Proposal: Edmonton-Winnipeg BLOCKBUSTER

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Really surprised how many are saying this is bad for the Jets.
Draisaitl is the best piece by a pretty good margin, and with Myers a UFA next year his inclusion isn't all that exciting.
I get that Lucic is a cap dump and that gets everyone here going bananas, because somehow even though we see "useless" players getting dumped every year, it's viewed as an impossibility on this board....but, c'mon..

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Drai is the best player in the trade. He is not the best player for the value he brings. Ehlers cheap contract is much better. Especially since we also have to sign Laine for 10 mil. Oh yea and the Jets aren't struggling any more we have won 2 in a row and are not that far back from the top of the league.

I wouldn't call 6 mil a cheap contract for Ehlers.
Both Ehlers and Draisaitl are being paid on potential; Draisaitl is just a tier up from Ehlers, hence the price difference.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wouldn't call 6 mil a cheap contract for Ehlers.
Both Ehlers and Draisaitl are being paid on potential; Draisaitl is just a tier up from Ehlers, hence the price difference.
I think Ehlers has the potential to be way better value for his 6mil than Drai has at 8.5mil which I think will be an overpayment. He saw what McD was getting and was like I want a lot of money too.

Last edited:

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I think Ehlers has the potential to be way better value for his 6mil than Drai has at 9mil which I think will be an overpayment. He saw what McD was getting and was like I want a lot of money too.

8.5. But yeah, perhaps we'll see that.
Draisaitl got more than he should have and maybe he'll never quite live up to it...but I don't think it's that far off, even right now; let alone 5 years from now. He's been a 0.9+ PPG C for the past 2 years who's shown he can drive a line...IMHO that's worth 7.5 right now. So to pay a 22 year old 1 mil more than he's worth and still have potential? Well worth it, in my mind.
Ehlers is in a similar boat, just less money, less production, and lesser position (of W vs. C).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad