News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The way he acted on his "Elks" crusade was incredibly over the top. I disagree with the change, but can respect that some might have a different opinion. He was bordering on losing his marbles at the time because some didn't agree with him.

He's very much of the "you don't want the name changed, then YOU'RE RACIST" mindset, which I have zero time for.
I didn't want it, but whatever it is what it is.

But ya I don't have time for extremists on both sides of the coin that you are a bad person if you are for or against the name change.

Reactions: CM4

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
o00iA31.png

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
And did anything of value really happen

The orb of Thesalon opened, revealing that Connor McDavid is actually an alien from an ice planet where everyone skates instead of walks. Bob remarked "huh, that's why you should stick around to the second hour. You NEVER KNOW what alien orbs are going to reveal".

He then plugged chicken pizza & vamped about his time as a tree planter for the last 47 minutes of the show. Well, 45 minutes. He had to get some unsolicited politics in there too.

Reactions: Stoneman89

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Died laughing when he posted this.

I'm not sure at this point if he is just making fun of himself with the tree planting or is genuinely oddly proud of it. I would have thought the former, but after Strudwick said he whips out tree planting photos unsolicited to people he just met I'm thinking it's the latter.

A few weeks ago he was telling a tale about when he was covering the 91 Canada Cup Eric Lindros stopped in his tracks and asked Stauffer if he was playing or something to the effect. I think it comes down to Stuaffer using every opportunity he can to prove to people that yes, at one point in his life he was actually in shape.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I have no idea how he got that position, but I can't stand anything that he does. He's a terrible writer with no real insight

I've said this before but I think it was the 4th anniversary of the Lucic signing. First without him. And Laing posed the question should the Oilers have signed him or something along those lines. I was looking forward to some astute observation that made me rethink how NHL does business.

Instead he came to the conclusion that it should've been 3-4 years at a max of $5.5M or so.

Wow! What insight.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013

Wild ratings. I quite like Lisa & Ryder in the morning they are hilarious but I don't like the music anymore, so I listen to their podcast instead.

Tough look for TSN 1260, I'm shocked it's that low. I thought they were top for males ages 19-34 or something, that's probably important.

Also wonder where Tyler Yaremchuk is heading. He is quite young so I assume he sees the writing on the wall and getting out of radio? He was a good balance to Lowetide.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Wild ratings. I quite like Lisa & Ryder in the morning they are hilarious but I don't like the music anymore, so I listen to their podcast instead.

Tough look for TSN 1260, I'm shocked it's that low. I thought they were top for males ages 19-34 or something, that's probably important.

Also wonder where Tyler Yaremchuk is heading. He is quite young so I assume he sees the writing on the wall and getting out of radio? He was a good balance to Lowetide.

Sports is a niche market. As well, there's nothing on from 6 PM to 6 AM unless they pick up the Oil Kings games. According to the Numeris fall BBM numbers, TSN is ahead of CBC Radio 2 and Global News 880 in the overall 25-54 listener. Surprisingly, they're not far behind CHED. These numbers are more than likely OTA and don't include streaming.

Fall PPM ratings for Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Montreal - Broadcast Dialogue

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Covid also cut into sport numbers across Canada last year.

"Sports radio: Without sports, there’s much less interest in hearing it or talking about it. Every sports-talk station in Canada’s five largest markets lost audience, between 50% to 72%. Hardest hit was Montreal’s 91,9 Sports."

TSN had lost 61% of their audience due to nothing to talk about.

Radio ratings: COVID-19 causes sports radio audiences to plummet | Fagstein

Reactions: bellagiobob

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm surprised its taken this long.
Lots of people moving direct to podcast and I'm loving it. I used to listen to a lot of Oilers now only because it was one of the few places to get consistent hockey talk. I'm of the opinion they flew the advertisement coup though and had to stop subscribing. Seriously that show can't go 10 seconds without spitting out something about some advertiser segment. Now for our daily transaction update brought to you by some guys pizza... followed by 20 secs about said guys pizza joint... then 5 seconds on the transactions.. then back to another segment brought to you by some other place haha. Seriously though it got to a point where I stopped enjoying the show (I don't know how anyone could bear this show live with normal commercials also) so I unsubscribed.

TSN 1260 I'm guessing just can't justify a show dedicated purely to hockey. I can understand. The hosts love all sports for one and probably don't want to talk about just hockey. And two it would likely take away from the other shows hockey talk perhaps.
Either way for the consumer these days it's not really our problem. We know what we want.. and we'll find it. I want hockey talk.. not basketball.. racing.. football. Don't want to hear no guilt support the Elks crap. I know my interests thank you very much.

TSN radio or whomever is responsible for putting together podcasts of shows likely just needs to step up their game.
Gregor's Show puts out some of my favorite talk of hockey. But I'd have to pick apart 4 hours of podcasts to get at it while they talk about stuff I have no interest in.
Simply pulling that content out into a pure hockey podcast would make me an instant subscriber.

As it is I'm going to try some of these national ones and hope local radio steps up their podcast game eventually.
Now that I think of it there's probably some great ones locally I don't even know about. Would a sticky in this thread or somewhere be a good idea?
Just a place to list hockey podcasts, or even an online directory.

The Radio is making the content daily.. they just don't do a good job of making it available for consumption.
I dunno just how I feel I guess.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Tyler Yaremchuk leaving is amazing news and he barely chimes in on the DFO podcast so that's a win win, now it's time to get rid of Mathew Iwanyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad