Proposal: Edmonton - Toronto

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
I don't see "top" potential in Yakupov, I think a lot of you are tantalized with #1 overall pick status. I don't really understand your drafting analogy, the fact of the matter is the drafting you pick the BPA. Typically, a trade is to pick-up a position of need not value.

A team like Montreal should be all over this.. not Toronto. We don't need to re-furbish this kinda asset for the purpose of flipping it.

But if you are getting a steal of a deal you do it regardless of need. If Toronto declines and Montreal offers a 3rd for him then Montreal cost better (meaning Toronto got worse) when for a 4th and Corrado we could have prevented that. If we were giving up Corrado and a 2nd then yes we decline, even if we thought the risk was worth it the need isn't there. In this case though it works.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Corrado can be easily replaced.

He already was. Zaitsev, Carrick, Polak. Yes Corrado will get Polak's spot after he is traded but for now we are fine and can easily replace him later. We shouldn't move Corrado for the sake of moving him but for a steal why not.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Yakupov is certainly available, but not for fringe NHL'ers and mid round picks. If that's all he could garner in trade, we'll keep him and try to reclaim him ourselves.

Exactly this.

Edmonton shouldn't move Yakupov for any less than another reclamation project and a 2nd round pick. The reason for the 2nd is that Edmonton controls Yakupov's RFA rights for a few more years and any offer sheet is a 2nd. If all they can get is a 4th rounder and depth body then keep Yakupov and either he turns it around or he busts and you are out literally nothing.

Same argument for the trade proposal. If Toronto is offered this then you take it and then trade Holland for whatever you can get (pick and/or depth defender).

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
To Toronto: Yakupov

To Edmonton: Corrado + 4th.

Oilers get a decent bottom pairing RHD + a pick while the leafs get a nice shot at a reclamation project.

Let's turn this around:

Gardiner

for

Clendening (If we still had him) + 4th

Would you do it? My thoughts exactly. Corrado looks like a waiver wire player. I wouldn't do it. I'd rather keep Yakupov and see how he does Post-Hall.

Edit: I'M not comparing player for player. Only one crappy deal for another crappy deal. THAT'S my point.

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Let's turn this around:

Gardiner

for

Would you do it? My thoughts exactly. Corrado looks like a waiver wire player. I wouldn't do it. I'd rather keep Yakupov and see how he does Post-Hall.

So in this example Yak is Gardiner? Considering one has carved a niche as a 2nd pairing defenseman and the other still has questions about whether he can play in the NHL, not a good comparison.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Let's turn this around:

Gardiner

for

Those things aren't alike at all. Yakupov doesn't even look like an NHLer. Gardiner was always a good player in a 2nd pairing role. Carlyle was just too stupid to realize it. If you still had Eakins as coach maybe you could see Yakupov turning around, but 3 coaches have all found him impossible to use.

I think the Oilers would be lucky to get much beyond a middle round pick for him unless they retain half the salary for the season. Somewhere in the 3rd-5th round would be about right. He has negative value as a hockey player, but the small chance he finds something is what people are paying for. You don't give up a top 60 pick for that.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Let's turn this around:

Gardiner

for

???

I do not see the comparison. Gardiner has legitimate value and Yakupov struggles to secure a job.

3rd round pick is probably what Yaks is worth right now, until proven otherwise.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
So in this example Yak is Gardiner? Considering one has carved a niche as a 2nd pairing defenseman and the other still has questions about whether he can play in the NHL, not a good comparison.

Your the one comparing them. I'm giving an example of why that offer is not good. Capiche?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Those things aren't alike at all. Yakupov doesn't even look like an NHLer. Gardiner was always a good player in a 2nd pairing role. Carlyle was just too stupid to realize it. If you still had Eakins as coach maybe you could see Yakupov turning around, but 3 coaches have all found him impossible to use.

I think the Oilers would be lucky to get much beyond a middle round pick for him unless they retain half the salary for the season. Somewhere in the 3rd-5th round would be about right. He has negative value as a hockey player, but the small chance he finds something is what people are paying for. You don't give up a top 60 pick for that.

???

I do not see the comparison. Gardiner has legitimate value and Yakupov struggles to secure a job.

3rd round pick is probably what Yaks is worth right now, until proven otherwise.

I don't care about the comparison. I'm saying it's not worth trading him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't care about the comparison. I'm saying it's not worth trading him.

Just getting him out of the lineup would be worth it if I was an Oilers fan. That situation isn't going to work out. He's not good enough to play in the NHL at this point at anything. Your QO for him next year is 2.75 million. Do you honestly think they're going to qualify him? I'd be stunned if they did. Chiarelli is quite a bit smarter than MacT and has no skin in the Yakupov game.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Just getting him out of the lineup would be worth it if I was an Oilers fan. That situation isn't going to work out. He's not good enough to play in the NHL at this point at anything. Your QO for him next year is 2.75 million. Do you honestly think they're going to qualify him? I'd be stunned if they did. Chiarelli is quite a bit smarter than MacT and has no skin in the Yakupov game.

Think about it though, Hall was traded out which leaves Yakupov as the only #1 OA pick on the wing and he get's his chance to shine with either McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. There was even reports Hall and Yakupov couldn't get along. He is getting a fresh start on the team. And it would be VERY dumb to sell short on a player who can be a 25-25 player in the NHL for peanuts. Your right, Chia isn't dumb but if he did that trade, he'd be sitting right next to Jim Benning as the GMs with no brain. He's only 22 and he still can shine. I'd agree with the trade if he was 25-26, because by then, he would be considered a bust, but until then, pass on any trades that are a 3rd and lower.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Let's turn this around:

Gardiner

for

Yeah that's not even close to the same thing. Gardiner is a top 4 guy while Yakupov can still bust. Not saying he will but your comparison is crap.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maybe. But that doesn't mean we will give him away for parts that we don't need. Yak has been available I'm sure. But we certainly don't have to trade him. Part of me really hopes he gets played with Lucic and McDavid this year. Even if its just for part of the year to let him get his confidence back. Yakupov has his flaws, but has certainly shown that he can produce when given the chance to. No need to give up a player like that for beans at this point.
He was great to start the season last year with McDavid(ppg or damn close). Then McDavid went down and he got hurt shortly after. By the time he came back Eberle had started to click with McDavid so yet again he was on the 3/4 line with Letestu

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

He doesn't have negative value. That's just as ridiculous. $2.5M for a third line scorer (assuming he cannot improve) is decent.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He doesn't have negative value. That's just as ridiculous. $2.5M for a third line scorer (assuming he cannot improve) is decent.

He's not a 3rd line scorer. He's not really a scorer of any kind. He had 8 goals last year. That's barely a 4th liner and usually 4th liners are good in battles, kill penalties and play well defensively. So he scores at a 4th line level and doesn't do anything else. That means he's not an NHLer.

Glencross, Pouliot ect. Those guys are 3rd line scorers. Yakupov, not so much.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's not a 3rd line scorer. He's not really a scorer of any kind. He had 8 goals last year. That's barely a 4th liner and usually 4th liners are good in battles, kill penalties and play well defensively. So he scores at a 4th line level and doesn't do anything else. That means he's not an NHLer.

Glencross, Pouliot ect. Those guys are 3rd line scorers. Yakupov, not so much.
Pouliots 36 points in 55 games would make him a 1st liner in Toronto:laugh:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Your the one comparing them. I'm giving an example of why that offer is not good. Capiche?

Well the trade you proposed is not good because Gardiner is worth much more than Clendening and a 4th while Yak might be worth a 3rd at this point.

Either way we get it, you don't like the trade. Neither do I as a Leaf fan and taking Edmonton's needs into consideration.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Pouliots 36 points in 55 games would make him a 1st liner in Toronto:laugh:

Let me get this straight, you are an Edmonton fan taking shots at how bad a team Toronto is?

Good to see what 8 years of losing has taught you.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well the trade you proposed is not good because Gardiner is worth much more than Clendening and a 4th while Yak might be worth a 3rd at this point.

Either way we get it, you don't like the trade. Neither do I as a Leaf fan and taking Edmonton's needs into consideration.

That's not even a SERIOUS offer! Dude, I was just showing how lopsided that deal is for Edmonton as it is for Toronto. Move on from that. :help:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That's not even a SERIOUS offer! Dude, I was just showing how lopsided that deal is for Edmonton as it is for Toronto. Move on from that. :help:

It's more than I'd offer. The only way I'd take Yakupov is if a bad contract was going the other way. I wouldn't even take him on waivers.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Let me get this straight, you are an Edmonton fan taking shots at how bad a team Toronto is?

Good to see what 8 years of losing has taught you.

The Oilers recent record does not have any effect on how bad a team the Maple Leafs are.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He was great to start the season last year with McDavid(ppg or damn close). Then McDavid went down and he got hurt shortly after. By the time he came back Eberle had started to click with McDavid so yet again he was on the 3/4 line with Letestu

Exactly. That's why I think we should try him out with McDavid and Lucic. Let Eberle hold down the 2nd line with, say Draisaitl and Maroon, which would leave Pouliot-Nuge-Pulujarvi as our third line. Pretty decent top 9 going on there in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad