GDT: Edmonton @ Washington: Battle of the McLastnames | 2/2/22 | 7:00p ET

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I cant honestly say that I remember but I think a hit like that on Bobby Orr would have gotten someone a beat down. Didn't Marty McSorley skate with Gretzky? Maybe I am totally wrong.
He did but Dave Semenko was on his line for a bit (McSorley was a d-man). Tough as nails but I think the over reaction to every hit is worse now.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes. We can. He’s currently available to be hired. The fact that Washington hasn’t moved on him or Stephane Waite is frankly dumbfounding.
It is dumbfounding. Prior was responsible to resurrect Fleury's career in Vegas and he helped Kolzig become a very good goalie for the Caps. Waite was Price's goalie coach for 8 years, including the season Price had when he won the Hart Trophy. We could really find out what we have in VV/Sammy with one of these experienced goalie coaches. Korn did wonders with our goalies, so why can't it be done again with Prior or Waite, assuming they still want to coach at the NHL level.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He did but Dave Semenko was on his line for a bit (McSorley was a d-man). Tough as nails but I think the over reaction to every hit is worse now.

Maybe. I didnt see any reaction to Kane getting destroyed last night. That hit on McDavid was epic. It will be a highlight for years. Anything that big is going to earn at least a couple of crosschecks. Not sure that is going to be nearly ENOUGH reaction. Ive see what Tom Wilson did to Ian Cole after a cheap shot on Kuzy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn’t see any of the postgame but did any reporters actually challenge Lavi about how the PP is costing us games.

You actually want to hear what Lavy says in the post game presser? That said....oh God, I said I wouldnt do this anymore....I can't really hear all the questions. They are off mike, but he blew off 2 or 3 questions last night. From watching these things, you can challenge him with a question and and he just sets it aside with a cliche and takes the next question. There was a question about the power play and he didn't answer it. It was directly related to Carlson being in Ov's spot and turning the puck over. He didnt answer it with anything memorable.

Ok...I am back on Lavy hiatus.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
A McPhee relationship.

Just saw the Canadian broadcast on the Hathaway/McDavid hit. They called Hathaway dirty. They said the hit was legal but then reminded people that Hathaway is dirty. McDavid is lucky that wasn't Wilson.
I don't see how that hit was even remotely dirty. They were both going after the puck, Hathaway got to it first by a split second and passed the puck, then they ran into each other. They thought Hathaway would stop on a dime? On slippery ice?

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
You actually want to hear what Lavy says in the post game presser? That said....oh God, I said I wouldnt do this anymore....I can't really hear all the questions. They are off mike, but he blew off 2 or 3 questions last night. From watching these things, you can challenge him with a question and and he just sets it aside with a cliche and takes the next question. There was a question about the power play and he didn't answer it. It was directly related to Carlson being in Ov's spot and turning the puck over. He didnt answer it with anything memorable.

Ok...I am back on Lavy hiatus.
Thanks for the recap

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Is there a reason we can't bring in someone new to coach the PP? I know its just an assistant coach we'd have to fire but the results are brutal.
The truth is there are really only two possibilities. One, Forsythe is making adjustments and the players are not implementing them. Or two, he isn’t making changes. Either way it falls on the coach.

Reactions: um

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Is there a reason we can't bring in someone new to coach the PP? I know its just an assistant coach we'd have to fire but the results are brutal.

Lavi loves his coaches. If you have some time and want a fun read, read Lavi's firing thread from Pred's board: Laviolette Fired

Lots speculate that Lavi was fired because Poile wanted to get rid of McCarthy but Lavi wanted to ride or die with him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lavi loves his coaches. If you have some time and want a fun read, read Lavi's firing thread from Pred's board: Laviolette Fired

Lots speculate that Lavi was fired because Poile wanted to get rid of McCarthy but Lavi wanted to ride or die with him.
Forsythe and Murray aren't Lavi's guys though. They're holdouts from the Trotz era (with Forsythe dating all the back to the Boudreau era as a video coach).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Forsythe and Murray aren't Lavi's guys though. They're holdouts from the Trotz era (with Forsythe dating all the back to the Boudreau era as a video coach).

Unless we were being lied to, when Lavi was hired it was indicated that he would evaluate the coaching staff and have control over deciding who to keep. I honestly think that wasn't entirely true. If it is true, then Lavi should be fired as well.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Unless we were being lied to, when Lavi was hired it was indicated that he would evaluate the coaching staff and have control over deciding who to keep. I honestly think that wasn't entirely true. If it is true, then Lavi should be fired as well.
Even if he decided to keep them on (which is clouded by some PR fog), it doesn’t mean they’re guys he’s loyal to (certainly not the same way he’s loyal to his long term assistant in McCarthy). There’s assistant coaches that the head coach likes, then there’s assistant coaches that follow a head coach around. Trotz has Korn and all Lambert. Boudreau had Dean Evason and Bob Woods (until Evason got the head coaching gig in Minny). Laviolette has McCarthy. Murray and Forsythe don’t fit that category.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Yeah, but the fact that Lavi has stuck with Forsythe through all this tells me Lavi is okay with him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, but the fact that Lavi has stuck with Forsythe through all this tells me Lavi is okay with him.

This is a reminder. Laviolette has the call on anything and everything the power play does. Very likely Forsythe is doing what Laviolette is telling him to do.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
This is a reminder. Laviolette has the call on anything and everything the power play does. Very likely Forsythe is doing what Laviolette is telling him to do.

I dunno. I mean I can believe that. But I can also believe that he lets Forsythe have control of the PP. It could be that Lavi doesn't want to fire assistants midway through the season, I don't think many coaches would do that. And he had no reason to fire Forsythe this past off season coz the PP was good last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad