News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
It seems like people complain about every host. I've heard lots of people hate Tencer, but I think he's fine. He has his own style and you know it's him when you're listening.

I'd actually say that I've enjoyed almost every Sports Radio guy this city has ever had... with the exception of Bryan Hall (shudders). He was nearly unlistenable near the end of his drive time show. He's not still around, is he?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Andrew Gross on 630 is pretty awesome to listen to. Been listening to his show for a while now.

But it isn't hockey or sports related.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
lol Tencer is the definition of small time.
He was talking about Neilson, not Tencer.

And I think you're only partly right about Tencer anyway. Say what you want, but he knows how to run a polished show. And he was doing it at an age most live call in hosts were still working at McDonalds. I think he certainly has the smarts and the talent to host a major show.

Tencer's problem is not that he's "small time", its his attitude. Things probably fell into his lap a little too fast and he started getting self important. I also feel he put in less effort as the years went by.

I guess we'll see. I still think Tencer has a future in broadcasting. Although given the tone of many of the comments, it may not be in Edmonton.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Although Dustin Nielson frustrates me at times, mostly with his habit of over-repeating comedic bits on the morning show, I'm starting to appreciate how much of an asset he is to TSN 1260. His fine work on the FIBA women's basketball telecasts and on the Eskimos' pre and postgame shows demonstrate how good this guy can be- and with little of the bitter aftertaste generated by the perceived arrogance of the Gregors or Tencers of this world.

royboi

Nov 24, 2014
Tencer's problem is not that he's "small time", its his attitude...I still think Tencer has a future in broadcasting. Although given the tone of many of the comments, it may not be in Edmonton.

Tencer's problem is a lack of maturity AND attitude. That open letter to Vancouver fans was just so cringe-worthy. I was so embarrassed for him.

I think he has a future in broadcasting, so long as he grows up a little. He'll have to learn from past mistakes, and that'll involve being open to feedback he's received from listeners. How ironic.

royboi

Nov 24, 2014
I like Gregor, but I hate Gregor. I respect his knowledge, commitment, skill, drive, fundraising. But his arrogance drives me nuts.

He has his moments where he's like the teenager who knows it all; no one can reason with him or explain anything because he's just not willing to listen. He knows better and that's the end of the discussion. He's fanatical in his defense of his own opinions.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty funny that most people here who are complaining about the radio hosts don't understand that the radio host's trade isn't supposed to be a reflection of their personal views.

Radio and talk shows are about discussions, not about someone who you think will just regurgitate popular opinions 24/7. The ******** about our sports coverage is pretty funny, considering we pretty much get it all day every day whether it be Esks or Oilers even in the offesason. We're quite well fed.

If you're pissed about it start a blog, we'd love to hear what you have to say.

Edit: Actually we hear what most of everyone has to say when they call in sounding like incoherent knuckle draggers. I dont blame Gregor, or any other host in this market in getting frustrated with the quality of callers or opinions.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Pretty funny that most people here who are complaining about the radio hosts don't understand that the radio host's trade isn't supposed to be a reflection of their personal views.

Except that in the vast number of cases it appears that it is a reflection of their pe4rsonal views rather than an objective analysis of a situation.

Radio and talk shows are about discussions, not about someone who you think will just regurgitate popular opinions 24/7. The ******** about our sports coverage is pretty funny, considering we pretty much get it all day every day whether it be Esks or Oilers even in the offesason. We're quite well fed.

Eh? There is very rarely objective discussions, what normally happens is that a caller calls in the host tell him he has no idea what he is talking about and then after the caller hangs up we get some pithy last word rebuttal by the hosts. We do get tons of coverage, no issue with the amount of coverage we get but the 'discussion' part is baloney.

If you're pissed about it start a blog, we'd love to hear what you have to say.

That is the thing, you have to 'start a blog' so that you can put forth points and not have them belittled during a call or when you are off the air.

Edit: Actually we hear what most of everyone has to say when they call in sounding like incoherent knuckle draggers. I dont blame Gregor, or any other host in this market in getting frustrated with the quality of callers or opinions.

There are a ton of knuckle dragger opinions, no question about it. These people will get treated very differently by the host(s) depending on whether they agree or disagree with the hosts pet opinion.

For most of these hosts, not all but many the big problem is credibility and being unaccountable for their opinions or stances over a number of years.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
It's funny reading these, you have the ability to listen to something/someone else. Majeau is painful (imo) on my ears, so I change the station, him filling in for Gregor is awful and you start to appreciate the regulars. And that CFL referee thing gregor does with bud steen makes my brain hurt. So I change the station for 20 mins until that garbage is over.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah Majeau's voice does not lend well to radio. I like the kid a lot, but just not as a host at all.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton

For most of these hosts, not all but many the big problem is credibility and being unaccountable for their opinions or stances over a number of years.

Fair enough, I figure that's pretty much a part of the ego that goes along with being a radio host. We can always hope for better though.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Credibility? Accountability? Objective analysis?

Whatever. I listen to an all-sports station because I like to listen to engaging hosts talk about sports. Engaging doesn't always mean likable or sharing my views or only discussing the sports & teams I care most about. And it rarely means objective. When I choose who I will or won't listen to I'm certainly not being objective. Over the years people like John Short, Rod Phillips, Bob Stauffer, Jim Rome and Jason Gregor have been ones I've personally found to be engaging. Guys like Bryan Hall, Ron Rimer, Kyle Chase, Steven A. Smith and Dan Tencer? Not so much.

I'm sure there's people out there who would have different or even completely opposite choices to mine. Luckily those people aren't around to interfere when I'm trying to listen.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Whatever. I listen to an all-sports station because I like to listen to engaging hosts talk about sports. Engaging doesn't always mean likable or sharing my views or only discussing the sports & teams I care most about. And it rarely means objective. When I choose who I will or won't listen to I'm certainly not being objective. Over the years people like John Short, Rod Phillips, Bob Stauffer, Jim Rome and Jason Gregor have been ones I've personally found to be engaging. Guys like Bryan Hall, Ron Rimer, Kyle Chase, Steven A. Smith and Dan Tencer? Not so much.

I'm sure there's people out there who would have different or even completely opposite choices to mine. Luckily those people aren't around to interfere when I'm trying to listen.

Agree. They say what they want (much like myself and most likely yourself as well), and you can nod your head in agreement, do the Lucifer horns fingers salute... :yo:...or you can rant endlessly at the radio at the idiot that is saying something that you disagree with.....:rant:

It is how it should be IMO. Very engaging indeed.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
did anyone hear Corey Graham whining and complaining about people wanting to talk Oilers in August? It pissed me off, this is his job, sports radio, most people would love to have a job like that. And in this market, the Oilers are king, all year long, simple as that. Majority rules. Then he has the balls to basically say people pathetic for wanting to talk Oilers in the summer. That is why this guy will never be a good talk show host, sure maybe he prefers being a play by play man, but it's still a dumb move to bite the hand that feeds. Even though, I think he has a great job, most people don't love every second of their jobs either, but keep their mouths shut. I think he should think before he speaks, it's not like he's on the air for 8 or 12 hours a day. It's 4 hours at most, suck it up princess.

People can say all they want about Bob Stauffer, that he sold out, or that he's a repetitive. But the guy loves Oilers, he loves hockey, and he loves talking hockey, all year long. Even though I think Bob was better before he went to Ched, every single Oiler fan here would of done the same thing, he was given a chance to be the colour guy on radio for the team he has loved since he was a kid. To travel with the team, to be close to the players and coaches and management. Ummm, how many people would trade jobs with him right now? that's right, a ton of us.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
did anyone hear Corey Graham whining and complaining about people wanting to talk Oilers in August? It pissed me off, this is his job, sports radio, most people would love to have a job like that. And in this market, the Oilers are king, all year long, simple as that. Majority rules. Then he has the balls to basically say people pathetic for wanting to talk Oilers in the summer. That is why this guy will never be a good talk show host, sure maybe he prefers being a play by play man, but it's still a dumb move to bite the hand that feeds. Even though, I think he has a great job, most people don't love every second of their jobs either, but keep their mouths shut. I think he should think before he speaks, it's not like he's on the air for 8 or 12 hours a day. It's 4 hours at most, suck it up princess.

People can say all they want about Bob Stauffer, that he sold out, or that he's a repetitive. But the guy loves Oilers, he loves hockey, and he loves talking hockey, all year long. Even though I think Bob was better before he went to Ched, every single Oiler fan here would of done the same thing, he was given a chance to be the colour guy on radio for the team he has loved since he was a kid. To travel with the team, to be close to the players and coaches and management. Ummm, how many people would trade jobs with him right now? that's right, a ton of us.

I agree completely.

You don't want to talk hockey. Fine I don't have to listen.
And I'm definitely not going to listen to a radio host try and tell me what I should be interested in.

I'm an Oiler fan and after that a very casual sports fan.

That's why I listen to Oilers now and the Pipeline show. It's hockey talk.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
See I completely agree with CG, and Jameson as well. I do not consider it whining. I consider the public a bunch of morons with small brains who need to branch out. You don't like it, don't listen. Those guys are just calling it as they see it. It's August 28th, get over yourselves. God forbid they talk about something, anything different. It's a small vocal minority that always whines. Less than a month from now it will be completely dominated by Oilers sports talk.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I have no problem at all with a thing you have just said.

As long as the people, or others do not try in the least, at all, try to portray themselves as anything else.

In addition in your world accountability may mean nothing but it sure means something in my world. If you are totally wrong on important issues and never take account for being wrong after the fact how should I view your opinions now?

If I want to be 'entertained' by a host I'll listen to someone at least skillful at it. Talk radio in general and in Edmonton for sure seems to be chock full of guys who try to entertain and fail badly, usually often at the cost of real facts and reporting.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Ironic that the reason ched moved tencer out from sports was because he related to the public to much and agreed with us and the oil didn't likenit and he's hated for doing what all of us want in a radio guy...correct me if I'm wrong but it was him saying during a post game that if fans don't like the product do go and pay the price of admission that got him in hot water...

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I have no problem at all with a thing you have just said.

As long as the people, or others do not try in the least, at all, try to portray themselves as anything else.

In addition in your world accountability may mean nothing but it sure means something in my world. If you are totally wrong on important issues and never take account for being wrong after the fact how should I view your opinions now?

If I want to be 'entertained' by a host I'll listen to someone at least skillful at it. Talk radio in general and in Edmonton for sure seems to be chock full of guys who try to entertain and fail badly, usually often at the cost of real facts and reporting.

Accountability is actually extremely important to me in most aspects of my world. As a long-time talk radio junkie I've found that (in time) it's something that usually takes care of itself. Those who are consistently wrong on important issues and never take account for it eventually get weeded out by losing (in order): credibility, listeners, advertising sponsors, their job.

Being entertaining can help somewhat but is not always foremost when it comes to being what I regard as engaging. Knowing how to talk in a way that draws me in as a listener is what the hosts I named above plus non-sports guys like Howard Stern & Bill Matheson have/had going for them. A combination of common sense, intelligence, passion, humour and being at least generally aligned with my moral stand on most issues takes care of the rest.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Ironic that the reason ched moved tencer out from sports was because he related to the public to much and agreed with us and the oil didn't likenit and he's hated for doing what all of us want in a radio guy...correct me if I'm wrong but it was him saying during a post game that if fans don't like the product do go and pay the price of admission that got him in hot water...

Is there evidence to any of this being true?

I thought he had to go because he took a job with the Saskatoon Blades, which is an obvious conflict of interest for a station that's involved with the Oil Kings?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know people dislike gregor and I at times can't handle him, but my god do I miss him. There is just no energy when I tune into 1260 during his time slot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That could be the time of year too, not much happening right now.

Yes and no. I can watch ****ing paint dry if a guy like Chris Cuthbert is explaining it. You just need to have some emotion in your voice. You'd think guys that are filling in trying to get their names out there would have some energy.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
See I completely agree with CG, and Jameson as well. I do not consider it whining. I consider the public a bunch of morons with small brains who need to branch out. You don't like it, don't listen. Those guys are just calling it as they see it. It's August 28th, get over yourselves. God forbid they talk about something, anything different. It's a small vocal minority that always whines. Less than a month from now it will be completely dominated by Oilers sports talk.

I disagree. The majority wants Oilers talk, not U of A volleyball or Soccer. CG is complaining that all people want to talk about is the Oilers. So be it, majority rules.Just because people love the oilers, doesn't mean we have small brains, thanks for that by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad