Proposal: Edmonton - Toronto

Mad Brills*

To Toronto: Yakupov

To Edmonton: Corrado + 4th.

Oilers get a decent bottom pairing RHD + a pick while the leafs get a nice shot at a reclamation project.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Oilers get a decent bottom pairing RHD + a pick while the leafs get a nice shot at a reclamation project.

No risk for Toronto, we gave up a 4th for Marincin and while Corrado is a good depth guy it is kite than worth giving up for a shot of developing a top 6 sniper. Leaves us short on defense and too deep at forward but we can fix that with a trade.

Edmonton though has no reason to do that. They can get a depth defender for a lot less than Yakupov. Heck with RFA offer sheet rules, any one who wants Yakupov can offer sheet him for a 2nd round pick easy. I wouldn't move Yakupov for anything less than a 2nd and young depth piece.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
LOL yeah because Corrado and a 4th is way too good of a package to waste on a former 1st overall who may just need a change of scenery. Get a grip, Leafs take this and run. Edmonton hangs up laughing.

Why does Toronto need a forward? We already have a glut of prospects on their way up.

I'd rather open up a spot for Brown/Kapanen.. This proposal fails to consider organizational need. Brown is our most under-rated prospect..

It has nothing to do with Corrado

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Why does Toronto need a forward? We already have a glut of prospects on their way up.

I'd rather open up a spot for Brown/Kapanen.. This proposal fails to consider organizational need. Brown is our most under-rated prospect..

Except that if the cost to potentially get a top player is next to nothing then you do it regardless of need. Same principal for drafting the BPA instead of need. If Edmonton was drafting need they would have taken Fabbro (RHD), they didn't because that's stupid. You can fill a need via trade (which they did, bad deal or not).

Leafs take this and run. They then attempt to move Greening & Holland for a depth defender with a higher one year contract (if possible) freeing up more spots for Brown, Leivo, etc.

That's how you build a great team with excellent asset management. Worse case we are wrong and lost a 4th and Corrado. We moved a 4th for Marincin which could have been a bad move but it was worth the "risk".

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Doesn't matter if it's Toronto or not, just please trade Yak somewhere. He needs a change of scenery in the worst way

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Except that if the cost to potentially get a top player is next to nothing then you do it regardless of need. Same principal for drafting the BPA instead of need. If Edmonton was drafting need they would have taken Fabbro (RHD), they didn't because that's stupid. You can fill a need via trade (which they did, bad deal or not).

Leafs take this and run. They then attempt to move Greening & Holland for a depth defender with a higher one year contract (if possible) freeing up more spots for Brown, Leivo, etc.

That's how you build a great team with excellent asset management. Worse case we are wrong and lost a 4th and Corrado. We moved a 4th for Marincin which could have been a bad move but it was worth the "risk".

I don't see "top" potential in Yakupov, I think a lot of you are tantalized with #1 overall pick status. I don't really understand your drafting analogy, the fact of the matter is the drafting you pick the BPA. Typically, a trade is to pick-up a position of need not value.

A team like Montreal should be all over this.. not Toronto. We don't need to re-furbish this kinda asset for the purpose of flipping it.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Corrado has no value, no way edm trades yakupov for a 4th

Leafs say no.

Keep your former #1 overall who put up a career high of 33 points

the bolded clearly states the Truth.
Corrado will be at best our 7th D ...he likely wouldnt make the Oilers bottom pair either.
the only negative for the Leafs is the $$ aspect

imapylon

Mar 6, 2016
Sure we'll (Leafs) can take a chance on him. Kid looked great his rookie season. He's cheap and if he performs could be moved for something better then Corrado and a 4th...however there is a log jam up front so it really wouldn't work. Good offer though, for the Leafs anyway

Last edited:

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
If I was an NHL GM I would move a 2nd for him.
Sometimes you need to risk a bit to get a bit and realistically a 2nd isnt that bad.
Not sure if the Leafs are the place though but he might do well with more insulation and good defense.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
If I were management I'd say no to that. Gotta have spots for marner, Kapanen, brown, timashov and bracco in a few years. Don't see the need for a head case reclamation project. Value is there just plain and simple don't want to save a spot for yak.

People are often fooled by Corrados draft position. He's a 3rd pair d currently. Room to improve. #4 ceiling.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
This would be a good deal for the Leafs. A change of scenery would be good for Yakupov.

He's a hard working player but doesn't seem to be all that smart. I think Babcock can work with him and at $2.5M, it not a huge risk.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay

DUDE STOP MAKING PROPOSALS OF TORONTO ACQUIRING FORWARDS. They are not going too. They have to many as it is. Why would you want to give a shot to a guy that has already failed in one place over one of your own prospects that have looked great and have put there time and development in.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Not at all interested in Yak. How will he react when he is benched or worse scratched? Can Yak be taught the things he needs to learn? From what I understand Yak is basically a 1st or 2nd line winger or he is nothing. Considering the depth at forward position I am not interested in burying a more talented player on the 3rd or 4th line to help showcase Yak for a future trade.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
yeah lets trade a RHD when that's where we are weak and have no depth. If your going to make proposals for the leafs maybe you know hit their needs. Like trading for a RHD or a back up goalie. Just a thought.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
LOL yeah because Corrado and a 4th is way too good of a package to waste on a former 1st overall who may just need a change of scenery. Get a grip, Leafs take this and run. Edmonton hangs up laughing.

People really need to let go of the whole 1st overall thing. Yakupov is a bust. It doesn't mean he can't be a solid player but it's safe to say he's never going to live up to his draft position.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Leafs don't need a reclamation project.
We have to make room on the wings for Marner/Nylander/Brown/Sosh/Hyman/Rychel/Martin etc. etc.

We need the decent bottom pairing RHD as it is.
Wingers are not our primary concern. A RHD is our primary concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->