Prospect Info: Eduard Sale - Forward (Round 1, Pick #20 - 2023 Draft)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Last edited:

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
It seems interesting that we went for a guy whose biggest question marks are lack of motor and defensive play. Guessing Francis and company really feel that they can teach him that.
It is easier to teach 18-year old forward to become better defensively than to get him the skills he already has. The thing about Czechs is that they can be pretty moody although they are more professional now than they used to be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems interesting that we went for a guy whose biggest question marks are lack of motor and defensive play. Guessing Francis and company really feel that they can teach him that.

He's very undeveloped physically so perhaps the energy and consistency will come as his body matures. He has room to gain 20-30 lbs of muscle.

I'll put my Sale write-up here too:

Sale - There are several reasons to think Eduard Sale might be a big upside player. He has a lot of room left on his 6’2 frame to get stronger and more dynamic. He has great hands and skating that could pop with more athleticism. Getting out of the Czech league could lead to a big breakout of his offensive potential. But he’s been one of the most inconsistent prospects for years at all levels, including internationally. It’s still hard to know what he is because there are a lot of off games for him. I could see him becoming a good NHL scorer but without the consistent drive and edge that teams covet for the playoffs.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Must think that's more coachable than Perrault's skating. Kind of interesting that lack of compete was the knock on Wright too.

Reactions: kihei

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He is like Perrault who can skate. "He compared himself to Jonathan Huberdeau, and that he may be little better than him."

AarG

Oct 11, 2021

Definitely happy with this but he has a lot of work to do. You have to remember that a #20 pick is never a guarantee NHLer.

Excited for the development camp!

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Fun fact: It is statisticaly nearly impossible to not draft at least good czech player in 20s. Havlat, Rucinsky Chytil, Pastrnak, Kulich, and now Sale speaking for themselves.

Reactions: AarG

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It is easier to teach 18-year old forward to become better defensively than to get him the skills he already has. The thing about Czechs is that they can be pretty moody although they are more professional now than they used to be.
But you can't teach motivation. Sounds like a poor man's Anthony Mantha.

Hopefully the desire to play in the NHL motivates him, he'll have to earn his way onto the Kraken roster unlike the lottery teams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's the exact thing teams were supposedly worried about. On the Athletic Pod the prospect writers said that a scout wondered if Sale liked hockey. That's a scary question. He won't get anywhere without passion.

I personally won't call him poor man's Mantha though, he's right up there in talent in my book.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I'm so happy 🙏 he is new baby Kraken 😂👍
Maybe you'd like to know how to pronounce his name correctly 😉
so i recorded it for you 😂

Attachments

• voice-recorder-2023-06-29--08-57-42.mp3
    14.7 KB

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022

Hopefully the desire to play in the NHL motivates him, he'll have to earn his way onto the Kraken roster unlike the lottery teams.

At 20th any prospect on the board is going to have some significant flaw. With Perrault it was skating and size. With Sale it's compete level. In the late first you should swing for the fences with a guy who has the skill to be a top-6 player if his flaws can be fixed. They've had success signing a 'safe' player who projects in the bottom 6 with Kartye, so they can try that again this year or use later picks for that kind of player profile.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It seems like our scouts had a good long look at him and decided he was the guy. They must have believed that with proper mentoring by the entire organization that Sale could be something special. That's good enough for me.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
On compete level ... he was an underage kid, who is visibly not yet developed in his upper body, playing against men in the Czech pro league.

Obviously, who knows at this point, but I'd be super surprised if he was out physical-ing people given that situation. (Reality is not like the commercial of the pee-wee leaguer, supposedly Stamkos' kid, crushing the full grown man into the boards.)

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
1688052831967.png

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'm so happy 🙏 he is new baby Kraken 😂👍
Maybe you'd like to know how to pronounce his name correctly 😉
so i recorded it for you 😂

Thanks, I was close-- in my mind it was pronounced like a Duck from the 90's named Ruslan Salei.
I'll put a Shh on it. :)

Reactions: Mirinho

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
On compete level ... he was an underage kid, who is visibly not yet developed in his upper body, playing against men in the Czech pro league.

Obviously, who knows at this point, but I'd be super surprised if he was out physical-ing people given that situation. (Reality is not like the commercial of the pee-wee leaguer, supposedly Stamkos' kid, crushing the full grown man into the boards.)
I found a post on the main boards saying that his production took a significant step back in 2022-23. Kind of makes sense to be honest. He went to the pros as a 17 year old and still had a respectable 14 points in 47 games.

Go a year back and he looks to have lit it up in the U-20 league he played with 89 points in 39 games. As a 16 year old.

I do think he needs to grow into his body. That should happen. And I hope it is the same case with his effort/motivation. At some point the skill alone is not enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00