Edmonton Oilers roster had they not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart trade

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The Oilers haven't been able to improve their Dcore in over a decade. How sad is that.

Those forward lines are deadly but how the **** do you struggle for a decade to improve your one glaring flaw?

It's actually unbelievable with all the high draft picks they've received in the past 10 years that they haven't been able to get some decent defensemen or a solid overall team. That team above is far better than the one they have now, and could've been even better than the one above with solid management.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
In a re draft he would be taken top 5. Where are threads bashing the ten other teams who passed on him.

Oilers had Nuge. Mcdavid. Leon D at center already. People are posting like barzal is the third coming of Christ and the oilers are the only team that passed on him

At least the Bruins have something to show for those picks. DeBrusk is looking like a player.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
OP should rename the thread to

"If there was no cap and the only thing that mattered was putting a team together on paper, look at how great this team would be! Imma be right back, I need to **** off to it"

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Had the Oilers not made the Hall, Eberle and Reinhart/Barzal trades this is what i believe there lineup would currently look like

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Hall Barzal Eberle
Cammalleri RNH Puljujarvi
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

Klefbom Nurse
Sekera Russell
Benning Gryba

Talbot
Brossoit

Obviously a hole on the blueline with Larsson missing but i don't know how any team would be able to match up against those forward lines.
What team do you think is better?
Their current one or the one posted above?

Switch Puljujarvi with Sergachev. Blue line improves

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The other benefit to keeping Taylor Hall is there is now way Draisaitl gets 8.5 with Hall at 6.0

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
lucic was easily the most disappointing player for the oilers last post season... 6 million for toughness is pretty high. A series vs a team like anaheim is the exact reason you got lucic... he didnt live up to the price tag or hype.

Not even close man, Jordan Eberle says hello

Reactions: Getz2perry

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Ya but i feel like eberle was destined to do bad in that series... lucic was brought in basically to help against teams like la and ana

I thought Lucic did fine. He had one less point than McDavid in the Anaheim series and set up and very important goal and scored to help us get to OT in game 5 or 6 can't remember

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You call out Chia for handing out bloated contracts while complimenting Tambo (who gave Ebs and RNH 6m contracts directly out of their ELCs) and Lowe (who overpaid basically every player from the 06 cup run) including Horcoff which was considered one of the worst contracts in the league.

I don't get it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Edmonton was kind of backed into a corner with Hall and Eberle. They were going and everyone knew it. I don't know that they could have gotten a significantly better haul, but maybe they could have. It certainly pales in comparison into what Colorado got for Duchene. The Reinhart trade was terrible though, and it was from the moment that Edmonton made it. Pure idiocy, regardless of whether Barzal would have been the pick.

They were backed into a corner because of dumb management decisions.

Look at how well Yzerman handled Drouin. Everyone knew Drouin wouldn’t be a Bolt for long but Yzerman refused to trade while in a position of weakness. He waited it out and got stop tiger asset in return for him. It’s what Chia SHOULD have done instead of making these bad impulse trades.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unfortunately this team would still mostly be picking pucks out of their own net.

They built a losing culture, had an unwillingness to trade players, until making a lopsided one for one of their stars. I think acquiring McDavid was a God send, but honestly; they did nothing to insulate him.

In another world, they get Hall and RNH, moved the Yakupov pick for some defensive help, gave veteran UFA players with winning pedigree some contracts; and not backed yourself into a corner giving out big contracts to kids who hadn’t proved anything.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
It's amazing how Eberle was overpaid hot crap while he was an Oiler and now that he is not, and is still having an under performing year, he is part of the greatest top six. Hall is a talented winger but he is a minus player on a plus team.

It's kind of fun reading the mains.

9G 8A in 23 games and just getting comfortable is an underperforming 2nd line player??

Yes, it is funny to read the mains.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Barzal is a franchise center and, if anything, he could have easily 5-6 more points if his chances went in games 1-5. Edmonton is a dumpster fire. Dont talk down barzal to prove otherwise.
[mod] You must have a very loose definition of franchise centre though, lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad