News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Oilers Snow Fan

Sep 13, 2021
Anyone notice today on the Jason Gregor show when he was praising norm McDonald he plays a clip where he edits out the "fruity" in the fruity fish line

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm surprised its taken this long.
Lots of people moving direct to podcast and I'm loving it. I used to listen to a lot of Oilers now only because it was one of the few places to get consistent hockey talk. I'm of the opinion they flew the advertisement coup though and had to stop subscribing. Seriously that show can't go 10 seconds without spitting out something about some advertiser segment. Now for our daily transaction update brought to you by some guys pizza... followed by 20 secs about said guys pizza joint... then 5 seconds on the transactions.. then back to another segment brought to you by some other place haha. Seriously though it got to a point where I stopped enjoying the show (I don't know how anyone could bear this show live with normal commercials also) so I unsubscribed.

TSN 1260 I'm guessing just can't justify a show dedicated purely to hockey. I can understand. The hosts love all sports for one and probably don't want to talk about just hockey. And two it would likely take away from the other shows hockey talk perhaps.
Either way for the consumer these days it's not really our problem. We know what we want.. and we'll find it. I want hockey talk.. not basketball.. racing.. football. Don't want to hear no guilt support the Elks crap. I know my interests thank you very much.

TSN radio or whomever is responsible for putting together podcasts of shows likely just needs to step up their game.
Gregor's Show puts out some of my favorite talk of hockey. But I'd have to pick apart 4 hours of podcasts to get at it while they talk about stuff I have no interest in.
Simply pulling that content out into a pure hockey podcast would make me an instant subscriber.

As it is I'm going to try some of these national ones and hope local radio steps up their podcast game eventually.
Now that I think of it there's probably some great ones locally I don't even know about. Would a sticky in this thread or somewhere be a good idea?
Just a place to list hockey podcasts, or even an online directory.

The Radio is making the content daily.. they just don't do a good job of making it available for consumption.
I dunno just how I feel I guess.

I'm lucky to have been in the podcast game for years now as its the only viable option with the timezone difference here in Australia. Once a year I might listen live online if it's trade deadline day and can't fathom how people can listen live with all the advertisements. Drives me insane.
Agree about the Gregor show, it's actually my go-to Oilers podcast now. It's not too difficult to filter out the non-hockey stuff as the segments are titled by the guest. You can also guarantee the opening segments on the days following the games. I exclusively just cycle through the segments with Rishaug, Ferraro, Gazzola and Woodley, Seravalli's segment on Lowetide, and Friedman's segment on Oilers Now. Add in 31 Thoughts, Spittin Chiclets and DFO and it's a pretty full lineup.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Couldn't disagree more. Nice to have a younger view on things rather than listening to all these 50+ year olds talking about the good old hockey days.

I think Yaremchuk is a bright young talent, well spoken and intelligent, and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says.
I don't understand why he gets hate from some people.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
I think Yaremchuk is a bright young talent, well spoken and intelligent, and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says.
I don't understand why he gets hate from some people.

Total opposite for me, hope he never comes back and will avoid anything he is apart of.

Reactions: TB12

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Tyler Yaremchuk leaving is amazing news and he barely chimes in on the DFO podcast so that's a win win, now it's time to get rid of Mathew Iwanyk.
Matthew Iwanyk is one of my favourite hosts. Best is when he teams with LoweTide.

Last edited:

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I know we talk about this every year...but it simply cannot be understated how badly the Oilers need to move on from Jack Michaels. He completely missed the first goal because he was reminding us about Neal and Frolik signing PTOs. :facepalm:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Holy i turn on Oilers now and bob is talking about politics

FFS shut the f*** up buddy. We dont give two shits
That's not why we turn on Oilers Now

Love when he rambles off a leading question towards a guest making sure to "wink wink nudge nudge" a few political opinions on route.

By the time he actually kicks back to the guest you have no idea if there was a question in there somewhere.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
"If we can't talk politics the night after election when can we talk about it" we tune into Oilers now to hear about hockey bob if we want to listen to political talk ched has it from 8pm to 1159 am then again from 2 to 6

You can change your username without having to create a new account if you ever wanted to.

Click on your username in the upper right hand corner, on "Change username" when the drop down menu appears

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You can change your username without having to create a new account if you ever wanted to.

Click on your username in the upper right hand corner, on "Change username" when the drop down menu appears

Also, I just checked and BobStauffersNoseWhistle is still available if you decide to change your name. Your welcome! :)

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I don't know why, but I can't stand that new guy on 1260. I think his name is harnan or I don't even know. All I remember is that when we signed Hyman, he went on Lowetide and sounded like a miserable baby. Whining non stop. He also sounds like he was 5 marbles in his mouth when he talks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad