News Article: Egor Zamula Interview to Sport express.ru 5/14/21

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Love when you translate these...so candid with comments.

Gotta love this: "Also, a lot is contingent on your partners, sometimes you get open, but your partner just dumps the puck and goes for a change"

Yup....better get used to that with the Flyers.

Our new rookie whisperer Justin Braun will do everything in his power to keep the puck away from him next season.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Love when you translate these...so candid with comments.

Gotta love this: "Also, a lot is contingent on your partners, sometimes you get open, but your partner just dumps the puck and goes for a change"

Yup....better get used to that with the Flyers.
He's gonna get that with almost every NHL team. Seems that everyone plays the same way these days.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Our new rookie whisperer Justin Braun will do everything in his power to keep the puck away from him next season.

Ahhhhhh. This is going to happen and it’s going to be really, really annoying to watch. Dump-outs & dump-ins for the win!!

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's gonna get that with almost every NHL team. Seems that everyone plays the same way these days.

When you play at a higher level, it's more important to get off the ice and avoid being stuck out there on a long shift with dead legs, we've seen plenty of goals against due to that error, especially 2nd periods when it's a longer skate to the bench. Part of being aware of what's happening on the ice and not getting too greedy and losing track of your shift (i.e. go for a scoring chance, have the puck flip the ice, and find yourself skating back and trying to play defense in the 2nd minute of a shift).

Reactions: Irvdog13

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Thank you!

Is there a North American outlet with such juicy interviews? We always get good, new information from this one instead of the normal cliches.

I do really like this kid. All the little details matter to him. But now I must prepare for Chuck to shake the earth -- there are just too many defensemen under contract on the big club right now to guarantee a spot.

Reactions: renberg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So he’s 6’3” but plays with a much bigger stick than Sanheim or Myers?

Zamula uses an obnoxiously long stick. It’s actually nuts he can stick handle with it. At his height, up to or above his nose is not common. The average player probably is below the chin, maybe at or right above for a defenseman.

It is hard to eyeball it, but just look at their hand placements and proportionality:

https%3A%2F%2Fbroadstreetbuzz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1300391977.jpeg

AP_19363807596800-1024x576.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Zamula uses an obnoxiously long stick. It’s actually nuts he can stick handle with it. At his height, up to or above his nose is not common. The average player probably is below the chin, maybe at or right above for a defenseman.

It is hard to eyeball it, but just look at their hand placements and proportionality:

https%3A%2F%2Fbroadstreetbuzz.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1300391977.jpeg

Ky1GMHA.png

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
As per @CanadianFlyer88 request I am publishing the rest of the interview:
Q: What can you tell me about AHL season and pandemic?
A: It was a special season- we had to play each in-conference opponent 12 times. We had to leave one game after the first period.
Q: Yea, I remember. What happened?
A: We played Devils farm club. Our manager ran on the ice in the intermission and said that we are leaving as our big club was just quarantined after contact with Devils. We rode the bus back. In reality, there were a lot of false positive tests. I and another LHV player had been tested according to the NHL protocol- we were swabbed in both nose and throat. The accuracy of these tests is not very high. After all, some players had been sent home, their contacts had been quarantined, and then in a couple days we would learn that it was false alarm. But situation is improving. A lot of people have been vaccinated in the USA and there is reduction in cases.
Q: Will you take a vaccine?
A: It’s not a simple question. I will not take it in the USA, perhaps will do it in Russia. But it is contingent on many things. For example, if Europe demands a mandatory vaccine passport.
I have had CoVid and felt normal. Some LHV players had really hard time after the vaccine. So, I do not know.
Q: You liked Panarin’s post recently in support of Navalny (Russian opposition leader). Are you afraid that some one will recall that 10 years later?
A: Sometimes you like Instagram posts without reading into it. I would like to state that I support Russian president and do not consider life in the USA better than in Russia. Moreover, I see such problems here that one would never encounter in Russia. I am here for sport only and nothing more. I want to live in my country, I love Russia.
Q: How is your back?
A: What about it?
Q: you did have a surgery there
A: Oh, I have already forgotten about it. When I am asked, I need a few seconds to even realize what’s being asked.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
A: It was a special season- we had to play each in-conference opponent 12 times. We had to leave one game after the first period.
A: We played Devils farm club. Our manager ran on the ice in the intermission and said that we are leaving as our big club was just quarantined after contact with Devils. We rode the bus back. In reality, there were a lot of false positive tests. I and another LHV player had been tested according to the NHL protocol- we were swabbed in both nose and throat. The accuracy of these tests is not very high. After all, some players had been sent home, their contacts had been quarantined, and then in a couple days we would learn that it was false alarm. But situation is improving. A lot of people have been vaccinated in the USA and there is reduction in cases.
A: It’s not a simple question. I will not take it in the USA, perhaps will do it in Russia. But it is contingent on many things. For example, if Europe demands a mandatory vaccine passport.
I have had CoVid and felt normal. Some LHV players had really hard time after the vaccine. So, I do not know.
Q: You liked Panarin’s post recently in support of Navalny (Russian opposition leader). Are you afraid that some one will recall that 10 years later?
A: Sometimes you like Instagram posts without reading into it. I would like to state that I support Russian president and do not consider life in the USA better than in Russia. Moreover, I see such problems here that one would never encounter in Russia. I am here for sport only and nothing more. I want to live in my country, I love Russia.
A: Oh, I have already forgotten about it. When I am asked, I need a few seconds to even realize what’s being asked.
Thanks!

This kid is unintentionally hilarious in how blunt he is. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Smart boy. Cover your tracks, make your money, bring your family over, THEN suddenly discover you don't like Putin.
For example, take Sputnik vaccine so it doesn't look like you're dissing one of Putin's pet projects.
Like Turkish players in the NBA (see Kantor), you have to be careful what you say and do if you want to go home again or have family that is vulnerable.
Obviously, Panarin has decided to make NYC his permanent home.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Ooooh boy, he's not going to last very long in the NHL is he. Highly opinionated, questioning archaic management styles, calling out shit players....

I mean, I f***ing love it, but there's a reason you don't see any of these guys in the NHL. They are just "problematic Russians", that aren't willing to toe the line.

I would LOVE to see a system that doesn't involve dumping the puck. One of the most pointless "safe" activities in the NHL.

Early Babcock Detroit teams never did it, they just held the puck and cycled it across the blueline until the forwards changed, it was magnificent.

Also

"There are big changes coming, all depends on trades and signings"

Well thats good news at least. Shame Fletcher isn't gonna can the useless f***tards running the asylum.

Thanks again CSKA, you are a gent and a scholar.
Lol he's just going to learn not to speak his opinion to the media ever again and all will be fine.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Watched him play last night and the stick length didn’t seem silly or anything. Between Hogberg, York and Zamula they have three very interesting and quite different LHD prospects on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When did we sign Hogarth?
Hogberg played more physical than I expected, that was one of the things they stressed to him. He's not as flashy as the other two, but seemed efficient out there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Goodness, it is like Zamula put a blade on a pool skimmer!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad