News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I assume it was to do with the first time Struds met Stauffer and Stauffer was showing him of a tree he planted. I believe with no shirt on.

Struds was saying it was quite weird that the first thing the guy ever talked about and showed him was that picture.

Weird, but it fits the Oilers moto of talking about "remember when" rather than dealing with the here and now.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Remember when...

...the CFRN Funky Chicken?:D
I remember a Trappers game at old John Ducey Park during which the CFRN Funky Chicken had been entertaining the crowd but then suddenly disappeared for a few innings. I'd completely forgotten about him until the P.A. announcer came on saying, "Will the CFRN Funky Chicken please get down from the center field fence...". There he was as the other team was coming to bat standing nonchalantly on top of the fence with one hand on the high wall in center. So funny.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I remember a Trappers game at old John Ducey Park during which the CFRN Funky Chicken had been entertaining the crowd but then suddenly disappeared for a few innings. I'd completely forgotten about him until the P.A. announcer came on saying, "Will the CFRN Funky Chicken please get down from the center field fence...". There he was as the other team was coming to bat standing nonchalantly on top of the fence with one hand on the high wall in center. So funny.

There was a Drillers game, where the northwest corner of the pitch was a lake and he was sailing a toy sailboat on it during the game. Actually got red-carded.:laugh:

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Not really radio but didn’t want to start a new thread and wasn’t sure where to put it.

Apparently Caroline Szwed joined Oilers Nation @Cloned

Weird, but okay
That group picked up Carline Szewd and Frank Seravalli, might be the future of hockey reporting. Honestly between DFO and Oilers Nation I can't be bothered with radio anymore.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I enjoy when Elliott snaps back at Bob when Bob starts grumbling about politics and Eastern Canada for no reason at all.

Bob should cool off and let Brendan do a few shows this summer. Maybe he needs to get back on the Mediterranean Chickens.

He's got to cool it on the "left" BS that he spins into each narrative. I'm very far from someone "on the left," but it probably annoys me as much as someone that is.

In addition to the swallowing noises, I also get a kick out of when you can tell he is losing his breath at the end of a medium to long sentence. His words get short and it sounds like he's inhaling at the end of the sentence.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That group picked up Carline Szewd and Frank Seravalli, might be the future of hockey reporting. Honestly between DFO and Oilers Nation I can't be bothered with radio anymore.

It’s too bad that the closest they have to writers are the ghost of Robin Brownlee and Baggedmilk’s post game template algorithm. If they fixed that it would help a bit more as well

Reactions: boredem

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's got to cool it on the "left" BS that he spins into each narrative. I'm very far from someone "on the left," but it probably annoys me as much as someone that is.

In addition to the swallowing noises, I also get a kick out of when you can tell he is losing his breath at the end of a medium to long sentence. His words get short and it sounds like he's inhaling at the end of the sentence.
He has to have terrible sleep apnea.

Reactions: oilers'72

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Probably wouldn't be so out of breath if he could ask a simple, straight forward question. Instead he has 5 tangents and 4 qualifiers for every question. Absolutely painful to listen to. Tuned out a long time ago as he's the worst.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Probably wouldn't be so out of breath if he could ask a simple, straight forward question. Instead he has 5 tangents and 4 qualifiers for every question. Absolutely painful to listen to. Tuned out a long time ago as he's the worst.
Uhhhh tree planting uhhh Fort St John uhhhh centrist(wtf?) Uhhh Guy Gadowsky uhh Penn State uhhh linemate in midget AA in 1980 uhhh South Side Athletic Uhhh Stu MacGregor uhhhhh U of A Golden Bears Clare Drake uhhhhh So, Elliot, what is Darnell Nurse's next conract going to look like?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Uhhhh tree planting uhhh Fort St John uhhhh centrist(wtf?) Uhhh Guy Gadowsky uhh Penn State uhhh linemate in midget AA in 1980 uhhh South Side Athletic Uhhh Stu MacGregor uhhhhh U of A Golden Bears Clare Drake uhhhhh So, Elliot, what is Darnell Nurse's next conract going to look like?
You absolutely captured it. Just add “brought to you by Royal Pizza and the Stauffer recommendation, Mediterranean Chicken” and you have got the full 2 hours down pat.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I had to laugh, Iwanyk read a message saying they shouldn't be talking about soccer from 12-1 and should focus on the Oilers. He essentially said he'll talk about whatever he feels like.

Personally him and Hernan don't seem to be the best to be on the air, so maybe they should actually talk about things the fans want in that time slot that people have off for lunch. Just going to lose listeners to Bob.

Edit: Also how was McLeod our 2nd line center in the playoffs?

Last edited:
Reactions: McTonyBrar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not even that Zach Laing writes for Oilers Nation. It's that Zach Laing seemingly writes 90% of the articles for Oilers Nation.

Such a bummer to see his name on every byline over there .
They don't have all that many decent writers to begin with. I really only read Gregor as he's the only guy that has some sort of access to the team or sources.

Brownlee pissed me off years ago so I don't even bother reading anything he has to say. There was big news one day and the only guy with access to the team was him as Gregor was away. Instead he posted an article he had done up the night before and when asked in the comment section he specifically told everyone "I'm only paid to do x amount of articles a month and this one was done already". Would think he'd make an exception, but that's not the way he operates.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I had to laugh, Iwanyk read a message saying they shouldn't be talking about soccer from 12-1 and should focus on the Oilers. He essentially said he'll talk about whatever he feels like.

Personally him and Hernan don't seem to be the best to be on the air, so maybe they should actually talk about things the fans want in that time slot that people have off for lunch. Just going to lose listeners to Bob.

Edit: Also how was McLeod our 2nd line center in the playoffs?

Ewanyk is such an annoying little turd.

Maybe talking about soccer from 12-1 is why they are behind Oilers Now in ratings by a landslide, all while a significant number of fans can't stand Bob Stauffer, but still tune in rather than the alternative.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ewanyk is such an annoying little turd.

Maybe talking about soccer from 12-1 is why they are behind Oilers Now in ratings by a landslide, all while a significant number of fans can't stand Bob Stauffer, but still tune in rather than the alternative.
If I'm in vehicle I flip back and forth. Their commercial breaks are at different times which is kind of nice when you want to get in as much info as you can in little time.

I agree on Ewanyk, has worse attitude than Gregor, a more annoying radio voice and has no real connections like others do. Just doesn't bring anything for me.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If I'm in vehicle I flip back and forth. Their commercial breaks are at different times which is kind of nice when you want to get in as much info as you can in little time.

I agree on Ewanyk, has worse attitude than Gregor, a more annoying radio voice and has no real connections like others do. Just doesn't bring anything for me.

The way he acted on his "Elks" crusade was incredibly over the top. I disagree with the change, but can respect that some might have a different opinion. He was bordering on losing his marbles at the time because some didn't agree with him.

He's very much of the "you don't want the name changed, then YOU'RE RACIST" mindset, which I have zero time for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad