News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He lost it on Brownlee last week. I just don't listen when he's talking ***** with local reporters anymore.

I often turn him off. He loses it on Brownlee because I get the sense he acts like he owns him in terms of on-air time because Brownlee isn't in the "biz" anymore.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Well he not listening to a lot of his guests is a huge problem, too busy dicking around while he's interviewing them.

Gregor has gotten to the point where he's been a certain amount successful and mildly influential, that it's sort of gone to his head, which is why he acts so self assured, despite actual people who Actually know things being on this show as guests or co-hosts.

Precisely. He had Gerry Fleming on yesterday and after Fleming had already made the point that the Condors felt fortunate not to have any 3 games in 3 days stretches, Gregor asked if they had any 3 games in the 3 day stretches...

Doesn't even listen, waits for his turn to spout off.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Precisely. He had Gerry Fleming on yesterday and after Fleming had already made the point that the Condors felt fortunate not to have any 3 games in 3 days stretches, Gregor asked if they had any 3 games in the 3 day stretches...

He has always done this. He has a list of questions for his guests, he then seemingly totally ignores what the guests are saying because very often a guest will make a point and then gregor will ask him the exact same thing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has always done this. He has a list of questions for his guests, he then seemingly totally ignores what the guests are saying because very often a guest will make a point and then gregor will ask him the exact same thing.

He's a lot better with non-edmonton market guys. That might just be so that he can throw it back into Edmonton fans faces though when a guy from another market backs up his opinion though.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Gregor is pretty insufferable when he thinks he knows something and he's trying to get an informed guest to say it to support him. Like a few weeks back he was talking to one of his fitness guests and he was trying to get them to say that running was a bad exercise and cycling was bettter but all they would say is that unless you are training for a marathon 10 hours a weeks is plenty for running and cycling is less strenuous so you can do more but there was still a limit.

He does have valid opinions a lot of times and even if they're not sometimes it's interesting to hear him fight for it. I've never felt Brownlee added anything to sports reporting in Edmonton, either in the paper or on air but that's just me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think it's more he doesn't adapt or change his scheduled questions regardless of what comes up in conversation.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey

100% this.

He has a script of questions and never goes off-script. It's a poor habit and makes him one of the worst interviewers in Edmonton sports radio history.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't mind Gregor, but I'm the type of person who doesn't dislike someone when they have a different point of view.
I dislike the college football, and NBA talk :cry:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Gregor went at it with rishaug a little the other day because rishaug said the oilers may have sent down Leon due to cap bonus issues and gregor was being such a dick about it. He was like "no rishaug. You're wrong. We just chad Chiarelli on the show"

Sometimes I can't stand gregor, guy has no business treating guests the way he does especially when he is just a radio host and nothing more

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gregor went at it with rishaug a little the other day because rishaug said the oilers may have sent down Leon due to cap bonus issues and gregor was being such a dick about it. He was like "no rishaug. You're wrong. We just chad Chiarelli on the show"

Sometimes I can't stand gregor, guy has no business treating guests the way he does especially when he is just a radio host and nothing more

Gregor is usually the first to point out that you can't always take a coach/gm's word when it comes to a business decision.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Gregor thinks he knows it all when mact signed niktin last year I called In criticizing it saying it was too much for a 6 ,7 type defense but he went off on me saying it didn't matter how much he made because I wasn't paying his salary

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Gregor thinks he knows it all when mact signed niktin last year I called In criticizing it saying it was too much for a 6 ,7 type defense but he went off on me saying it didn't matter how much he made because I wasn't paying his salary

if he agreed with everything, there would be no show. If you called in just to have him rub your belly, thats your fault.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I guess, but that's not really the point being made. It's just strange that Jason's so self assured not based on as much knowledge as he thinks he has.
I hear him agree with a lot of callers and guests. People always recall controversy and want to make a big deal out of it. If he was as big of a dick as people like to make him out to be; he wouldn't have repeat guests and out of a job. Period

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I hear him agree with a lot of callers and guests. People always recall controversy and want to make a big deal out of it. If he was as big of a dick as people like to make him out to be; he wouldn't have repeat guests and out of a job. Period

You're right, just look at Jim Rome.

And you're right, most of his calls are just people giving him "a belly rub" about how right he is on subjects.

Jason does great things in the community, but on-air he can really make it a tough listen and he's very firm on people he's decided are wrong.

Ogopogo*

Gregor is an ass. On my commute home, I find myself listening to a lot more music because the crap Gregor spews is often not worth listening to. It is pretty funny how often he doesn't even listen to the answers of the guys he interviews. He will ask a question, do something else while the guy answers then ask a question that was already covered with what the guy just talked about.

Nielson is annoying as well with his Blue Jay crap. This is Edmonton, not Toronto, why the hell is he pumping a Toronto team? What's next a Nazem Kadri goal song?

Oct 15, 2008
Gregor is an ass. On my commute home, I find myself listening to a lot more music because the crap Gregor spews is often not worth listening to. It is pretty funny how often he doesn't even listen to the answers of the guys he interviews. He will ask a question, do something else while the guy answers then ask a question that was already covered with what the guy just talked about.

Nielson is annoying as well with his Blue Jay crap. This is Edmonton, not Toronto, why the hell is he pumping a Toronto team? What's next a Nazem Kadri goal song?

Didnt you used to play for the Leafs?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I'm going to give Tencer's podcast a shot. I don't mind Nielsen and the morning hosts, but I find they can get pretty stale and quite boring. I don't mind Stauffer tbh, I don't think he's that bad but I can see why people would not like him.

I really miss Strudwick. He was my favorite.

Last edited:

Punter

Jan 29, 2006
I often turn him off. He loses it on Brownlee because I get the sense he acts like he owns him in terms of on-air time because Brownlee isn't in the "biz" anymore.

I lose it on Brownlee (not that it matters, alone in my car). The guy is only stating the obvious most of the time. His droning on and on is nothing but time filler. The ask a question, answer it myself, then throw it to you routine is awful. I just turn off the radio now when he comes on.

Brownlee seems like a good person and all that but he is bad at radio.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Love it or hate it, the Jays are Canada's team. They're in the playoffs for the first time in 22 years. It's kind of big deal.

I think you are in the minority when it comes to hating the Blue Jays talk.

Ogopogo*

Love it or hate it, the Jays are Canada's team. They're in the playoffs for the first time in 22 years. It's kind of big deal.

I think you are in the minority when it comes to hating the Blue Jays talk.

The Blue Jays are Toronto's team. People out west get fed propaganda all their lives by TSN and Sportsnet and don't even question the brainwashing. I'd rather make my own choices.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I lose it on Brownlee (not that it matters, alone in my car). The guy is only stating the obvious most of the time. His droning on and on is nothing but time filler. The ask a question, answer it myself, then throw it to you routine is awful. I just turn off the radio now when he comes on.

Brownlee seems like a good person and all that but he is bad at radio.

He's bad at Radio because he seems to only exist to be an echo chamber for how "right" Gregor is.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The Blue Jays are Toronto's team. People out west get fed propaganda all their lives by TSN and Sportsnet and don't even question the brainwashing. I'd rather make my own choices.

Wow. People are brain washed into being Jays fans? Get over yourself.

Ogopogo*

Wow. People are brain washed into being Jays fans? Get over yourself.

Blue Jay games are a 4 hour flight away. Do you know how many other MLB teams can be reached by a 4 hour flight or less? Probably 18 or 20. Why arbitrarily pick the Toronto team? Because your TV tells you to - they are on it all the time. Cut the cable and the Blue Jays get no more coverage than the Houston Astros. I cut my cable and now get to choose who I watch play - I love the freedom.

If you cheer for them because they are "Canada's Team" then you must also be cheering on the Flames and Canucks in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Oilers don't make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad