GDT: Edmonton @ Washington: Battle of the McLastnames | 2/2/22 | 7:00p ET

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
You don’t believe that…..you just can’t wrap your head around the non-firing so far.

I don't have a strong opinion on firing anyone. I honestly cannot wrap my head around just sticking with the same stagnant, disfunctional system for months on end. It's comical to watch very talented players like Kuznetsov/Carlson/Backstrom/etc. survey the zone and not see a single passing or shooting option that they like.

Reactions: Hivemind

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Having Kuznetsov do whatever he did on the half wall on the PP tonight, let alone letting him run the half wall instead of Backstrom, might be the worst PP coaching decision of the season. And there’s obviously been many.

It looked like Forsythe wanted him looking at a certain lane that clearly wasn’t there after the 1st PP, let alone the 3rd PP. Schultz had multiple opportunities to shoot it and gave it immediately back to Kuznetsov, and Kuznetsov just held it on the half wall waiting for a lane that never opened up.
But why would he even have 92 run the PP?

Backstrom has been the conductor of the same PP setup for 8+ years that has generally been very good. They were good last year. Then with 92 running it this year and Backstrom out, they’re terrible. Since Backstrom has gotten back, they’ve generally looked better with him running it than without him. Then they have 92 running it again tonight and they don’t get a shot in 6 minutes of PP time and give up the GWG.

We can all say that running Hagelin out there when he provides nothing is a terrible coaching decision but I think the PP decisions by Forsythe tonight are honestly the worst single game coaching tactics/decisions I’ve ever seen. It was that bad. He needs to go.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I don't have a strong opinion on firing anyone. I honestly cannot wrap my head around just sticking with the same stagnant, disfunctional system for months on end. It's comical to watch very talented players like Kuznetsov/Carlson/Backstrom/etc. survey the zone and not see a single passing or shooting option that they like.

“months on the end”’ is being generous. We are seasons on end with that now.

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think we can blame this loss and Hagelin and Hathaway. Hagelin drew that penalty and Hathaway hit the post with a chance to keep the pp off the ice.

Now we know why maybe Carlson doesnt play over there a lot. Its harder than it looks.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
I think we can blame this loss and Hagelin and Hathaway. Hagelin drew that penalty and Hathaway hit the post with a chance to keep the pp off the ice.

Now we know why maybe Carlson doesnt play over there a lot. Its harder than it looks.

“Drew a penalty”. That was surely the highlight of his season. Hopefully he gets his contract extension quickly with a well earned raise. Shame we won’t see him at the All star games instead of Wilson.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
SamSCHLOMOv is the worst. Time to see if a fresh start on another team can unleash the potential we've heard about but rarely witnessed.

This team really does need a proven #1 goalie more than anything else. Great teams are built from the net out - isn't that how the saying goes?

Special teams are fixable - but not as long as Forsythe is still around. Zero expectations that he'll be gone during the All Star break, but I'll have my fingers crossed.

Reactions: caps4cup

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
SamSCHLOMOv is the worst. Time to see if a fresh start on another team can unleash the potential we've heard about but rarely witnessed.

This team really does need a proven #1 goalie more than anything else. Great teams are built from the net out - isn't that how the saying goes?

Special teams are fixable - but not as long as Forsythe is still around. Zero expectations that he'll be gone during the All Star break, but I'll have my fingers crossed.
I doubt they would can him mid season. Not sure how often that happens? More likely would be to take that responsibility away from him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
“Drew a penalty”. That was surely the highlight of his season. Hopefully he gets his contract extension quickly with a well earned raise. Shame we won’t see him at the All star games instead of Wilson.

Whatever gets you thru the night

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Having Kuznetsov do whatever he did on the half wall on the PP tonight, let alone letting him run the half wall instead of Backstrom, might be the worst PP coaching decision of the season. And there’s obviously been many.

It looked like Forsythe wanted him looking at a certain lane that clearly wasn’t there after the 1st PP, let alone the 3rd PP. Schultz had multiple opportunities to shoot it and gave it immediately back to Kuznetsov, and Kuznetsov just held it on the half wall waiting for a lane that never opened up.
But why would he even have 92 run the PP?

Backstrom has been the conductor of the same PP setup for 8+ years that has generally been very good. They were good last year. Then with 92 running it this year and Backstrom out, they’re terrible. Since Backstrom has gotten back, they’ve generally looked better with him running it than without him. Then they have 92 running it again tonight and they don’t get a shot in 6 minutes of PP time and give up the GWG.

We can all say that running Hagelin out there when he provides nothing is a terrible coaching decision but I think the PP decisions by Forsythe tonight are honestly the worst single game coaching tactics/decisions I’ve ever seen. It was that bad. He needs to go.
He was looking for Wilson. Never really moved more than 3 feet either side to find a passing lane. Wilson didn’t move a ton either.

This PP reminded me of 95% of the PPs this season. There’s one play they have in mind and if not open they’re lost. Really perplexed why they went back to this after a couple games of pressuring the PK from all angles with passing and player movement.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Love it when the coach plays Nic Dowd more than Evgeny Kuznetsov and Nicklas Backstrom at ES.

Love it when the staff can’t coach up a PP to get a single shot on goal all game on top of giving up the game-losing SH goal against.

Love it when they won’t play Contrary McMaverick in a game where they could have used a spark in the top 6 with Ovechkin out.

I think I’m ready to officially declare that this coaching staff stinks!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Imagine if uh Brian Boyle got more ES TOI than Sidney Crosby in any single game! It’s preposterous!

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
He is a Pryor disciple. He took over after Pryor quit because of Oates and helped get Holtby straightened out. I believe he has worked woth both Vitek and Sammy when they were in Hershey but I could have that wrong
Dave is director of goaltending in Vegas but isn’t day to day coaching.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dave is director of goaltending in Vegas but isn’t day to day coaching.

A McPhee relationship.

Just saw the Canadian broadcast on the Hathaway/McDavid hit. They called Hathaway dirty. They said the hit was legal but then reminded people that Hathaway is dirty. McDavid is lucky that wasn't Wilson.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
A McPhee relationship.

Just saw the Canadian broadcast on the Hathaway/McDavid hit. They called Hathaway dirty. They said the hit was legal but then reminded people that Hathaway is dirty. McDavid is lucky that wasn't Wilson.
I miss the days when hitting was an accepted aspect of the game and you didn’t have to fight someone for a clean hit. You’d get back to the bench and get chastised by your team to keep your head on a swivel.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I miss the days when hitting was an accepted aspect of the game and you didn’t have to fight someone for a clean hit. You’d get back to the bench and get chastised by your team to keep your head on a swivel.

I cant honestly say that I remember but I think a hit like that on Bobby Orr would have gotten someone a beat down. Didn't Marty McSorley skate with Gretzky? Maybe I am totally wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad