News Article: Egor Zamula Interview to Sport express.ru 5/14/21

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Speakin of Russian stereotypes..their women are hot and I am speakin from experience...ha ha. I keep swearing them off for some other reasons...but like a moth to a flame it is pretty difficult.

Reactions: orangey

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Your post espouses the ignorance I was talking about.
Yea Putin is a scum, i hate him. But let’s not pretend he’s some almighty North Korean style ruler who has his hand in every aspect of Russian life.
And stop viewing Russia in black and white ‘good/bad’ terms. Like most countries we’re a shade of gray. And people are free to operate within this gray.
Seriously, people crap on Putin all the time. It’s no big deal.
Hell, look at the support Panarin received….especially with the Nazarov (a Putin butt-licker) situation. Ex-teammates, fans, the KHL, his old GM, etc. all backed Panarin.
That said, yes, there are lines one shouldn’t cross, but one must have significant influence to be in that category. Hockey players?…gimme a break.
No disrespect but you need to go and see the world. It’s different from a textbook.
I’m done. We’re getting into non-hockey territory and all these North American experts on Russia are giving me a headache.

This x 100.

Putin is ruthless, but we Americans also love to have bad guys to rail against. We exaggerate it to some degree. See American exceptionalism.
I travel to Russia once a year for work. It's nothing like people think it is.
Cool video of Russian kids speaking their minds no differently than American kids do. The girl at 4:39 nails it.

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
This x 100.

Putin is ruthless, but we Americans also love to have bad guys to rail against. We exaggerate it to some degree. See American exceptionalism.
I travel to Russia once a year for work. It's nothing like people think it is.
Cool video of Russian kids speaking their minds no differently than American kids do. The girl at 4:39 nails it.

Speaking their minds? A few of them refuse to answer the question, some naturally say no,then fear for the answer they have given.

What video are you watching?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Speaking their minds? A few of them refuse to answer the question, some naturally say no,then fear for the answer they have given.

What video are you watching?

I only saw one dumb-ass confused kid not know how to answer. By and large, many kids were taking Putin to task in that video. Kids were speaking their minds. It's a far cry from your claim that "People cannot speak out against the regime." That may be the case if you're in a position of mega-power, but it's a total lie if you're referring to the average Russian. Go to any bar in Moscow or wherever, you'll hear Putin badmouthed regularly.

Like I said I'm there once a year for work. Yes many aspects of Russia are questionable, but our Western propaganda machine always portrays Russia in the worst possible light. It's what sells. Our populace eats it up like candy. But like that other poster said, it's quite different in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I only saw one dumb-ass confused kid not know how to answer. By and large, many kids were taking Putin to task in that video. Kids were speaking their minds. It's a far cry from your claim that "People cannot speak out against the regime." That may be the case if you're in a position of mega-power, but it's a total lie if you're referring to the average Russian. Go to any bar in Moscow or wherever, you'll hear Putin badmouthed regularly.

Like I said I'm there once a year for work. Yes many aspects of Russia are questionable, but our Western propaganda machine always portrays Russia in the worst possible light. It's what sells. Our populace eats it up like candy. But like that other poster said, it's quite different in the real world.
People can bad mouth Putin when they aren't being recorded, obviously. It's a very different scenario when you are on record.

Like I stated before, the Russian government are pretty damn evil, they are trying to destabilise the strength of many other nations, and have been caught doing so. The opposition leader is in jail because he opposes Putins rule.

The whole system is f***ed.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
People can bad mouth Putin when they aren't being recorded, obviously. It's a very different scenario when you are on record.

Like I stated before, the Russian government are pretty damn evil, they are trying to destabilise the strength of many other nations, and have been caught doing so. The opposition leader is in jail because he opposes Putins rule.

The whole system is f***ed.

What are you talking about? Those kids in that video were being recorded. Almost everyone said they don't want a future Russia with Putin at the helm.

And frankly, the Russian government is no more evil than most other super-powers, or regional superpowers in history. At least in terms of foreign policy that is. Perhaps they're perceived as being more evil because they rarely justify their heinous actions with morality. Russia does what good for Russia. That's it. That's their justification.
I mean in terms of bombs, bullets and death count, the United States takes the cake in the last few decades. But of course, we're spreading 'democracy', 'freedom' and 'justice'.

Its the same ****. Different end of the stick

Last edited:
Reactions: Fasu and WIP CALLER

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't like using terms like "evil" in foreign relations, it's projecting a very simplistic moral world view (who defines "good" and "evil"? Evangelical Christians, Progressives, etc.). To Putin, the murder of Russian spies who turned on the regime is justified, he considers treason to be punishable by death, though he has a wider view of what constitutes "treason" than many in the West.

However, while Putin isn't a p***y cat, he isn't as repressive as the Communist regime, he's an autocrat who stifles any organized dissent but isn't concerned with thought control. The country is a Kleptocracy kept afloat on a sea of oil, which is not sustainable for a number of reasons - but for Putin, "apres moi, le deluge." If his rule resembles anything, it would be the old Czarist model (and their secret police) and his coterie of Nobles (Oligarchs).

His foreign policy is based on nostalgia for the Russian (not Soviet) Empire, he knows Eastern Europe will never accept Russian domination, so he focuses on the traditional Russian sphere of influence, the Black Sea as a Russian sea (Ukrainians blew it, they should have leased the Crimea to Russia so they could get the Russians to officially accept Ukrainian rights because Putin was not giving up that Naval base), but bottled in by Turkey, the Baltic states as vassal states, Belarus as part of Russia, and so on. Russia has always seen the Ukraine as part of their sphere of influence, it was stupid for anyone in NATO to suggest the Ukraine could join the western alliance. He uses the pretext of "Russian speakers" to push that agenda. He'll align with autocrats in countries like Poland, but knows historical animosity limits his influence.

The problem for Putin is Russia is becoming a failed state, the long-term outlook for Russian oil production (it is very expensive to develop new fields in Siberia) and world oil prices is not rosy, the birth rate is below replacement, talented young people without connections would like to emigrate, and so on. He lacks the economic clout to have much influence around the world, and militarily is limited by resources and geography. His focus on Europe and the US ignores the real threat to Russia, Chinese encroachment in Siberia and Central Asia. But this is not surprising, Putin spent his KGB time in East Germany, he's an old cold war warrior who chafes at Russia's second tier status in the western world. So he engages in low cost harassment of Western countries, exposing how weak Russia has become.

Domestically, Putin isn't obsessed with suppressing dissent like the Communists, as long as he can control the media, rig elections, and crush any real opposition movement, he's not going to round up thousands merely for complaining about the regime. But it would behoove anyone with ambitions to censor their selves, especially on social media. Potential employers don't want the stigma of hiring people with the "wrong attitudes." Low profile athletes are fine, but the better players might find life uncomfortable if they garner too much attention.

Russians have always been nationalistic, with an inflated sense of self-importance, bolstered by the Russian Orthodox Church reinforcing the concept of Russian exceptionalism. So it's not surprising that they support Putin's efforts to try and punch in a higher weight class and raise Russia's profile in the world. As long as the oil flows, and prices remain high enough to subsidize the rest of the economy, the system will persist. But if oil collapses again for an indefinite period, all bets are off. The Russian economy is primarily a third world, resource heavy model (oil and agriculture), what was the last Russian product you bought?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad