Edmonton Oilers roster had they not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart trade

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
People despised Eberle before he was traded and said he was terrible now and bla bla bla... now that he is playing awesome cause of his and Barzals chemistry, people wanna rub that situation in Oils face cause that duo coulda easily been on the Oils... give it up!!!

woulda/coulda is ridiculous... we could go through all teams and come up with those types of scenerios

Last edited:
Reactions: Dempsey

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Meh they had to make the moves. Cap issues are a main reason for that. Also Larsson helped them a lot last year so I think the Oilers are fine with their moves.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Oilers weren't going to draft Barzal. Eriksson Ek is the player they liked at #16.

Is this board ever going to move on?

Because they likely didnt expect Barzal to be available at 16. Then Don Sweeney had a brain hemorrage at the Draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People despised Eberle before he was traded and said he was terrible now and bla bla bla... now that he is playing awesome cause of his and Barzals chemistry, people wanna rub that situation in Oils face cause that duo coulda easily been on the Oils... give it up!!!

woulda/coulda is ridiculous... we could go through all teams and come up with those types of scenerios

Well..those people that wanted Eberle traded were probabky hoping for a much better return than Ryan Strome.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Then they could have selected Chabot, or several other high quality young players that would be of help right now.
The thing is.. every re draft I see has guys like Chabot taken earlier.. we are Monday morning quarterbacking and that means all teams before the oilers also can rethink what they did that day

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I think the best defense is a good offense. That lineup would posses the puck most of the game and the depth would be just too much too handle for any team over 7 games...

Bottom line, ChiaPet done f***ED UP!

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I ain't getting fooled by that forward depth. Half of those guys gave up on most games anyway.
Oilers always had a "HIGH OCTANE" forward group on paper and did f*** all with it during the last decade.

Won't defend the Reinhart trade, but no idea who we would have drafted.

topcheezy

Sep 3, 2017
considering how far barzal plummeted in the draft, it's hard to say he wasn't the oilers guy. he only wasn't their guy when he wasn't expected to be there. they could have easily drafted him

also, they apparently wanted sergachev at 4 before puljujarvi fell. if they didn't trade their forwards and '15 pick, i think it's very possible they would have drafted sergachev with or without moving down a few spots

their team would have been amazing with just those few simple moves/non-moves

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Eberle was a cap trade, also based on his poor playoff performance. It had to be done.

As a NHL fan, I am happy he is flourishing on the Island playing with a stud playmaker like Barzal.

Most know my feelings on Barzal. A lot of teams missed on him. I know I thought he was a sure fire top 10 pick that draft, and had him top 5 myself.

Barzal will make teams continue to regret passing on him I surmise for the next 10 years, but it is not only Edmonton. He is producing better than all the players picked before him with the lone exception of McDavid this year.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The last 3 years in Oilers trade history is easily up there for worst spells of horrible transaction activity ever. And this isn't even meant as a diss, but it's something to behold.

Out:

Devan Dubnyk
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
David Perron
Jeff Petry
Justin Schultz
Taylor Hall
Nail Yakupov
Jordan Eberle

In:

Matt Hendricks
Rob Klinkhammer (no longer in NHL)
Griffin Reinhart (no longer in NHL)
Cam Talbot
Adam Larsson
Zach Pochiro (no longer in NHL)
Ryan Strome
a couple of nothingburger draft picks

You are implying that people were willing to give a lot for the "Out" group after how they finished bottom 5 in the league again and again and again...

giphy.gif

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'll just summarize all this so we can move on:

- Chiarelli is terrible.
- The Oilers have been run by a bunch of arrogant buffoons for over a decade.
- Yet they're the luckiest franchise in the league.
- They can't defend and refuse to improve that area.
- McDavid is not a guaranteed Cup even though many think generational player = AutoCupz.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
Some evaluate Hall for Larsson in a vacuum (1 for 1 trade).

Some evaluate Hall for Larsson with a static roster (addressing team need on D, maybe including Lucic signing, all else constant).

The real evaluation should be Hall for Larsson with a dynamic roster (other trades).

We are now able to make this assessment. The continual loss of value per trade equates to an aggregate loss of team value, resulting in our current record.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Who cares if they wouldn't have taken Barzal? There's a ton of other players they could've taken that are infinitely better than Griffin Reinhart. Horrible asset management.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
well we may as well keep with this ridiculous Monday mornin' quarterbackin' and throw in why they wouldn't have just drafted Tkachuk instead of Puljujarvi and then not sign Lucic to his MASSIVE contract 7 days later

I guess teams just need to invest in time machines... I honestly think that could help big time:sarcasm:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The last 3 years in Oilers trade history is easily up there for worst spells of horrible transaction activity ever. And this isn't even meant as a diss, but it's something to behold.

Out:

Devan Dubnyk
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
David Perron
Jeff Petry
Justin Schultz
Taylor Hall
Nail Yakupov
Jordan Eberle

In:

Matt Hendricks
Rob Klinkhammer (no longer in NHL)
Griffin Reinhart (no longer in NHL)
Cam Talbot
Adam Larsson
Zach Pochiro (no longer in NHL)
Ryan Strome
a couple of nothingburger draft picks

All those guys that were sent out were the core that lead to multiple 1st overall picks. You're surprised the Oilers got very little for them?

Out of that entire list, Hall, Petry and Perron were the only guys that had any value when they left the Oilers.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
If they drafted Tkachuk they could still have moved Hall for Larsson. They really should be a contending team right now if not for poor management

Thats hard to blame them for. Poolparty was the consensus #3 and dropped to them. Don't forget that there was a legit debate between Laine and Jessie earlier that year on who would go 2nd.

I wanted poolparty over Tkachuk too. Luckily Tkachuk dropped to us and we got him. LOL vancouver.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Had the Oilers not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart/Barzal trades this is what i believe there lineup would currently look like

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Hall Barzal Eberle
Cammalleri RNH Puljujarvi
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Nurse
Sekera Russell
Benning Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

Obviously a hole on the blueline with Larsson missing but i don't know how any team would be able to match up against those forward lines.
What team do you think is better?
Their current one or the one posted above?

There are two big issues with this lineup.

First and foremost, that defense core is wrong for the first half of this season. Sekera is out, so our defense core would be:
Klefbom - Benning
Nurse - Gryba
Russell - Avuitu/Stanton

And that's horrible. Almost as bad as what we iced in the worst of our dead years, even with Nurse's emergence this year. Gryba on the 2nd pair and Benning on the top would kill us.

Second, Eberle wanted out. If we hadn't traded him he would still be here, fans would still be up his butt, and it would be awful for everyone. He was one of those guys that pretty much had to be moved.

So basically, yes, we got hosed on a Griffin Reinhart trade that means we don't have Matt Barzal (assuming we would have drafted him at all, which isn't a guarantee).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Thats hard to blame them for. Poolparty was the consensus #3 and dropped to them. Don't forget that there was a legit debate between Laine and Jessie earlier that year on who would go 2nd.

I wanted poolparty over Tkachuk too. Luckily Tkachuk dropped to us and we got him. LOL vancouver.
yeah I admit that one is definitely more hindsight based than the other ones. Although Columbus passed on him so maybe some teams were aware of the question marks around him and might have picked Tkachuk over him too

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers haven't been able to improve their Dcore in over a decade. How sad is that.

Those forward lines are deadly but how the **** do you struggle for a decade to improve your one glaring flaw?
What are you talking about?

Kelfbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Gryba

VS

Whitney (with one leg) - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
N. Schulty - Correy Potter/Theo Peckham

OR

Whitney (two legged but hurt most of the year) - Petry
Smid - T. Gilbert
Strudwick - K. Foster

The only season you could suggest that we had a defense core close to this one was 08/09 when Souray had his huge season and Visnovsky was lighting it up while healthy, but even then we had Strudwick on the ice for 70+ games, and as much as I rag on Gryba, he is only in the lineup because Sekera is hurt. Strudwick was legitimately our 5/6 defenseman. Gross.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The Oilers were never going to draft Barzal, and I don’t know where this recent Eriksson-Ek rumour is coming from. They were taking Svechnikov or Samsonov. Neither of which is helping us right now. We were going to sign Demers if the Hall/Larsson trade didn’t go down. We’d also have to have kept Jokinen, because losing Strome and taking away Jokinen would take use down to only 4 centermen. Plus, Sekera would still be hurt, so our lineup would be

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Caggiula - Letestu - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Jokinen - Kassian

Klefbom - Demers
Nurse - Russell
Auvitu - Benning

Instead of the current

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nugent-Hopkins - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Strome - Caggiula
Cammalleri - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Auvitu - Benning

Our 2nd line gains some extra offense, but we take a hit down the middle, and on the top pairing. We also have less capspace, are much less physical, and have worse leadership.

I get that the Reinhart trade was horrible, but let’s be realistic. It hasn’t hurt us yet. If you want to critique the Oilers, add us to the list of scouting staffs who underrated Barzal

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
What are you talking about?

Kelfbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Gryba

VS

Whitney (with one leg) - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
N. Schulty - Correy Potter/Theo Peckham

OR

Whitney (two legged but hurt most of the year) - Petry
Smid - T. Gilbert
Strudwick - K. Foster

The only season you could suggest that we had a defense core close to this one was 08/09 when Souray had his huge season and Visnovsky was lighting it up while healthy, but even then we had Strudwick on the ice for 70+ games, and as much as I rag on Gryba, he is only in the lineup because Sekera is hurt. Strudwick was legitimately our 5/6 defenseman. Gross.
Why bother wasting your time replying to people who have 1/1000th of any knowledge on our roster changes lol No point in educating those that only post in spite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad