Prospect Info: Eduard Sale - Forward (Round 1, Pick #20 - 2023 Draft)

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
His thread over in the Prospects subforum is a tough read. When Kitchener supporters are chiming in saying "I dont see it", that's not great.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Call me thoroughly unimpressed, but my expectations were in the toilet when he was drafted.

I was nervous too, but after seeing his career stats for Brno I can kind of see what the scouts were thinking. He may be just way more comfortable on his native ice, but there's still time for him to overcome any anxiety and adapt to the NA game. (cautious optimism)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I was nervous too, but after seeing his career stats for Brno I can kind of see what the scouts were thinking. He may be just way more comfortable on his native ice, but there's still time for him to overcome any anxiety and adapt to the NA game. (cautious optimism)
Yeah. His regular season was a dumpster fire but he is playing better in the playoffs. I never expected him to be 100 + point player like some folks (not you) had expected. But I also didn't expect him to be as bad as he was.

The NA ice takes some time to adjust too. I am perfectly comfortable not calling him a bust quite yet.

Reactions: sigma six

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah. His regular season was a dumpster fire but he is playing better in the playoffs. I never expected him to be 100 + point player like some folks (not you) had expected. But I also didn't expect him to be as bad as he was.

The NA ice takes some time to adjust too. I am perfectly comfortable not calling him a bust quite yet.

Not every european player adjust quickly to being on foreign ice playing a completely different system of hockey especially if the ice is a different size then you are a custom to.

usually those potential 100+ point players who has the ceiling to actually hit those numbers go quickly in the draft. Only way players that have that kind of ceiling tend to drop for other reasons like well size for example.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Watching Sale for Kitchener his struggles have nothing to do with big ice vs little ice. There's more fundamental problems. He lacks determination and from watching him you wonder if he's done any strength training at all.

What put Sale on the map for scouts was his great performance at the Hlinka tournament a few years ago in Red Deer. Sale was also good at the WJC in Halifax a couple years ago. All small ice. The differences are greatly overstated in general. You'd think the way people talk about it that NA teams get smoked when they go play on European big ice, and vice versa, and it just doesn't happen, there's little or no home continent advantage.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I can see how there could be more to it than the size of the ice specifically, though. Style of play in the OHL versus CZ, different level of physicality, hell even playing a first whole season halfway around the world from home. I've never been in that position myself so I'm just trying to think of what the issue may be.

I do hope it doesn't just boil down to Sale being indifferent about playing hockey-- reading that was why I didn't want him to be the pick either. Now the team has spent a first and we're stuck, so I hope he figures it out.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can see how there could be more to it than the size of the ice specifically, though. Style of play in the OHL versus CZ, different level of physicality, hell even playing a first whole season halfway around the world from home. I've never been in that position myself so I'm just trying to think of what the issue may be.

I do hope it doesn't just boil down to Sale being indifferent about playing hockey-- reading that was why I didn't want him to be the pick either. Now the team has spent a first and we're stuck, so I hope he figures it out.
I didn't know much about him till after we had drafted him. Read up on him after and don't remember reading anything specific about lack of effort. But one thing that the NHL has taught me is that skill alone will never be enough. If that is really his problem, then he needs to figure it out sooner than later because he won't last in NA.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The Czech league he was playing in was the top men's pro league, he was up against 25 and 30 year old grown men that don't take mercy. You can see what happened to Adam Jiricek early in the year where a guy took a run at him and laughed about injuring him.

If anything the idea was that the easier competition in North America would allow Sale to unlock some things, and instead he looks more locked up than ever.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I didn't know much about him till after we had drafted him. Read up on him after and don't remember reading anything specific about lack of effort. But one thing that the NHL has taught me is that skill alone will never be enough. If that is really his problem, then he needs to figure it out sooner than later because he won't last in NA.

I think i read sale issue is more of he doesn't "compete" enough.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

That was actually one of the knocks on him that had him dropping.

He started out as a top ten prospect before the 2022-23 season but didn't look like he competed especially without the puck.

You could say that was against men and stuff but he seems to still have some of those issues even playing in juniors this season.

Hopefully he'll get that sorted out cause he does have the talent to make it and become a solid playmaking winger in the league.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So, what is the advantage of assigning all these prospects to Coachella. I don't think they can play in playoff games, right? Is it just for the atmosphere and team bonding/training?

Wright and goyette both played in the playoffs last season. For most of them its just getting practice with the CV and getting tips on where to improve at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad