News Article: Egor Zamula Interview to Sport express.ru 5/14/21

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I do think the Cold War caused such twisted perceptions of "Russians" in the west because of the propaganda and trying to make the "enemy" seem like "aliens".

It is one of the most "romantic" and "hospitable" cultures that I have ever had close interactions with. I also love the general communication style. Super emotional but also quite direct. Stereotypes... but ones in general I have found pretty true across a decent sized sample!

I always found it ironic that a lot of the US/UK middle aged men sat in countryside bars spouting about "Russian commies" would probably get on like a house on fire with a lot of the Russian middle aged men sat in countryside bars spouting about "capitalist western pigs" if they somehow did not know each others origin... they would kind of complete each other in a bizarre way. :laugh:

I have always found it amusing when educated Europeans come to America and patronize working class Americans.
Because European countries have a similar share of peasants and working class people who are very similar in their parochial attitudes.
And the rural English just might be the worst, well, after the French. :sarcasm:

What Europeans don't quite get is that America, at least up to WWII, was primarily populated by immigrants from European countries, mostly farmers, first the English, Dutch and Germans, then the Irish, followed by more Germans and Scandinavians, and then Italians, Greeks, Poles, and other Eastern Europeans. Now the one advantage of the Ocean is we never got the European riff-raff, they couldn't afford the fare. But it means the Americans that Europeans liked to look down upon are the best of their peasant class.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even prior, Westerners have long struggled to understand Orthodox societies mostly because they've ignored them and looked down on them. Half the work of Byzantine history right now is correcting a ton of misunderstandings that have just been accepted and handed down for generations.

Edit: Also, our new neighbor just moved here from London and they have a pitbull named Zeus. Zeus is now my best friend.

Always good to be friends with Zeus. The old gods can be vindictive.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I do think the Cold War caused such twisted perceptions of "Russians" in the west because of the propaganda and trying to make the "enemy" seem like "aliens".

It is one of the most "romantic" and "hospitable" cultures that I have ever had close interactions with. I also love the general communication style. Super emotional but also quite direct. Stereotypes... but ones in general I have found pretty true across a decent sized sample!

I always found it ironic that a lot of the US/UK middle aged men sat in countryside bars spouting about "Russian commies" would probably get on like a house on fire with a lot of the Russian middle aged men sat in countryside bars spouting about "capitalist western pigs" if they somehow did not know each others origin... they would kind of complete each other in a bizarre way. :laugh:

It's all contingent on your origin- the attitude toward inhabitants of former Soviet republics is quite different (especially Asian)

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Always good to be friends with Zeus. The old gods can be vindictive.
One may end-up with daily liver biopsy
prometheus1-3804.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

The tale of a Billy Joel song... "Leningrad" written after he went over there as the first American artist to play as the USSR started to allow US artists in.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thank you! I've never heard it before. Having lived in both countries, I can tell you that common folks are more similar than the stereotypes allow us to imagine.

I forget the specifics, but I believe Billy Joel gained a lot of cred with 80s Russians because during a concert there he lost his mind on the venue for continually turning the lights on; apparently the crowd kept getting spooked, believing it was either so they could be IDed later or arrested immediately.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I forget the specifics, but I believe Billy Joel gained a lot of cred with 80s Russians because during a concert there he lost his mind on the venue for continually turning the lights on; apparently the crowd kept getting spooked, believing it was either so they could be IDed later or arrested immediately.
The movie of that trip is great. Highly recommend for anyone who is a fan.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My goodness, enough of the sensationalism and stereotypes. Just like Panarin, Zamula is (and his family) are in no danger whatsoever. Good lord. :facepalm:

That said, it is in his professional interest to say the right things. The Russian Ice Hockey Federation is a Putin good old boys club.

Regardless, Zamula is a right-wing wacko by American standards. He regularly espouses ultra patriotic views and was close to denying covid in a previous interview. lol

I hope most of this is untrue

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Russians under state orders directly from Putin have assassinated people on European soil. The big red machine is the home of miss-information, producing it on scale in western culture. State backed organisations are responsible for major cyber attacks across the world, including the latest american oil pipeline.

The country basically requires total patriotism. There isn't even a political opposition to Putin, as they are jailed on bogus charges.

People cannot speak out against the regime. While the majority of Russians might be honest normal people, Russia (or more specifically the Russian regime) are undoubtably the "bad guys" in world politics right now. Putin is undoubtedly an evil, evil person.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think a lot of these overseas players not just Russians go back home & do interviews where they drop their guard. Obviously translations can muddy the waters too. Speaking from a general sense here of course not directly with this interview/translation.

But even here with North American players a quote on paper can sound a lot different than actually hearing someone relay it verbally.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I think a lot of these overseas players not just Russians go back home & do interviews where they drop their guard. Obviously translations can muddy the waters too. Speaking from a general sense here of course not directly with this interview/translation.

But even here with North American players a quote on paper can sound a lot different than actually hearing someone relay it verbally.
Absolutely true (including this interview/ translation). You do not have to worry about my sensitivity ;)
Every translator, especially not professional (and I am one of those), has his/ her limitations and biases.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Guess you haven't read much about Russia the last couple decades.

It's not like he's prominent enough to be stabbed with an umbrella, but you can make life difficult, father gets fired, you get assigned to a KHL team in the middle of nowhere, and so on. There are ways to get the message across to those who buck the system publicly. It's a good idea for a young player who isn't rich enough to bring his family over and make the US his permanent home to play it safe, say nothing or be supportive of the current regime.

Your post espouses the ignorance I was talking about.
Yea Putin is a scum, i hate him. But let’s not pretend he’s some almighty North Korean style ruler who has his hand in every aspect of Russian life.
And stop viewing Russia in black and white ‘good/bad’ terms. Like most countries we’re a shade of gray. And people are free to operate within this gray.
Seriously, people crap on Putin all the time. It’s no big deal.
Hell, look at the support Panarin received….especially with the Nazarov (a Putin butt-licker) situation. Ex-teammates, fans, the KHL, his old GM, etc. all backed Panarin.
That said, yes, there are lines one shouldn’t cross, but one must have significant influence to be in that category. Hockey players?…gimme a break.
No disrespect but you need to go and see the world. It’s different from a textbook.
I’m done. We’re getting into non-hockey territory and all these North American experts on Russia are giving me a headache.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Zamula’s interviews are always a fun read, much unlike most athlete interviews.

He’s obviously quite intelligent, & that’s the basis of his game on the ice, too.

I imagine he’ll piss some people off, including some teammates, with his outspokenness. But at least he’s got confidence & personality on a team that needs both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad