Edmonton Oilers roster had they not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart trade

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The Oilers weren't going to draft Barzal. Eriksson Ek is the player they liked at #16.

Is this board ever going to move on?
Before the Eberle trade it was "Eberle sucks, not worth anything"
After the Eberle trade it is "Chiarelli is an idiot for trading Eberle"

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
People need to stop acting like they traded Barzal. There is no guarantee they even select him. 16 other teams passed on his too.

Trading 2 firsts for Reinhart is still laughable, but what a team does with a pick has no barring on the actual trade.
Good thing no one traded 2 firsts for Reinhart

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Schultz is Pittsburgh looks like the rookie version of Schultz. I don’t even understand how Eakins even has a job on an AHL team.
Seriously, Schultz put up like 48 points in 34 AHL games before putting up 27 points in 48 NHL games

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Had the Oilers not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart/Barzal trades this is what i believe there lineup would currently look like

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Hall Barzal Eberle
Cammalleri RNH Puljujarvi
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Nurse
Sekera Russell
Benning Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

Obviously a hole on the blueline with Larsson missing but i don't know how any team would be able to match up against those forward lines.
What team do you think is better?
Their current one or the one posted above?

Remember how good their top 9 looked on paper coming into 13/14?

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Gordon - Hemsky

Considering the years that group had in 12/13 that was a pretty solid looking group on paper.

But when you've got no defense it doesn't really matter.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Gordon - Hemsky

Considering the years that group had in 12/13 that was a pretty solid looking group on paper.

That 13/14 team isn't even remotely close to the one that they could have potentially of had this year. And the Pens won the cup with Schultz and Hainsey as there top 2 D last year so thats debatable.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Shoulda just drafted matthew tkachuk over pulj... and traded down and took a dmen in 2012 then theyd be golden

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lmao chia is a legend !!!

Imagine if they had draftrd Boeser instead of trading for Reinhart !!

Mcdavid to Boeser for 10 yrs seems unfair !

Thank you Chia you da man !

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
You should probably subtract McDavid from the line up since they wouldn't be able to afford him.
I mean they wouldn't have Lucics 6 mil anchor and McDavid is still on his ELC so yeah they would unless they were to trade him for a mid range defenceman?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
These types of threads bother me. Time doesn't work that way, there are too many uncertainties. Can't assume the time line would have stayed the same. We don't know if they would have drafted Barzal, we don''t know how well they would have done in the 2016 eason with Hall, probably wouldn't have gotten the #3 pick with Pujujarvi. Cammalleri trade probably wouldn't have happened, etc. etc. etc.
Well they would still have Puljujarvi since he was drafted before Hall was traded...

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Gordon - Hemsky

Exactly. What good is having McDavid if he can't exit his own zone?

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean they wouldn't have Lucics 6 mil anchor and McDavid is still on his ELC so yeah they would unless they were to trade him for a mid range defenceman?
It's easy to underrated what Lucic brings to the team. I watched the Oilers try to win without players who have "been there." It didn't go well. I'd never make the argument that the Lucic contract is good, but he's not a useless player. He brings more than just toughness to the team.

And the toughness shouldn't be underrated either. Again, I watch the Oilers try to win with nothing but skill and then they'd insert a big guy or two to carry the physicality load. It doesn't work that way. Lucic does more good than bad. It's just too bad he isn't on a 4X4 contract.

It's interesting how for years the Oilers were criticized for being too small, too young and too weak on defense. Now they're being criticized from learning from those mistakes. Hall would be the Oilers 3rd best forward. Maybe they lost that trade in a vacuum but they got their best Dman out of it. Lucic is overpaid but he helps change the look of the team. When you have McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH, it's okay to sacrifice a Hall for a Larsson and Lucic.

And Eberle sucked. He might be bouncing back on the Islanders but it wasn't happening here. I wish him well but I don't miss the version we had one bit.

Reactions: sepHF

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's easy to underrated what Lucic brings to the team. I watched the Oilers try to win without players who have "been there." It didn't go well. I'd never make the argument that the Lucic contract is good, but he's not a useless player. He brings more than just toughness to the team.

And the toughness shouldn't be underrated either. Again, I watch the Oilers try to win with nothing but skill and then they'd insert a big guy or two to carry the physicality load. It doesn't work that way. Lucic does more good than bad. It's just too bad he isn't on a 4X4 contract.

It's interesting how for years the Oilers were criticized for being too small, too young and too weak on defense. Now they're being criticized from learning from those mistakes. Hall would be the Oilers 3rd best forward. Maybe they lost that trade in a vacuum but they got their best Dman out of it. Lucic is overpaid but he helps change the look of the team. When you have McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH, it's okay to sacrifice a Hall for a Larsson and Lucic.

And Eberle sucked. He might be bouncing back on the Islanders but it wasn't happening here. I wish him well but I don't miss the version we had one bit.
lucic was easily the most disappointing player for the oilers last post season... 6 million for toughness is pretty high. A series vs a team like anaheim is the exact reason you got lucic... he didnt live up to the price tag or hype.

Larsson for hall is fine tho... you guys needed dmen bad at that time.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not like they would have traded for Cammalleri with all those guys there and so on.

It is fair to say Chiarelli has lost a lot of value in trading the last few years, but everyone already knows this.

Eberle and Schultz needed to be moved. I don't know if they waited too long or not enough so the value wasn't great, but it wasn't working out for them in Edmonton.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t miss Hall one bit. I do miss Eberle a bit but I don’t think he would be doing as well for the Oilers as he is for the Islanders.
Barzal would have been a sweet pick up, but do the Oilers actually draft Barzal there? Hindsight is 20/20

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
lucic was easily the most disappointing player for the oilers last post season... 6 million for toughness is pretty high. A series vs a team like anaheim is the exact reason you got lucic... he didnt live up to the price tag or hype.

Larsson for hall is fine tho... you guys needed dmen bad at that time.
No argument here. However, he was great down the stretch and was a big part of the Oilers having home ice advantage in the 1st round. Consistency is an issue but it wasn't all bad.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don’t miss Hall one bit. I do miss Eberle a bit but I don’t think he would be doing as well for the Oilers as he is for the Islanders.
This is correct. I don't know many Oilers' fans who would want to un-do the Hall/Larsson trade. Whether it was his fault or not, Hall was clearly part of the 'locker-room' problem in the Oilers' losing culture c.2010-2016, and Larsson is awesome.

Good grief, I hate to think of what the Oilers' defence would have been like this season without Sekera and Larsson! It's basically an AHL defence, with less poise.

Eberle was losing his scoring touch and basically played himself off the team in last spring's playoffs, when he was horror-awful. Having said that, I also miss him a bit because he was good at getting pucks on net. McLellan said this, too, and if you read between the lines I think Todd was not that happy about the Eberle trade. Unfortunately, the Oilers now have no players who can shoot the puck from a distance, which isn't a good way to score goals and win games.

Reactions: ToddsBod

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
The last 3 years in Oilers trade history is easily up there for worst spells of horrible transaction activity ever. And this isn't even meant as a diss, but it's something to behold.

Out:

Devan Dubnyk
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
David Perron
Jeff Petry
Justin Schultz
Taylor Hall
Nail Yakupov
Jordan Eberle

In:

Matt Hendricks
Rob Klinkhammer (no longer in NHL)
Griffin Reinhart (no longer in NHL)
Cam Talbot
Adam Larsson
Zach Pochiro (no longer in NHL)
Ryan Strome
a couple of nothingburger draft picks

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
The only genuinely bad trade was Reinhart for a 1st and a 2nd. Hall for Larsson was not a bad trade and clearly made the Oilers a better team. Steep price to pay, yes, but the Oilers needed a top RHD and Larsson is going to be one of the best defensive Dmen in the NHL for awhile. Eberle making 6 million had no place on this team, and even if Strome is mediocre, he really doesn't bring a whole lot less than Eberle did last year before you even factor in the cap savings (when you add in Strome has a bit of versatility, the more it looks like a trade which was far short of a disaster).

That's not to say there aren't issues with the makeup of the Oilers team (the Lucic deal is an issue and Klefbom's shockingly bad play coupled with Sekera's injury have really hurt the defence this year), but the Hall and Eberle deals are not what will cause this team problems either in the near or distant future.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The last 3 years in Oilers trade history is easily up there for worst spells of horrible transaction activity ever. And this isn't even meant as a diss, but it's something to behold.

Out:

Devan Dubnyk
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
David Perron
Jeff Petry
Justin Schultz
Taylor Hall
Nail Yakupov
Jordan Eberle

In:

Matt Hendricks
Rob Klinkhammer (no longer in NHL)
Griffin Reinhart (no longer in NHL)
Cam Talbot
Adam Larsson
Zach Pochiro (no longer in NHL)
Ryan Strome
a couple of nothingburger draft picks
Gotta add Purcell, 1st round pick in Reinhart trade, and Maroon too.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Okay. Here is our defence without the Hall trade, and with Sekera out of the lineup.

Nurse- Klefbom

Russell - Benning

Gryba - Auvitu

Nurse has played his way into the top pairing this season. Has looked like a stud, and still appears to have a lot of room for growth offensively. Nasty player, solid on the back end. Many of us want him to get a look on the PP.

Klefbom has had major struggles this season. I suspect a nagging shoulder, knee, ankle or some sort of injury that has lead to a mental weakness. Not the same confidence as last year.

Russell and Benning are both soldiers, take a beating, and keep coming back for more. Ideal third pairing, but not top 4 material at the moment.

Gryba and Auvitu are both #6 defenceman. No anchor in the bottom pairing. Gryba is waaayyy too slow for today's game, Auvitu shows promise, but occasionally makes head scratching decisions.

Sekera adds alot to that core, and Larsson makes it, in my opinion, a defence core that could rank between #7-#12th in the league, especially if Nurse continues to excel.

At the end of the day, this team is built around McDavid and Drai now. It's really too bad that Hall and Eberle spent most of their time here with literally nothing to support them... but that ship has sailed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad