Prospect Info: Eduard Sale - Forward (Round 1, Pick #20 - 2023 Draft)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, this is why coaches make their money, right? I wouldn't want to rush to judgement for quite awhile.

Reactions: Kevinsane

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Since the team seems like it's suffering overall when it comes to any kind of offensive talent around Sale, do you think he's doing pretty well? I mean, PPG on a team that is barely scoring shit seems to be pretty good. I'm sure some of you guys have seen more, what are your current feelings?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since the team seems like it's suffering overall when it comes to any kind of offensive talent around Sale, do you think he's doing pretty well? I mean, PPG on a team that is barely scoring shit seems to be pretty good. I'm sure some of you guys have seen more, what are your current feelings?

I'm not watching OHL, but just based on scoring comparisons over the years, PPG is really not good for an offensive player taken in the first round. Disappointing start for sure.

I thought Sale would torch the OHL and his potential problems would be more apparent in the pros. But he's not torching the OHL so far.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not watching OHL, but just based on scoring comparisons over the years, PPG is really not good for an offensive player taken in the first round. Disappointing start for sure.

I thought Sale would torch the OHL and his potential problems would be more apparent in the pros. But he's not torching the OHL so far.
I think his stats need to be taken in context. Yes, his PPG is sub-par for the OHL but he is still 2nd in points on his team. That team seems to be offensively starved.

Also, he needs to adjust to NA ice. I never expected him to light it up this season because of that and will wait to see what he does in his 2nd year in NA.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think his stats need to be taken in context. Yes, his PPG is sub-par for the OHL but he is still 2nd in points on his team. That team seems to be offensively starved.

Also, he needs to adjust to NA ice. I never expected him to light it up this season because of that and will wait to see what he does in his 2nd year in NA.

On top of that, Francis also said that he's about three to four years away when they drafted him.

Guys drafted hin his range just take a bit longer to develop. It's part of why they are availabe at #20 or later on.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's the OHL, even on a bad team he should have the skill to lead by a big margin and score 90 pts. I don't believe the NA ice adjustment is that big of a deal. think there's something missing in his drive.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's the OHL, even on a bad team he should have the skill to lead by a big margin and score 90 pts. I don't believe the NA ice adjustment is that big of a deal. think there's something missing in his drive.
If you have already decided he is a bust, then I will not try to change your mind. But I am saying this is an 18-year-old kid who has only played 20 or so games on a different rink (NA). I am willing to give him more time and see how he does.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
He's having a tough time adjusting. Goes through the motions of the game. We will see how he performs in the WJC.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you have already decided he is a bust, then I will not try to change your mind. But I am saying this is an 18-year-old kid who has only played 20 or so games on a different rink (NA). I am willing to give him more time and see how he does.

I haven't decided he is a bust, he has plenty of time left, I'm saying this is a very bad start.

He's having a tough time adjusting. Goes through the motions of the game. We will see how he performs in the WJC.

Sale going through the motions is like a theme from his scouting reports over the years.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
I haven't decided he is a bust, he has plenty of time left, I'm saying this is a very bad start.

Sale going through the motions is like a theme from his scouting reports over the years.
yeah... he has a history of turning it on when it comes to international competitions so we'll see what happens then but he isn't the first european to come over and have a tough first year (Mesar comes to mind most recently) and I honestly think if he wanted to light the lamp in the O he could.

It just seems like he doesn't want to.

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
Put me down with the group that thinks it’s awful early to be labeling this kid a “bust”. Seems real premature to pile on after a third of a season in a new country/league…
Nobody called him a bust and I think those who don't want others to critique how his start has been haven't been watching any Colts games.

There are a multitude of factors that have played into his start. One is that it is a known thing that European players usually require an extra year of development in NA. Another is that Barrie really sucks this year and I don't think he has equally talented players around him to link the plays he wants to.

That doesn't mean that I think he is a bust. These are just reasons as to why he only has one point in the past 3 games despite Barrie scoring 13 goals. Beau Jelsma went undrafted and has 7 points in the past 5 games.

Sale's best game was his first where he was playing with confidence, dangling around players, making high-skill plays to find open teammates in high-danger areas; however, I haven't seen him play with that much engagement since. The reason we're saying it like it is is not because we think he's a bust, but because we see glimpses of the level he can play at.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nobody called him a bust and I think those who don't want others to critique how his start has been haven't been watching any Colts games.

There are a multitude of factors that have played into his start. One is that it is a known thing that European players usually require an extra year of development in NA. Another is that Barrie really sucks this year and I don't think he has equally talented players around him to link the plays he wants to.

That doesn't mean that I think he is a bust. These are just reasons as to why he only has one point in the past 3 games despite Barrie scoring 13 goals. Beau Jelsma went undrafted and has 7 points in the past 5 games.

Sale's best game was his first where he was playing with confidence, dangling around players, making high-skill plays to find open teammates in high-danger areas; however, I haven't seen him play with that much engagement since. The reason we're saying it like it is is not because we think he's a bust, but because we see glimpses of the level he can play at.
The point that I was trying to make is that this is his first season away from home. He is only an 18 year old kid after all. Maybe there is something missing from his drive but it is way to early to chalk it up to lack of interest and disinterest. It could be just taking the time to adjust not just to NA ice but also being away from home.

In my opinion, Sale is the most boom/bust type 1st round pick we have drafted. But even if he does "boom" I never expected him to do so in his first season. I am willing to wait and see what happens next season. At the same time, I do understand the concern about his disinterest and lack of effort.

Reactions: kihei and luapejrug

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Sale has 5 points in 5 WJC games, and was pointless in today's (upset?) win over Canada.

I'm not a huge WJC guy, but was a little surprised he's not making more of a splash? Anyone more up to speed on the event, watching the games, etc. who might be able to say why he's had a more subdued showing thus far?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Sale didn't have a reputation for his magical disappearing act I might just give credit to Beck and Danielson on Canada's shutdown line, a few of the Canadians who did their job in this game. The whole Czech topline with Sale, Sapovaliv, and Kulich, was eerily quiet in the game.

They've scored less than expected all tournament. And Sale has disappointed all year. Does @Fuhrious have me on block?

luapejrug

Jan 24, 2023
I'm hearing that Sale was battling an injury throughout the tournament? I know he was out for some Kitchener games before the tournament as well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, that could be a huge factor in his play so far.

The Czechs on the tournament board weren't thinking that he was playing especially badly. Sale is always mysterious so it can be hard to tell what's going on with him.

You can compare his point totals to more highly touted draft picks like Will Smith and it's not bad at all. His play in the OHL is much more concerning.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Sale has 5 points in 5 WJC games, and was pointless in today's (upset?) win over Canada.
Just looking at the boxscores, Sale was not impressive. 3 of his goals/points were in the 8-1 win over Norway. Hopefully this can be blamed on the injury. They did roll him out multiple times in the shootout loss versus USA

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Never knew of the inj to Sale...but going to a better team in Kitchener and being able to play with Rehkopf should help...all the best to the young lad

Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pretty disappointing regular season for Sale.

25 GP 7G 13A 20P with Barrie
24GP 8G 10A 18P with Kitchener

But looks like he has stepped up in the playoffs.

7GP 4G 6A 10P so far (2nd in points on Kitchener). Rehkopf who is on the same team is 7GP 4G 3A 7P.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad