News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
did anyone hear Corey Graham whining and complaining about people wanting to talk Oilers in August? It pissed me off, this is his job, sports radio, most people would love to have a job like that. And in this market, the Oilers are king, all year long, simple as that. Majority rules. Then he has the balls to basically say people pathetic for wanting to talk Oilers in the summer. That is why this guy will never be a good talk show host, sure maybe he prefers being a play by play man, but it's still a dumb move to bite the hand that feeds. Even though, I think he has a great job, most people don't love every second of their jobs either, but keep their mouths shut. I think he should think before he speaks, it's not like he's on the air for 8 or 12 hours a day. It's 4 hours at most, suck it up princess.

People can say all they want about Bob Stauffer, that he sold out, or that he's a repetitive. But the guy loves Oilers, he loves hockey, and he loves talking hockey, all year long. Even though I think Bob was better before he went to Ched, every single Oiler fan here would of done the same thing, he was given a chance to be the colour guy on radio for the team he has loved since he was a kid. To travel with the team, to be close to the players and coaches and management. Ummm, how many people would trade jobs with him right now? that's right, a ton of us.

This, 10000%. I don't care about anything else except hockey and lately, 1260 has been really pissing me off with their garbage programming. At the very least, Bob Stuaffer is always talking oilers no matter what day it is, and that's why I've listened to his show all summer. HE is super pumped about the season starting and I feed off of that.

I feel lowtide has been the absolute worst this summer about talking everything but oilers. Everytime I tune into his show he introduces the fact that it will be a "football intensive show" and so I turn it off right away.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They have a show called 'Oilers Now' that is an ALL year show what the hell more do you guys want? Most of the other shows should talk about other sports.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They have a show called 'Oilers Now' that is an ALL year show what the hell more do you guys want? Most of the other shows should talk about other sports.

I assume this summer is worse then most, McDavid, new Front Office, actual excitement and positivity, so it's likely driving more Oilers talk around this time of the year then we would normally see, imo.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I love that many radio shows are talking things other than the Oilers. There are only so many hours discussions about possible line combos, training schedules, PP units, dman pairings, etc that one can take.

There will be plenty of time during the season devoted to Oilers talk. Nice to get a bit of a break from it in the summer.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
I love that many radio shows are talking things other than the Oilers. There are only so many hours discussions about possible line combos, training schedules, PP units, dman pairings, etc that one can take.

There will be plenty of time during the season devoted to Oilers talk. Nice to get a bit of a break from it in the summer.

amen, wish there was more non oiler talk in the summer, talking about line combos, dman pairings etc gets boring when there are no games on the horizon. |Its why i usually tune out of 1260 and ched during july , and august.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
amen, wish there was more non oiler talk in the summer, talking about line combos, dman pairings etc gets boring when there are no games on the horizon. |Its why i usually tune out of 1260 and ched during july , and august.

Come on man, ched has very valuable information on what kind pots to use for your outdoor plants

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I saw Struds for the first time on TV the other day. The guy needs some wardrobe advice.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I saw Struds for the first time on TV the other day. The guy needs some wardrobe advice.

After letting himself get involved in the almost unwatchable nightly amateur hour that is Dinner Television, it's clear that Strudwick could use some career advice as well.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Would be nice to have more out of town guests from other teams on Oilers Now. There's only so much to talk about with this team and would be interesting to hear these discussions about other teams.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Would be nice to have more out of town guests from other teams on Oilers Now. There's only so much to talk about with this team and would be interesting to hear these discussions about other teams.

You've just nailed why I spend more than 95% of my local sports talk listening time to TSN 1260 instead of the Oilers' broadcast rightsholders.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You've just nailed why I spend more than 95% of my local sports talk listening time to TSN 1260 instead of the Oilers' broadcast rightsholders.

Bob talks to people from other organizations all the time during the course of the season.

The way you say things sometimes... like "Oilers broadcast rightsholders", which is some **** people are trained to say on radio instead of marketing "630 CHED".

Suspicious.

Last edited:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
The way you say things sometimes... like "Oilers broadcast rightsholders", which is some **** like people are trained to say on radio instead of marketing "630 CHED".

Suspicious.

I don't work for TSN 1260 but I've always preferred its sports coverage to 630's. CHED being the Eskimos/Oilers rightsholders is the only thing that draws me to listen to that station at all.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Bob talks to people from other organizations all the time during the course of the season.

The way you say things sometimes... like "Oilers broadcast rightsholders", which is some **** like people are trained to say on radio instead of marketing "630 CHED".

Suspicious.

Suspicious indeed.

Guy Flaming

For those starving for hockey talk, albeit not Oilers, The Pipeline Show is 100% hockey 100% of the time, twice a week, 12-months a year.

On Saturday we previewed two more WHL clubs (more than halfway done now), spoke with a scout from HP about OHL guys for the 2016 NHL Draft, chatted with local product and Blue Jackets prospect Pete Quenneville and also spoke with the top ranked player for the 2016 draft from his new home in Switzerland; Auston Matthews.

LINK

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Suspicious indeed.

im-batman.jpg

KlaireMcVoyant

Nov 20, 2014
YEG
Weird! Got ESPN on my computer where TSN 1260 is supposed to be, while Lowetide is on my phone (Tune In Radio!). How does that happen?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I can't stream it anymore. I go directly to their site, the commercial plays but it won't stream. Radiosure app won't play it either.
No issues with 630 CHED

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well I've come to the conclusion that Gregor is actually great and will not blow a fuse when a co-host/guest suggests something he doesn't like. The key is it has to be a ex-NHLer.

If any other person suggested that give the C as a rotating to see what the players do with it then Gregor would've lost it and said "the letter shouldn't change a player". With Kassian he kinda took a step back.

Then again maybe he's afraid of insulting a guy that could really kick the **** out of him in 10 seconds.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well I've come to the conclusion that Gregor is actually great and will not blow a fuse when a co-host/guest suggests something he doesn't like. The key is it has to be a ex-NHLer.

If any other person suggested that give the C as a rotating to see what the players do with it then Gregor would've lost it and said "the letter shouldn't change a player". With Kassian he kinda took a step back.

Then again maybe he's afraid of insulting a guy that could really kick the **** out of him in 10 seconds.

Well he not listening to a lot of his guests is a huge problem, too busy dicking around while he's interviewing them.

Gregor has gotten to the point where he's been a certain amount successful and mildly influential, that it's sort of gone to his head, which is why he acts so self assured, despite actual people who Actually know things being on this show as guests or co-hosts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well he not listening to a lot of his guests is a huge problem, too busy dicking around while he's interviewing them.

Gregor has gotten to the point where he's been a certain amount successful and mildly influential, that it's sort of gone to his head, which is why he acts so self assured, despite actual people who Actually know things being on this show as guests or co-hosts.

He lost it on Brownlee last week. I just don't listen when he's talking ***** with local reporters anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->