Ehlers-McDavid-Rattie
RNH-Little-Yamamoto
Caggiula - Strome - Vesalainen
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Myers
Boussard

Swap of 2 bad contracts in Lucic/Little. Little with more value obviously and will help Edmontons C-troubles. Ehlers+McDavid would be a speedy pair to watch. Laine gets his C in Drai. Edmonton get a D in Myers and promising winger in Vesalainen. Niku will be brought up to 3rd pairing for Winnipeg. I actually like both teams better on paper atleast than what they got now. How does this trade look? Many piesces involved but you never know… :D

No from Edmonton.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Wow!
Oilers trade a dang good player in Draisaitl, a horrible cap dump in Lucic & Poolparty who looks more & more like a bust every year.
In return all they want is a dang good 60+ point winger in Elhers who is on a cap friendly contract for 7 years, a good RD, a versatile 2 way forward in Little (who is not a salary dunp) & Vesalainen who just started his ELC and looks better than Poolparty does in his 3rd year.
The OP cartainly didn't think that offer through.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Take out Myers and Lucic at least. Then I still wouldn't like it, but at least it'd be reasonable. Lucic's contract is awful and no one is taking it.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I can't see Winnipeg doing this, I think they're pretty set down the middle so adding Drai could screw something up... as nice of a piece that is to have in a lineup.

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Edmonton is essentially just giving up Drai, which I'll admit would be a great piece, and offloading a potential bust and a horrific contract.
Winnipeg is giving up its best prospect, 2 solid contracts and players, and a UFA.

Winnipeg looks for speedy/intelligent players which rules out Lucic.
Trading Laine's BFF just before contract negotiations start isnt gonna happen...

If you really break this trade down its:

Little/Ehlers for Drai - an already uneven trade that favors Edmonton. Winnipeg then add's in its top prospect AND takes on a horrific contract - and apparently adding Edmonton's latest potential bust will even that out?

Solid no from Winnipeg imo - does nothing to improve the team.

Last edited:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I can see the Jets maybe adding a rental for a run but not so much major trades. They have a really good chance this season before the cap causes depth casualties.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually don’t mind this deal from the oilers. Draisatl is the best piece but Ehlers is a close second. Little is better than Lucic and Myers fills a hole in our second pairing. If we could extend Myers at similar money for some term, then this makes it workable.

Vesalainen replaces Puljujarvi

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I actually don’t mind this deal from the oilers. Draisatl is the best piece but Ehlers is a close second. Little is better than Lucic and Myers fills a hole in our second pairing. If we could extend Myers at similar money for some term, then this makes it workable.

Vesalainen replaces Puljujarvi
Of course you wouldn't from an Edmonton perspective. 4 players for Draisaitl is the end result as Winnipeg gets useless Lucic & a probable bust as throw-ins.
Sheesh.
:(

Reactions: Snowman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fan of neither team...

RNH + Klefbom for Ehlers + Lowry + Niku

WPG solidifies their LD and gets a C for Laine that is more of a playmaker

EDM gets a true winger for McDavid that is signed long term, a good #3C, and an offensive minded RD to add to Bouchard.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Fan of neither team...

RNH + Klefbom for Ehlers + Lowry + Niku

WPG solidifies their LD and gets a C for Laine that is more of a playmaker

EDM gets a true winger for McDavid that is signed long term, a good #3C, and an offensive minded RD to add to Bouchard.
No thanks from Winnipeg. The Jets are giving up three players they need for two players they don't.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
To Arizona- Draisaitl,Yamamoto.Puljujarvi to Oilers- Keller,Strome,Chychrun,

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Both teams are struggling due to bad coaching and bad chemistry. Blockbuster:

Edmonton get:

-Ehlers 6M
-Myers 5,5M
-Little 5,291
-Vesalainen ELC

Winnipeg get:

-Draisaitl 8,5M
-Lucic 6M
-Puljujärvi 0.975
- 2019 1st rounder top 10 protected.

Your horrible choices of Edmonton's d-pairings aside, this deal makes no sense.
Will Edmonton be able to afford to resign Myers?
Will this make it any easier for the Jets to resign Connor, Liane and Trouba?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the Jets be looking to acquire Nurse or Klefbom in a blockbuster trade with Edmonton?
And shouldn't Edmonton be going after someone who isn't going to be a UFA at the end of the season?
Doesn't Winnipeg favor Myers over Trouba?

Ehlers doesn't play on the first line after this trade. Hopkins still does.
Ehlers-Little-Yamamoto would clearly be our 2nd line. Hopkins on that 2nd line probably doesn't produce as much and any line with McDavid is going to produce on it's own and we need a productive 2nd line more than we need a more productive winger for McDavid. McDavid is so good that he makes a scrub like Rattie productive.

If Myers agrees to an extension before this trade I don't see how Edmonton can turn this trade down, but again it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If Myers is switched with Trouba I don't think it becomes any better for Edmonton because Trouba hasn't turned out to be as good as a lot of us expected him to be and he seems to think that he's going to be worth 8-10M when he hits free agency to boot.

So if I'm the Jets I think I want:
Lucic @ 4.5M (1.5M salary retained. I don't think Edmonton can possibly retain any more given how he's making 3M in bonuses during some years of that contract and I don't think you can retain salary on signing bonuses.)
Drai @ 7.5M (1M Salary retained)
Klefbom (4.1M)
Puljujarvi (less than 1M)

If I'm the Oilers I think I want

Myers resigned at less than 7M.
Ehlers
Little
Vesalainen

Doesn't work cap wise no for Edmonton or later for Winnipeg, but that's what makes sense for both sides IMO.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
expansion draft is when? 2020-2021? Little's NMC expires then and Lucic still has it for one more year as well thus occupying a protection slot, something to consider too.

The last few lockouts have had amnesty buyouts (they don't count against the cup). Edmonton will have fired their GM by then and the then residing GM will be well within his right to buy out Lucic. If we actually have a lock-out or if they hammer out a new CBA magically over the course of a single off-season we'll end up gifting the GMs some cap space there.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The last few lockouts have had amnesty buyouts (they don't count against the cup). Edmonton will have fired their GM by then and the then residing GM will be well within his right to buy out Lucic. If we actually have a lock-out or if they hammer out a new CBA magically over the course of a single off-season we'll end up gifting the GMs some cap space there.
I hear what you're saying, but what makes you think the Oilers will fire Chia if they haven't yet? The Oilers have an out of touch old boys club at the very top of the organization that seems very happy with the direction the Oilers are heading.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I hear what you're saying, but what makes you think the Oilers will fire Chia if they haven't yet? The Oilers have an out of touch old boys club at the very top of the organization that seems very happy with the direction the Oilers are heading.
Yeah. Katz & his cronies seem to feel that winning is over rated. :rolleyes:
Katz pays them big to tell stories of the glory days but has no interest in acheiving any thing now. Fun for him but tough on the fans.:( I feel for those long suffering fans. Dang good players are drafted giving false hope but inept management surrounds them with scrubs.

Klowe & MacT just smile & rake in the $s as they know no team would ever let them near a team where the mandate is to win. :laugh:

Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Yeah. Katz & his cronies seem to feel that winning is over rated. :rolleyes:
Katz pays them big to tell stories of the glory days but has no interest in acheiving any thing now. Fun for him but tough on the fans.:( I feel for those long suffering fans. Dang good players are drafted giving false hope but inept management surrounds them with scrubs.

Klowe & MacT just smile & rake in the $s as they know no team would ever let them near a team where the mandate is to win. :laugh:
I know eh. I can understand being loyal to former players and helping them out when you can, but only to a point. The game has clearly passed KL and MacT by and they no longer understand how to be competitive in the new NHL.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ehlers, Vesalainen, Petan
for
Drai, 2nd, 4th

keep it simple, i think edm would benefit from having 2 good pieces then 1 great, they could spread the team out better and they save some cap. Wpg gets a solid center and are scary with a 1-2 punch of scheif-drai.
Image how much better emd would look if they could add players who arent getting much opportunity they would succeed in edm. Not sure whats up with Petan, is he scratched, hurt not on the team cant find any info?

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Why are we trading Veselainen?

A: we’re not. Stop trying to take a top prospect for your busting out prospect.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

The guy at the top, Nicolson has nothing to do with the old boys club.
Also Our GM, assistant GM and our entire coaching staff also have no connections to the old boys club.

Reactions: TFHockey

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The guy at the top, Nicolson has nothing to do with the old boys club.
Also Our GM, assistant GM and our entire coaching staff also have no connections to the old boys club.
But they were brought in by the old boys club, weren't they? I'm asking as I'm not sure on the management structure. Why on earth haven't the Oilers cleared out the deadweight management if they aren't influenced by the OBC?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
bad for the jets

Draisaitl > Ehlers
Myers+Little >>>>>>Lucic
Veselainen=Puljujarvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->