News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The trouble is this is Tychkowski and far from the first time he has attempted to carve Leon. Tych was also furious at the Drai contract and took the regular position that it was massive overpay, Drai would never earn the contract, and that the most he would go was 7M. I mean it hurts to be wrong all day every year. The biggest mystery is why anybody still thinks these guys should have media credentials or credibility.

Theres a certain amount of being wrong at which a person, especially a professional, should just STFU and hand in their credentials and find something else to do. I mean thisn't a guy being wrong on a Yama, or a Benson, or a Strome. Its being wrong on Draisaitl. idiot.

I don't know if or any other of us older types remember that then sports writer for the Sun Kaye Corbett went off on one of the Esks, in a column. I want to think it was Larry Highbaugh. The whole column was so childish that Corbett was fired and has never been heard from since. Even an internet search only brings up a female actress by that name.

This are the only references to Corbett that I found.

FOOTBALL DYNASTY ON THE MARCH | Maclean's | SEPTEMBER 8, 1980

Toronto Sun Family: 1971 - 2021: October 2007

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know if or any other of us older types remember that then sports writer for the Sun Kaye Corbett went off on one of the Esks, in a column. I want to think it was Larry Highbaugh. The whole column was so childish that Corbett was fired and has never been heard from since. Even an internet search only brings up a female actress by that name.

I remember some of that. Some what I call cringeworthy comments. Yeah, Corbett was blasted, and your recollection I believe was correct. pretty sure it was Highbaugh, but possibly Holliman. But I remember some really unfortunate things stated about Highbaugh who was a class act, community guy, played our highschool teams in basketball, volleyball. That guy gave so much of himself to community, to a community that wasn't even his by birth. There were few athletes like him, so involved, so much wanting the world to be a better place.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I remember some of that. Some what I call cringeworthy comments. Yeah, Corbett was blasted, and your recollection I believe was correct. pretty sure it was Highbaugh, but possibly Holliman. But I remember some really unfortunate things stated about Highbaugh who was a class act, community guy, played our highschool teams in basketball, volleyball. That guy gave so much of himself to community, to a community that wasn't even his by birth. There were few athletes like him, so involved, so much wanting the world to be a better place.

To this day, I'm not sure what set it off. Corbett must've thought he could dig up something on Highbaugh and Larry (and the team) didn't give him any ammo. So Corbett threw a tantrum and was never heard from since. Maybe it was referenced in the Maclean's article or maybe that was from another incident.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To this day, I'm not sure what set it off. Corbett must've thought he could dig up something on Highbaugh and Larry (and the team) didn't give him any ammo. So Corbett threw a tantrum and was never heard from since. Maybe it was referenced in the Maclean's article or maybe that was from another incident.

Corbett was a weird guy. I don't recall him being from here either. Just that soon as The Edmonton Sun arrived Corbett was airlifted in I believe as the local sports beat writer. Actually most of those journalists were not from Edmonton from what I remember. Usually you would recognize names from other publications or writings, from radio, these guys were not local. My own take was Corbett didn't even like the Eskimos or Oilers.

I used to got to provincial archives when I wanted to go back to stuff like that. Now its harder for me to look at microfilm and whatever they archive on now. I understand they are digitizing collections but haven't got to all of it yet.

There are some portals though if you or others are interested in reading older paper archives. Most of these are just scanned and hard to read but I've found some interesting gems. Its fascinating reading papers from over 100yrs ago.

Reactions: oilers'72

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/kaye-corbett-77159466

Was it this guy?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Corbett was a weird guy. I don't recall him being from here either. Just that soon as The Edmonton Sun arrived Corbett was airlifted in I believe as the local sports beat writer. Actually most of those journalists were not from Edmonton from what I remember. Usually you would recognize names from other publications or writings, from radio, these guys were not local. My own take was Corbett didn't even like the Eskimos or Oilers.

I used to got to provincial archives when I wanted to go back to stuff like that. Now its harder for me to look at microfilm and whatever they archive on now. I understand they are digitizing collections but haven't got to all of it yet.

There are some portals though if you or others are interested in reading older paper archives. Most of these are just scanned and hard to read but I've found some interesting gems. Its fascinating reading papers from over 100yrs ago.

Yes. I'm quite familiar with Peel's Prairie Provinces, when I did the short-lived "100 years ago according to the Edmonton Bulletin" on C2E. I know there's other sites for other historic papers but I was more interested in Edmonton's history.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I find Tom Gazzola & Hernan Salas on TSN 1260 to be "must-listen" after tough Oilers losses. Tonight was no exception as the boys handled the vitriol very adeptly.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Is tsn 1260 the next radio channel to get shutdown? It seems so odd that most are doing podcasts lately.

I look at it as more opportunities and yes security if that day ever comes. Podcasts seems to be where things are heading.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
I look at it as more opportunities and yes security if that day ever comes. Podcasts seems to be where things are heading.

I wouldnt of thought much about it until Gregor did one, and how he has the producer from his show with him on the podcast got me thinking maybe things will be changing.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Is that more to do with Covid?

I can't see some of these arenas they are playing in being setup for camera crews and production crews.

Nothing really to do with Covid. Many of the other WHL teams have radio rights (Portland being the only other team with no radio home and that's been that way for 3 seasons).

Andrew Peard's only doing home games as he has no access to a studio to do away games professionally, IMO.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Is tsn 1260 the next radio channel to get shutdown? It seems so odd that most are doing podcasts lately.

If they were "next on the list" TSN would have already shut them down. It's not like they showed a lot of mercy elsewhere.

I think it's rather a case of just covering their bets - if the station does get shut down they have a podcast to fall back on. I tend to follow the Jets and when TSN 1290 shut down their main afternoon drive host has gone on to set up a daily sports podcast, but I haven't heard where many others have wound up.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If they were "next on the list" TSN would have already shut them down. It's not like they showed a lot of mercy elsewhere.

I think it's rather a case of just covering their bets - if the station does get shut down they have a podcast to fall back on. I tend to follow the Jets and when TSN 1290 shut down their main afternoon drive host has gone on to set up a daily sports podcast, but I haven't heard where many others have wound up.

Ya, I think these podcasts are likely about personal brand building, likely extra cash on the side if they procure sponsors, and a platform to mitigate job loss in a fragile modern media world. I assume the talking heads retain intellectual property rights to this value-add content but regardless it provides a parachute in event of corporate downsizing. Key is to maintain high quality content.

EDIT: It's also a crazy rich content universe and podcasts become an On Demand way to capture impressions/listeners who miss original broadcast. Great way to also filter out annoying hosts at times too. :)

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I gotta say though someone like Dustin Nielson has to be a figgin energizer bunny. Not only does he do a 3 hour radio show each morning, but he does Oil Stream 2x week, 2 Guys and a goalie 2x week, and Lock Shop 1x week. Plus a bunch of hits on other podcasts and radio shows.
He also stays up to watch the games to make sure he can actually talk about it the next day. Guy lives off naps.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I remember, I think it was either John Short or the Eski announcer who did colour for donkey years,(bryan hall) later said that Corbett was mad because he was trying to make money off the Esks at the time with Business ideas, but kept getting shotdown

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Not many of us in this forum that even know wth this is about but I do.

I think Bruce Buchanan pissed someone off one day as well.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
I gotta say though someone like Dustin Nielson has to be a figgin energizer bunny. Not only does he do a 3 hour radio show each morning, but he does Oil Stream 2x week, 2 Guys and a goalie 2x week, and Lock Shop 1x week. Plus a bunch of hits on other podcasts and radio shows.

And he posts on HFBoards in his free time...haha thanks for the support. It's not work if you love what you do, it does get busy though! Just to chime in on the conversation because I'm a 20 year HFBoarder myself, when the pandemic hit I lost my side gig at Oilers Nation and with CFL shutdown my play-by-play side gig dried up for now and I'm a guy who just keeps busy to deal with stress so I just created something on my own and it's gone pretty well. Never a bad idea to keep all of your options open and if you aren't generating content you'll get left behind.

Anyway....keep up the great discussion here folks, I love it...even the chirps lol

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
And he posts on HFBoards in his free time...haha thanks for the support. It's not work if you love what you do, it does get busy though! Just to chime in on the conversation because I'm a 20 year HFBoarder myself, when the pandemic hit I lost my side gig at Oilers Nation and with CFL shutdown my play-by-play side gig dried up for now and I'm a guy who just keeps busy to deal with stress so I just created something on my own and it's gone pretty well. Never a bad idea to keep all of your options open and if you aren't generating content you'll get left behind.

Anyway....keep up the great discussion here folks, I love it...even the chirps lol

I really enjoyed those daily 10 minute video blogs you did on Oilersnation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad