Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If they're bringing a healthy Kurashev with them, I'd love to see him in over Highmore.

yup, a healthy Kurashev is boatloads better than highmore.

not only in skill as a hockey player but Kurashev is like a Swiss army knife, no pun intended. Guy can play at C or Wing on any of the top three lines effectively IMO

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Ok. WTF is Toews thinking? He just posted pics of his vacation to Arizona on Insta. So while Kane is doing voluntary practice with the young Hawks, Toews is vacationing in the state with some of the worst COVID rates. And this is after multiple photos of him posing with his arm around fans maskless.

Captain Irresponsible.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Ok. WTF is Toews thinking? He just posted pics of his vacation to Arizona on Insta. So while Kane is doing voluntary practice with the young Hawks, Toews is vacationing in the state with some of the worst COVID rates. And this is after multiple photos of him posing with his arm around fans maskless.

Captain Irresponsible.
Toews has never been a rinkrat like Kane, nor is he a cyborg like Keith.

That being said, it's not like he isn't training. He just isn't posting pictures of that. The man is still in the offseason which means he's going to be spending some time with the wife, enjoying himself. I see no problem with that. He can't be working out 24 hours a day. In addition, we don't even have proper dates for the return. Once we close in, the captain will be getting a lot more serious again.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Toews has never been a rinkrat like Kane, nor is he a cyborg like Keith.

That being said, it's not like he isn't training. He just isn't posting pictures of that. The man is still in the offseason which means he's going to be spending some time with the wife. I see no problem with that. He can't be working out 24 hours a day. In addition, we don't even have proper dates for the return. Once we close in, the captain will be getting a lot more serious again.

Ok whatever on the training. But who is travelling for fun during a pandemic? To a state with rising COVID cases. And what about photos with his arm around fans with no mask? You can't justify it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Ok whatever on the training. But who is travelling for fun during a pandemic? To a state with rising COVID cases. And what about photos with his arm around fans with no mask? You can't justify it.
What's wrong with travelling within the Country? Most just want to see something else after MONTHS of only seeing your home. As long as it's allowed by Government I don't see the Problem with it.

About the Pictures: As Long as we don't know the whole Story behind it I'd say Toews knows what he is doing and wouldn't post stupid Pictures that would be a public Topic.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's got partying to do with Auston Matthews :laugh:

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Its mental games. McDavid doesn’t wanna take draws against a guy with corona!

Also what are the chances the nhl comes up with some covid helmet? Are they gunna make everyone wear full plastic cages?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
It looked like he was hiking mountains with friends. I live out west and I’ve been doing a lot of hiking during this. I generally don’t come within 100 yards of other people. Not only is it a great way to get away from people but it’s an underrated work out in itself. Great leg work out. I don’t get the pushback to him hiking in the middle of no where just because the state has a high infection rate in areas where there are lots of people. For all we know from the pictures he hasn’t seen another soul outside his friends. If he did it responsibly there’s nothing wrong with it imo. Being on the moutains is actually safer than being in a hockey rink right now as far as catching the virus goes.

honestly a hiking trip with a couple buddies sounds like a terrific idea.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
yup, a healthy Kurashev is boatloads better than highmore.

not only in skill as a hockey player but Kurashev is like a Swiss army knife, no pun intended. Guy can play at C or Wing on any of the top three lines effectively IMO
JC may disagree. He obviously likes Highmore's game without the puck. I haven't seen enough of Kurashev to say one way or the other if he can be as effective playing bottom 6 hockey at the NHL level.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
It looked like he was hiking mountains with friends. I live out west and I’ve been doing a lot of hiking during this. I generally don’t come within 100 yards of other people. Not only is it a great way to get away from people but it’s an underrated work out in itself. Great leg work out. I don’t get the pushback to him hiking in the middle of no where just because the state has a high infection rate in areas where there are lots of people. For all we know from the pictures he hasn’t seen another soul outside his friends. If he did it responsibly there’s nothing wrong with it imo. Being on the moutains is actually safer than being in a hockey rink right now as far as catching the virus goes.

honestly a hiking trip with a couple buddies sounds like a terrific idea.

I wouldn't have an issue if he was hiking around Winnipeg or Chicago or wherever he was living, but he had to fly to Arizona and is probably staying in some form of hotel. You can't say there isn't a risk to travel and airports. If it's necessary, I get it. But this isn't necessary.

In Ontario hotels are still closed and they just re-opened in other areas of the country and we have way lower COVID rates than Arizona.

Also, went back and looked up the photos with fans, one was at his car dealership and one was at a golf course, so clearly not a personal relationship. The car dealership girl even said she took her mask off to pose with Toews.

I think the guy is a great hockey player, but I genuinely believe that if we want the hockey season to resume, players can't be travelling for fun or socializing with fans or going to bars and restaurants.

New York state is talking about potentially banning out-of-state travel. Who knows if they will, but there is a reason for that conversation.

I think this may be a Canada-US where you guys are taking a lot less precautions with this stuff. But you've also had a lot more cases per capita and deaths.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I wouldn't have an issue if he was hiking around Winnipeg or Chicago or wherever he was living, but he had to fly to Arizona and is probably staying in some form of hotel. You can't say there isn't a risk to travel and airports. If it's necessary, I get it. But this isn't necessary.

In Ontario hotels are still closed and they just re-opened in other areas of the country and we have way lower COVID rates than Arizona.

Also, went back and looked up the photos with fans, one was at his car dealership and one was at a golf course, so clearly not a personal relationship. The car dealership girl even said she took her mask off to pose with Toews.

I think the guy is a great hockey player, but I genuinely believe that if we want the hockey season to resume, players can't be travelling for fun or socializing with fans or going to bars and restaurants.

New York state is talking about potentially banning out-of-state travel. Who knows if they will, but there is a reason for that conversation.

I think this may be a Canada-US where you guys are taking a lot less precautions with this stuff. But you've also had a lot more cases per capita and deaths.

Uh....

You can drive to Arizona from Chicago or Winnipeg... With Covid, lots and lots of people are doing roadtrips around the country, and even renting RVs in many instances. It's what I've debated doing with my family, just to get out of the house for a week.

He's rich. He's likely staying in a private Airbnb, or cottages/cabins of some sort. Hell, they could even be tent camping if they're hiking/backpacking in the mountains. I highly doubt he's staying in a hotel in Phoenix or some shit.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

You can drive and there’s plenty of secluded campsites. It’s not a Canada/US thing it all, it’s just ike I said, if he’s responsible about it there’s legitimately nothing wrong with it. The only reasons you can get upset with him about this are assumptions that YOURE making. You have no idea how he traveled or stayed based on those pictures. What he’s doing in those pictures is not an irresponsible activity right now.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
van wilder 2

“You f***ed up, you trusted us.”

Is that the reference to when he smashed he brothers car?

I still watch these movies and laugh my guts out. Excellent soundtrack to Animal House I must say.

Another dandy I can watch (with about 5 left handers in me) is Up in Smoke. Boys looking for smoke and the van was made of weed

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is that the reference to when he smashed he brothers car?

I still watch these movies and laugh my guts out. Excellent soundtrack to Animal House I must say.

Another dandy I can watch (with about 5 left handers in me) is Up in Smoke. Boys looking for smoke and the van was made of weed

All the Cheech and Chong movies are great, particularly as a long-time smoker of the ganja.

Reactions: Dividejoy

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah I've been traveling anyway. As long as you're still social distancing and spending most of your time outdoors I don't see what the huge issue is.

Reactions: Dividejoy

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The concerns about airports and airplanes are completely valid. If Toews flew commercial to Arizona, that's a pretty stupid thing to do. If you're driving to travel, have at it. But there's no way I'm getting on a plane or walking through an airport with this thing still raging across the country. f*** that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve been at a hotel since Tuesday. The hotel itself has done an amazing job.

The other guests here... not so much. I had 2 dickhead women barge into an elevator I was trying to exit who gave me no room to get out. And no they were not wearing masks despite the hotel saying they’re mandatory I think.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
All the Cheech and Chong movies are great, particularly as a long-time smoker of the ganja.

agreed 100%. A great friend of mine who passed away a few years ago had a great saying

WITH BOOZE YOU LOSE, WITH DOPE THERE'S HOPE.

He quit drinking for 30 years. He said he was a total idiot when he drank. When he puffed, he was great. Ganja is much easier on the system then booze

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad