News Article: Egor Zamula Interview to Sport express.ru 5/14/21

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Below is my quick translation of Egor's interview excerpts. I skipped a CoVid part and his patriotic bit. Please let me know if you would want me to translate that as well.

Also, I am planning to translate Russian national team scout's opinion on Provorov's season tomorrow

Sport- Express Interview with Egor Zamula (5/14/21)
Q: You finally started your NHL career. But why did you play just 2 games?
A: Gostisbehere had got injured, and the club did not know the extent of the trauma. I was recalled immediately after Shane’s injury, but had to return to AHL once Shane was fit to play. It is also known as emergency medical recall. But I knew Flyers wanted to take a look at me. I was hoping it had happened earlier in the season, rather than at the end of April.
Q: How much earlier?
A: Flyers began to crumble after the game with Boston on Lake Tahoe. The team had a series of loses- perhaps that was an appropriate moment to call me up.
Q: How was your debut?
A: Rather well, but not without a mishap. 1 hour before the game equipment manager requested that I shortened my stick. I am a tall guy and play with a long stick- it reaches up to my nose. And that, apparently, requires a special permission from NHL. That was done in Chara’s case. I understand, but I should not have learned that 1 hour before the game. I panicked. I went to Provorov for help. He tried to manage, but the manager continued to insist.
Q: What would be the punishment for playing with a long stick?
A: If the other team request an inspection, our team would be assessed a minor penalty. But I would not be able to play with a shorter stick without any practice. It’s not normal, inconvenient- might as well play without skates.
Q: So what happened?
A: I asked Claud Giroux, and he responded with understanding. He said that I should calm down and play with my usual stick. If worse comes to worst and Devils request inspection we will take the penalty. He said it was not a big deal. It helped me tremendously in my first game.
A: Did you play the second game with “illegal” stick?
A: No, I cut 4 inches. But at least I had one practice to adjust. Frankly, it did not help much. I overskated the puck once, my skating changed immediately as I had to stance lower than usual. Most importantly, we have filed the request with the NHL for the next season, and I will be allowed to play with my usual stick.
Q: How were the games against “Devils”?
A: I consider them to be not bad. And coaches confirmed that later. I had 19 minutes of ice time in the first game and 14 minutes in the second. I had played in all the situations in LHV including second power play, but it’s not the case on the NHL level. I must stick with the team and showcase my abilities first. I had had slight anxiety in the first game, but it subsided after the first period.
Q: I did not even notice your anxiety
A: It’s not that I was really anxious. It’s just different than AHL. It’s not even the matter of speed or quickness, it’s just a momentous event in one’s career. I realized I can play in this league.
Q: Your ice time was cut in the second game.
A: Although I played well. I pinched on offense when I had an opportunity and held my ground in 1:1 coverage and speed. In general, Devils is a team of smaller, speedy forwards and the coaches wanted to see how I play against them.
Q: OK, let’s ignore for the moment coaches and managers comments. Have you realized that it’s about time for you to step up a level?
A: I am thankful to the club for playing entire season in the AHL. Do you know that they did not let me play in Russia?
Q: Why?
A: I asked the same question. I told them that I would benefit from playing in Russia. SKA had offered me a contract, but the Flyers sad no. They told me that I have to be in their focus, that I need to work in the certain program in the gym. I was told that I would gain my form rather quickly and they need to keep a finger on the pulse of my development.
Q: Well, perhaps then, you would benefit from playing entire season, but you played in 2 games only.
A: In these two games I realized that a gap is not that big. I looked not worse than my competitors, and some players consider me number 2 defenseman right now.
Q: But they still relegated you to the AHL
A: But I have played in all the situations there and that’s very beneficial to me.
Q: you missed a few games there
A: Yes, I had a hairline leg fracture after blocking a shot. I was told that recovery will take 4-6 weeks, but I had fully recovered in 2 weeks and played 27-29 minutes per game after returning on the ice.
Q: I watched your AHL games, I can’t state that you stood out despite having a lot of ice time.
A: LHV does not play me in the way that I am used to. I have fewer points and my style is different.
Q: Yes- no goals and just 5 assists
A: But I’ve had plenty of opportunities- I hid the cross bar 5 times. Of course, points matter, but they are not the best metric for a defenseman. Also, a lot is contingent on your partners, sometimes you get open, but your partner just dumps the puck and goes for a change.
Q: I enjoyed the fact that you practically were not penalized. It’s difficult to play within the riles with your size and minutes.
A: I had to slash a forward once- he was running for a breakaway. I had no choice. But in general, I try to play positionally with the help of my hands and stick. I generally do not push in the back.
Q: I hope not to see you in the AHL again
A: I was told that I would be on the big club next season. The big changes are coming to the Flyers this off season. All depends on trades and signings. I would only like to play for the Flyers.
Q: But often the clubs say one thing but do something different.
A: I truly hope it would not be my case. I have said before that I would prefer to play in the NHL, but if it’s not in the consideration, I would enjoy more playing at home in my own country in front of my own fans

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Thanks for the translation. I enjoyed the bit about noted bad captain _laude Giroux.

A: I asked Claud Giroux, and he responded with understanding. He said that I should calm down and play with my usual stick. If worse comes to worst and Devils request inspection we will take the penalty. He said it was not a big deal. It helped me tremendously in my first game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depending on what happens this offseason, he may start next year in the AHL, but it won't be for long, and I'm sure they'd tell him that. Watching him at the NHL level, he'll be on the Flyers by January at the latest, and could start the season with the big team. He does give Fletcher the flexibility of using one of his defensemen as trade bait, and Ghost is a good bet to be chosen by Seattle (York and Zamula are the reason he'll be exposed).

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Ooooh boy, he's not going to last very long in the NHL is he. Highly opinionated, questioning archaic management styles, calling out shit players....

I mean, I f***ing love it, but there's a reason you don't see any of these guys in the NHL. They are just "problematic Russians", that aren't willing to toe the line.

I would LOVE to see a system that doesn't involve dumping the puck. One of the most pointless "safe" activities in the NHL.

Early Babcock Detroit teams never did it, they just held the puck and cycled it across the blueline until the forwards changed, it was magnificent.

Also

"There are big changes coming, all depends on trades and signings"

Well thats good news at least. Shame Fletcher isn't gonna can the useless f***tards running the asylum.

Thanks again CSKA, you are a gent and a scholar.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
You know I don’t want to say it because it’s what I’m hoping for but when Zamula says in an interview some major changes are coming I’m happy as hell.

I think Myers could be one of the players that is moved. Sanheim shouldn’t even be considered.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I f***ing love this kid

I also hate the Flyers even more

I hate that I hate the Flyers now

You'd think that the would have him playing with the proper max stick length in the AHL to better prepare for the NHL but I know that's asking A LOT for these smooth brains.

Last edited:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I f***ing love this kid

I also hate the Flyers even more

I hate that I hate the Flyers now

You'd think that the would have him playing with the proper max stick length in the AHL but I know that's asking A LOT for these smooth brains.
I believe, he is playing with his usual stick in the AHL. The issue arised after he had been called up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’d have to imagine that if Zamula’s stick incurred a penalty, and he was told that it was fine and they’d kill the penalty, that would make me more nervous since they definitely would not have e done that

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’d have to imagine that if Zamula’s stick incurred a penalty, and he was told that it was fine and they’d kill the penalty, that would make me more nervous since they definitely would not have e done that

vWV2vzd.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
"Q: I watched your AHL games, I can’t state that you stood out despite having a lot of ice time.
A: LHV does not play me in the way that I am used to. I have fewer points and my style is different."

Play a guy to his strengths? Oh hell no. Why would Gordon take advantage of a players' skills? Beat a round peg into a square hole instead. You could almost see them wanting to turn a defenseman into a wing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"Q: I watched your AHL games, I can’t state that you stood out despite having a lot of ice time.
A: LHV does not play me in the way that I am used to. I have fewer points and my style is different."

Play a guy to his strengths? Oh hell no. Why would Gordon take advantage of a players' skills? Beat a round peg into a square hole instead. You could almost see them wanting to turn a defenseman into a wing.

Between this and the stick fiasco we are running quite the development operation

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Love Zamula’s confidence and brash honesty. I’ve been a huge fan since the 2018 pre-season (where I got in my first viewings of him). He stood out in all of the best ways: aggressive, proactive, great passer, strong risk assessment and problem solving abilities, etc.

Still does too! Even with Gordon’s nonsense....& AV’s too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad