different but not entirely. I hate the "gaining" over one off-season that players are sometimes pressured into but more often feel they have to do on their own. It rarely works because it puts the focus in the wrong modalities, anaerobic mostly, and away from the ones they really need for their sport, aerobic. You naturally gain weight/strength between 18-22 and you can boost this a bit gradually with more intense training and nutrition, but being focused primarily on gaining weight usually does not bode well.

Yup. Ehlers and other young players should be focusing on aerobic fitness and their ability to recover. It's nice to be big and strong, but rookies won't last long with Maurice if they can't go full out every shift.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
I think he reaches or close to, 50 pts but won't come close to winning the Calder..... obviously.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Morrissey being a grade A fatass wasn't discovered until the Pentincton Tournament last year. That was way later than early July, and he didn't really have a chance to work it all off, despite the fact that it wasn't working.

Ehlers has lots of time to stop his binging on pølse and wienerbrød (no, gentlemen, they don't call them danish in Denmark, cause that would be douchy) and hop on a bike. And do some skating with his brother's team in Denmark.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It's very very early, but Ehlers exercise story sounds exactly like Morrissey from a year ago. Even if he does not make the team, I will not worry in the slightest, he'll still be amazing in the long run.

If he has taken a small step back, let's get it all fixed up and get him 100% ready.

It won't matter much anyway when Petan wins the scoring title.

Thaat is actually what I was thinking. Morrisey put on too much weight, and it had a negative effect on his performance. We could be seeing the same thing with Ehlers this year.

Keep in mind that Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9, 150, and was a Calder Trophy finalist. Ehlers is two inches taller, and weighed 26 pounds more, before his decision to put on weight.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrissey being a grade A fatass wasn't discovered until the Pentincton Tournament last year. That was way later than early July, and he didn't really have a chance to work it all off, despite the fact that it wasn't working.

Ehlers has lots of time to stop his binging on pølse and wienerbrød (no, gentlemen, they don't call them danish in Denmark, cause that would be douchy) and hop on a bike. And do some skating with his brother's team in Denmark.

He was carrying a few extra pounds. It doesn't take long to work of 4-5 pounds.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He was carrying a few extra pounds. It doesn't take long to work of 4-5 pounds.

It takes longer than you think to get back down to a more playable weight. A two to three week training camp is sufficient for that.

I know Morrissey wasn't at the development camp last year (Not that it would have likely been caught there as he probably was just getting started due to his long year) but I do have to wonder why it wasn't caught at some point last summer. Do the Jets not send their trainers/development staff out to check on the prospects progress at certain points during the summer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It takes longer than you think to get back down to a more playable weight. A two to three week training camp is sufficient for that.

I know Morrissey wasn't at the development camp last year (Not that it would have likely been caught there as he probably was just getting started due to his long year) but I do have to wonder why it wasn't caught at some point last summer. Do the Jets not send their trainers/development staff out to check on the prospects progress at certain points during the summer.

The Young Stars started Sept 12, 14. Adjust the diet and fitness routine as of that date. He didn't necessarily need to lose all the weight he had gained, only the excess. 2 weeks is plenty of time. 10 days is probably sufficient. Half a pound a day while burning that many calories should be easy. He needn't have recovered his quickness by the beginning of TC, only in time for the last 2-3 exhibition games.

Somebody dropped the ball. Did Maurice make an example of him? I don't remember clearly. Did he play any of the exhibition games?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
The Young Stars started Sept 12, 14. Adjust the diet and fitness routine as of that date. He didn't necessarily need to lose all the weight he had gained, only the excess. 2 weeks is plenty of time. 10 days is probably sufficient. Half a pound a day while burning that many calories should be easy. He needn't have recovered his quickness by the beginning of TC, only in time for the last 2-3 exhibition games.

Somebody dropped the ball. Did Maurice make an example of him? I don't remember clearly. Did he play any of the exhibition games?

That's very extreme weight loss especially if you're also expected to be practicing and training at the same time.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Isn't it all that practicing and training that takes the weight off?

You could lose maybe 5 pounds that quickly from water retention but beyond that, that level of weight loss represents a caloric deficit of 1500 per day. Your body needs energy to do the work in practice and training, and if you're short 1500 calories per day, it would be really tough on the body and you'd likely lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. The energy has to come from somewhere and the body won't metabolize only fat, it will use muscle as well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You could lose maybe 5 pounds that quickly from water retention but beyond that, that level of weight loss represents a caloric deficit of 1500 per day. Your body needs energy to do the work in practice and training, and if you're short 1500 calories per day, it would be really tough on the body and you'd likely lose a lot of muscle along with the fat. The energy has to come from somewhere and the body won't metabolize only fat, it will use muscle as well.

Well the results support your argument so I will take your word for it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad