News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 6

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Would be a good question to ask Tippett.

It sure would.

I think it's pretty clear the coach has significant trust in Smith with the extensive history together. But personally, while I think the public message is equal confidence in either tender, I kinda think Holland and Tippett have concluded they can't win or become a legitimate playoff contender with Koskinen. The hard, aggressive free agency push for Markstrom this summer was an obvious tell. Unfortunately in pandemic world season there's highly likely no white knight goaltender coming in so manage their 2B goalies hopefully well enough to coax a playoff appearance. Publicly state confidence in the current netminding and hope against the wheels falling off.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Derek van Diest questioning Drai’s character on Twitter is the absolute grossest thing I’ve ever read. Absolute joke. I hope Drai refuses to answer any of that clowns questions ever again.[/QUOTE

He has been on the Oilers best for 20 year and hasnt broke a damn thing. I think his mom was the editor or something.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I must have missed that. What I've heard today is Rishaug questioning Tippett's handling of his two goalie system and how despite talk of the equity of playing both that the reality is Smith gets more leash from the coach. Rishaug cited the situations in which Smith has been kept in after getting pumped for goals to 'battle' through it while the coach simply pulls Koskinen when his game goes pear shape. If anything, Rishaug is questioning a perceived double standard with the coach's practice of goalie handling.
Hey, hey. This doesnt fit the narrative. Stop it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Here’s the tweet. f***in clown.

Edit: I have to add, I am actually irrationally upset about this. Who the f*** does DVD think he is to impugn the reigning Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay winners character?! The f***ing audacity of that disgusts me. Critique his play, sure, but to go after his character? That’s disgusting. He should have to formally apologize to Draisaitl. I’m embarrassed for him. Who the hell does he think he is??

Terry Jones used to carve Glenn Anderson the same way. If they didn't get the answer they wanted they would pout like petulant children wearing a "how dare you" frown..

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The guy owned up to it and the whole line of questioning was pretty poor from the get go. Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers.

These guys are such babies when they don't get what they want. Like a pissed off player is going to take that kind of crap from Joe Schlub on his couch.

The trouble is this is Tychkowski and far from the first time he has attempted to carve Leon. Tych was also furious at the Drai contract and took the regular position that it was massive overpay, Drai would never earn the contract, and that the most he would go was 7M. I mean it hurts to be wrong all day every year. The biggest mystery is why anybody still thinks these guys should have media credentials or credibility.

Theres a certain amount of being wrong at which a person, especially a professional, should just STFU and hand in their credentials and find something else to do. I mean thisn't a guy being wrong on a Yama, or a Benson, or a Strome. Its being wrong on Draisaitl. idiot.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Here’s the tweet. f***in clown.

Edit: I have to add, I am actually irrationally upset about this. Who the f*** does DVD think he is to impugn the reigning Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay winners character?! The f***ing audacity of that disgusts me. Critique his play, sure, but to go after his character? That’s disgusting. He should have to formally apologize to Draisaitl. I’m embarrassed for him. Who the hell does he think he is??

Imagine questioning Leons character. Here is the player that exceeded expectations as much as any player in the league and became a star player and even generational player through hard work and dry land off season training that would kill most people (people should look at what he does, its insane the training he does)

Some nothing guy munching popcorn questions his character. What has Van Diest done in his life?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Is it just me or does it seem like ever since Voracek went off on this reporter, the players are a tad more saucy with reporters? Hopefully Drai gives him some Voracek-ittude next time there's a post game.

The Oilers org won't allow this kind of thing, which is unfortunate. They expect the pad non controversial answers everytime. I like the edge within the flyers. Say it how it is.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Derek van Diest questioning Drai’s character on Twitter is the absolute grossest thing I’ve ever read. Absolute joke. I hope Drai refuses to answer any of that clowns questions ever again.

I can't stand DVD. He's such a little whiner that can't keep his politics to himself either.

The final straw for me was when he was crowing on about how golf shouldn't be allowed during COVID because it's for "elites." Just a dumbass all around.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Is it just me or does it seem like ever since Voracek went off on this reporter, the players are a tad more saucy with reporters? Hopefully Drai gives him some Voracek-ittude next time there's a post game.

Voracek and his buddy are laughing. This is how you team build. Bet you that other Flyers player (whoever it is - Konecny) thinks Voracek is awesome. Would bet $50 that Konecny does not question Voracek's leadership.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Voracek and his buddy are laughing. This is how you team build. Bet you that other Flyers player (whoever it is) thinks Voracek is awesome. Would bet $50 that the teammate does not question Voracek's leadership.

Konecny (sp) has the best reaction ever. Looked like he either a) almost gagged on the big slug of water he was swallowing or b) was going to spit it all out. His double take was hilarious :laugh:.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I hate the media generally. That said, nothing would make me happier than to have the Oilers players become more adversarial with the media. The management may not like it, but what a way to create cohesion in the dressing room.

I get the impression that Connor would like to rip a few media a new asshole or two.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hate the media generally. That said, nothing would make me happier than to have the Oilers players become more adversarial with the media. The management may not like it, but what a way to create cohesion in the dressing room.

I get the impression that Connor would like to rip a few media a new asshole or two.

In his last presser he basically stated I'd like to say a few things, but yeah, this is what you're gonna get. I lol

Its a joy that McDrai are not just great players, they are articulate and intelligent and they say a lot without even spelling it all out.

These are not Ryan Smyth Shawn Horcoff level dull interviews. Not inferring either was not sharp, but they were not articulate.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The trouble is this is Tychkowski and far from the first time he has attempted to carve Leon. Tych was also furious at the Drai contract and took the regular position that it was massive overpay, Drai would never earn the contract, and that the most he would go was 7M. I mean it hurts to be wrong all day every year. The biggest mystery is why anybody still thinks these guys should have media credentials or credibility.

Theres a certain amount of being wrong at which a person, especially a professional, should just STFU and hand in their credentials and find something else to do. I mean thisn't a guy being wrong on a Yama, or a Benson, or a Strome. Its being wrong on Draisaitl. idiot.
What a bunch of bullshit. He asked Drai a softball. Drai acted like a child & so Tych acted like of a prick back. And Drai responded how he did.And Tych acknoledged what he did.
Jesus, you guys are apologists for players . Even going so far a to create a narrative as to why certain media don't stroke players.
How bout this. Drai played like absolute shit in the series. If a journalist was actually doing their job, the question would be "Drai, you are playing like shit. As a key member of the team, whats going on, cause you arnt paid 8.5 for what occurred out there?".
Imagine the meltdown that the fans of the player would have. But it would be a fair question.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What a bunch of bullshit. He asked Drai a softball. Drai acted like a child & so Tych acted like of a prick back. And Drai responded how he did.And Tych acknoledged what he did.
Jesus, you guys are apologists for players . Even going so far a to create a narrative as to why certain media don't stroke players.
How bout this. Drai played like absolute shit in the series. If a journalist was actually doing their job, the question would be "Drai, you are playing like shit. As a key member of the team, whats going on, cause you arnt paid 8.5 for what occurred out there?".
Imagine the meltdown that the fans of the player would have. But it would be a fair question.

"What's going on" is already a better question than "how does it feel." Both are shitty, lazy questions though. Ask smarter questions, and if you can't ask smart questions, then hit the road. No one gives a flying damn how bad Draisaitl feels about playing bad.

As an aside, I get a kick out of Van Diest calling Tychowski's question a "hard ball"--as if the hardness of the ball is proportional to the stupidity of the question.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Boo to this post.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
"What's going on" is already a better question than "how does it feel." Both are shitty, lazy questions though. Ask smarter questions, and if you can't ask smart questions, then hit the road. No one gives a flying damn how bad Draisaitl feels about playing bad.

As an aside, I get a kick out of Van Diest calling Tychowski's question a "hard ball"--as if the hardness of the ball is proportional to the stupidity of the question.
Point remains. The pom pom waivers get pissed when the players arent coddled by the media.
Whats going on is not a lazy question. It would be a fair question for a guy playing like shit.Especially over 3 important games. But god forbid you ask a player why they are playing like shit.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Point remains. The pom pom waivers get pissed when the players arent coddled by the media.
Whats going on is not a lazy question. It would be a fair question for a guy playing like shit.Especially over 3 important games. But god forbid you ask a player why they are playing like shit.

media can ask whatever they want as long as the players get to respond however they want

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Ok Daryls Nose.

You have an opinion of one. Congrats.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Ok Daryls Nose.

You have an opinion of one. Congrats.
Wow. Thats just so cutting.
A fan website whining about a medias question to a player. After said player was shit for 3 big games. Color me shocked.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
media can ask whatever they want as long as the players get to respond however they want
100%. Cant disagree with that. But I dont think there is an actual rule is there?
Ok if media acts like a petulant child afterwards too though? Free pass for that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow. Thats just so cutting.
A fan website whining about a medias question to a player. After said player was shit for 3 big games. Color me shocked.

Not whining about anything. What basis is there for Von Diest to question Leons "Character" on the basis of one presser response? I'm waiting and listening..

I'm hardly an apologist, anybody here would know that, but its absolutely inane criticism.

The reporter could say it was rude, caustic, whatever he wants. But to question a person character on that flimsy basis is off.

I mean this is the reporters profession and he's saying that kind of irresponsible dirt. I wouldn't be in the habit of conducting myself in that way in professional employ.

In anycase Drai is playing injured. its nice that you call that "playing like shit" but whatever. He's had the least GA on the whole club and even half a Drai is better than most of the crap in this lineup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100%. Cant disagree with that. But I dont think there is an actual rule is there?
Ok if media acts like a petulant child afterwards too though? Free pass for that?

Tychkowski is the same reporter that went out on a limb years ago stating that the Drai contract was one of the worst overpays in the league and that he's overpaid by about 1.5-2M and will NEVER earn his pay. The same idiot shut up his piehole for awhile when Drai was MVP last season. Amazingly even in Drais 50 goal season Tych was slamming Leon any chance he got.

You think Leon wouldn't know or remember any of that? I'd love it if the players here were allowed to call a spade a spade. One person in the exchange should be fired. it isn't Leon.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Oilers org won't allow this kind of thing, which is unfortunate. They expect the pad non controversial answers everytime. I like the edge within the flyers. Say it how it is.

I almost thought Drai was going to say something like Voracek...but it wasn't Spec asking. If it was, I wonder if there'd have been some fireworks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad