TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
bad for the jets

Draisaitl > Ehlers
Myers+Little >>>>>>Lucic
Veselainen=Puljujarvi

Edmonton loses the best player in the deal.

Little adds more to the line up than Lucic but don't make out like his contract isn't a burden. Myers is UFA this year, right? Not exactly great value there.

Not what Edmonton will trade Leon for if he every goes. If a team wants Draisaitl they'd better be prepared to pay dearly and probably on the defensive side of things.

Reactions: thadd

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If Lucic waives for a trade does that new team have to honor his NMC? Just curious what the CBA states.
CBA (2013) says that the acquiring theam has the option to honor the movement clause, but it's not automatic. But, CapFriendly FAQ (current) has a little bit different view on the matter.

Apparently it goes so that the acquiring team and the player will sign an addendum to the SPC that says that the movement clause will stay in effect.

In practice it presumably goes so that the traded player with a movement clause on his SPC will demand that the acquiring team signs this addendum before the player agrees to waive his movement clause to allow the trade happen.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Little adds more to the line up than Lucic but don't make out like his contract isn't a burden. Myers is UFA this year, right? Not exactly great value there.

Not what Edmonton will trade Leon for if he every goes. If a team wants Draisaitl they'd better be prepared to pay dearly and probably on the defensive side of things.
So, a player on a fair, market value contract like Little is the same to you as one of the worst contracts in hockey, in Lucic's? I just don't see it.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So, a player on a fair, market value contract like Little is the same to you as one of the worst contracts in hockey, in Lucic's? I just don't see it.

Little, 30 years old signed for six more years at $5.29 Million AAV, is fair market value contract? Okay.

Oh and don't put words in my mouth. Did I say the same? "Little adds more to the line up than Lucic but don't make out like his contract isn't a burden." I stand by that statement.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why are we trading Veselainen?

A: we’re not. Stop trying to take a top prospect for your busting out prospect.
?

Kind of a stupid statement. Veslainen isn't better than Puljujaarvi by any stretch of the imagination.

They're only 10 months apart in age, and at the very least JP is a very defensively reliable winger who has never played with any skilled players in his NHL career.

JP has WAAAAY higher draft pedigree. Bigger, faster, stronger, better shot, and more hockey sense.

Veslainen hasn't shown any signs of breaking out. So stop pretending like his impending offensive explosion is more likely than the World Junior MVP who was a consensus top 3 pick.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's actually not a bad deal. Still, don't think that Lucic is a player that WPG should be accepting. I simply don't think that LD, good as he is, is that big of a need for the Jets.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers, Vesalainen, Petan
for
Drai, 2nd, 4th

keep it simple, i think edm would benefit from having 2 good pieces then 1 great, they could spread the team out better and they save some cap. Wpg gets a solid center and are scary with a 1-2 punch of scheif-drai.
Image how much better emd would look if they could add players who arent getting much opportunity they would succeed in edm. Not sure whats up with Petan, is he scratched, hurt not on the team cant find any info?
His father died. He was on bereavement leave.

I can see Elhers & a plus like Petan for Draisaitl but I much doubt Vesalainen is on the table.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
His father died. He was on bereavement leave.

I can see Elhers & a plus like Petan for Draisaitl but I much doubt Vesalainen is on the table.
Thanks I couldn't find any info.
Yeah there's a gap in value. Ehlers and petan is too little but all 3 are too much I tried adding picks to even out idk.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Little, 30 years old signed for six more years at $5.29 Million AAV, is fair market value contract? Okay.

Oh and don't put words in my mouth. Did I say the same? "Little adds more to the line up than Lucic but don't make out like his contract isn't a burden." I stand by that statement.
I guess I would call it trying to downplay the contribution of Little compared to Lucic.

Little actually provides value being paid 2C money, since he is a 2C. Compared to Lucic who is paid as a top six money and is bottom 3 quality.

So "adds more to the lineup" is disingenuous and downplays the chasm between Little and Lucic as you intended it to do. To try and justify the poor trade offer.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Your horrible choices of Edmonton's d-pairings aside, this deal makes no sense.
Will Edmonton be able to afford to resign Myers?
Will this make it any easier for the Jets to resign Connor, Liane and Trouba?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the Jets be looking to acquire Nurse or Klefbom in a blockbuster trade with Edmonton?
And shouldn't Edmonton be going after someone who isn't going to be a UFA at the end of the season?
Doesn't Winnipeg favor Myers over Trouba?

Ehlers doesn't play on the first line after this trade. Hopkins still does.
Ehlers-Little-Yamamoto would clearly be our 2nd line. Hopkins on that 2nd line probably doesn't produce as much and any line with McDavid is going to produce on it's own and we need a productive 2nd line more than we need a more productive winger for McDavid. McDavid is so good that he makes a scrub like Rattie productive.

If Myers agrees to an extension before this trade I don't see how Edmonton can turn this trade down, but again it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If Myers is switched with Trouba I don't think it becomes any better for Edmonton because Trouba hasn't turned out to be as good as a lot of us expected him to be and he seems to think that he's going to be worth 8-10M when he hits free agency to boot.

So if I'm the Jets I think I want:
Lucic @ 4.5M (1.5M salary retained. I don't think Edmonton can possibly retain any more given how he's making 3M in bonuses during some years of that contract and I don't think you can retain salary on signing bonuses.)
Drai @ 7.5M (1M Salary retained)
Klefbom (4.1M)
Puljujarvi (less than 1M)

If I'm the Oilers I think I want

Myers resigned at less than 7M.
Ehlers
Little
Vesalainen

Doesn't work cap wise no for Edmonton or later for Winnipeg, but that's what makes sense for both sides IMO.
in what universe does winnipeg value myers over trouba? trouba>>>myers and i really like myers offensive game but thats the only place hes better than trouba

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg

Little's contract isn't trade, buyout proof because of massive bonuses.
@ 5.19 x 5 come the buyout window the cost would be 19.04 spread over 10 years. Saving in $s & cap almost 8 million.
By comparison a Lucic buyout with 6.0 x 4 during that window would cost 21.5 over 8 years which is 3.5 less then te $s owed & cap hit.

That added to the fact Little is still a good player while Lucic is dead weight makes Little worth much more.
I could see GMs trading for Little but doubt even the very worst would trade for Lucic without 1 heck of a sweetener.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If anybody can keep up with McDavid though, it's Ehlers... that kid has wheels!

Ehlers is a faster skater than most in this league with the puck as well.
Oilers don't need a linemate for McDavid and keeping up with McD accomplishes nothing.. Oilers need someone to drive 2nd and 3rd line. McD will get his 100 pts+ with Ty Friggin Rattie as his linemate.

Drai for Ehlers does nothing for Oilers..

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
in what universe does winnipeg value myers over trouba? trouba>>>myers and i really like myers offensive game but thats the only place hes better than trouba

I'm curious about their stats. Not sure who is going to win. Just looking them up now. This might destroy my argument. lol
Both of them have spent lengthy periods off via injuries throughout their carrers (Tie)
Myers played 82 games last year, while Trouba missed 1/3 of the season. (+1 to Myers)
Both Myers and Trouba had 0.43 PPG last season. (Tie)
Both were +9 in the regular season. (Tie)
Myers played 1 more game in the playoffs. (+1 Myers)
Trouba had better +/- in playoffs (+1 Trouba)
Trouba is 4 years younger. (24 years old) (+1 Trouba)
At no point has Myers been a source of drama regarding contracts. (+1 Myers)
At no point has there ever been rumors that Myers wants out of Winnipeg. (+1 Myers)

Trouba 2 - Myers 4.
If that last point converts into Myers wanting to resign with Winnipeg, I resign him and trade Trouba to another team who will own his rights and have the choice to sign him long term.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I'm curious about their stats. Not sure who is going to win. Just looking them up now. This might destroy my argument. lol
Both of them have spent lengthy periods off via injuries throughout their carrers (Tie)
Myers played 82 games last year, while Trouba missed 1/3 of the season. (+1 to Myers)
Both Myers and Trouba had 0.43 PPG last season. (Tie)
Both were +9 in the regular season. (Tie)
Myers played 1 more game in the playoffs. (+1 Myers)
Trouba had better +/- in playoffs (+1 Trouba)
Trouba is 4 years younger. (24 years old) (+1 Trouba)
At no point has Myers been a source of drama regarding contracts. (+1 Myers)
At no point has there ever been rumors that Myers wants out of Winnipeg. (+1 Myers)

Trouba 2 - Myers 4.
If that last point converts into Myers wanting to resign with Winnipeg, I resign him and trade Trouba to another team who will own his rights and have the choice to sign him long term.
myers played power play trouba didnt though look at their 5v5 scoring. and quality of opponents. trouba shuts down the other teams best while myers was free rolling vs the other teams weaker comp. myers is a great offensive d man. but trouba can put up similar numbers but with way better defensive ability thats why its so hard to just trade him and hoping he signs here instead tough spot to be in

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I guess I would call it trying to downplay the contribution of Little compared to Lucic.

Little actually provides value being paid 2C money, since he is a 2C. Compared to Lucic who is paid as a top six money and is bottom 3 quality.

So "adds more to the lineup" is disingenuous and downplays the chasm between Little and Lucic as you intended it to do. To try and justify the poor trade offer.

Yes, as explained, from Edmonton's standpoint. Legit, Draisaitl isn't going to Winnipeg. The Jets and the Oilers aren't really good trading partners.

Reactions: 780il

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Heck no from Edmonton. Puljujarvi is 20 years old, has shown the ability to dominate, and will progress nicely under the right coach. As long as Todd is calling the shots, Jesse will never get the chance to be what he can be. Draisaitl's game is based off his size and vision, those things get better with age, unlike speed. And Lucic has looked pretty damn good this year, he's the fastest guy on his line and leads the league in hits. Keep all three, fire the coach, and we'll see what these assets are really worth

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers (2m retained) and Ehlers for RNH, Bouchard and next year's 1st.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I’m a Jets fan.....I wouldn’t do the trade but I also wouldn’t call it terrible.
I would.

Lucic is a longterm cap dump and Poolparty has been unable to produce at the nhl level.

Big overpayment for Drai.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Fan of neither team...

RNH + Klefbom for Ehlers + Lowry + Niku

WPG solidifies their LD and gets a C for Laine that is more of a playmaker

EDM gets a true winger for McDavid that is signed long term, a good #3C, and an offensive minded RD to add to Bouchard.

I won’t bother with most of the posts or thoughts. Don’t see any good ideas.

But people can leave Lowry out of basically any trade proposal. He’s getting 2C minutes and his line has been the Jets best so far this season. Management loves him so that would have to be a big over pay as he is very critical to the Jets success.

People who don’t know or watch him will scoff at that but it’s true.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Drai is the best player in the trade. He is not the best player for the value he brings. Ehlers cheap contract is much better. Especially since we also have to sign Laine for 10 mil. Oh yea and the Jets aren't struggling any more we have won 2 in a row and are not that far back from the top of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad