Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Because I have to drive my jokes into the ground:

42x3ak.jpg

Win or lose, some segment of the fanbase loses.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Is Seabrook going to be ready play? If he is then Boqvist is getting booted from the lineup which would be laughable.

The one thing he’d be doing right is giving us a better chance at Lafreniere.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Is Seabrook going to be ready play? If he is then Boqvist is getting booted from the lineup which would be laughable.

The one thing he’d be doing right is giving us a better chance at Lafreniere.

Why is Boqvist getting booted from the lineup if Seabs can play?

Keith
Seabs
Murphy
Maatta
de Haan
......Boqvist

What am I missing?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Why is Boqvist getting booted from the lineup if Seabs can play?

Keith
Seabs
Murphy
Maatta
de Haan
......Boqvist

What am I missing?
I think they’ll play Koekkoek over him. I can’t justify it but I’m willing to bet the explanation will be something along the lines of grit.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
imagine playing mike smith and dave tippett in a random rd 1 rematch...if mike smith plays that could be interesting with a couple core guys still left from that 2012 series loss

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

has rocky said a word since he did the interview in like march that said no changes would be made?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The OY VEY scenario:

Hawks get luckyand as placeholder they win the #1 conditionally in the 1st pick lottery draw done before the play-in starts..

Hawks beat Edmonto to get into first round of playoffs ...this mot only removes the 1st pick in the draft from them but also removes them from the 2nd and 3rd pick lotteries ...so at best if Hawks lose the 1st found of the playoffs in the next series the best they can draft is 16th but if they keep winning and get to the Cup Final that would be 2nd lsdtvpick of roumdvonebor last inroundv1cif they wintge Cup.

So..do you want the Hawks to beat Edmonton or Lnowing you"placehokder spot"got luckyvand winner tge #1 temporarily,would you cheer for your Hawks to suurender to Edmonton...because ...you just know they are not going to win in the first advance to playoff round.

Is it worth losing that much just for the illusion given by just 1 series win to motley get into the real pkayoifvroundcand Bowie g out in that?

To me it is too high a risk to take.. I thereforecwoukd advise tanking.

The NHL made such a scenario mess by putting the 1st lottery before the play-in results were finished and the victor of each pjay -in known ..this it COUPD play out to such a scenario.

Of course the Hawks pkayers care not about retaining the #1 pick if the Hawks hot temporarily lucky.

But the fans thoughts? Those are sonethingvekse.

I do not mind the 24 team play-in and playoffs format...but I do not like the possibility a team knows it could keep the #1 if they lose the play-in series.

The NHL should have kept lottery #1 till AFTER the play-in losers are known...

Reactions: KWP

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
After watching Bettmans presser I had a few thoughts...
First of all I'm essatic about the Blackhawks making a playoff appearance...at the very least we get 3 games experience for our youngsters
Secondly, so since the season is now officially done I'm sad to see that one streak will be stopped...both Kaner and Tazer had scored at least 20 goals every season, Kane made it 13 straight...Toews finished with 18 in 70 games, even the shortened season had them both scoring 20+...Kane, Saad and Kubalik hit the 20+ this season
And lastly I just realized that with this new best of five playin and three game round robin for the top four in conference we theoretically could have a team finish with a record of 0-6 with system...example, say Dallas loses all three round robin games and then gets swept 3-0 in the playoff round...could happen, imagine that 0-6 in the playoffs!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
After watching Bettmans presser I had a few thoughts...
First of all I'm essatic about the Blackhawks making a playoff appearance...at the very least we get 3 games experience for our youngsters
Secondly, so since the season is now officially done I'm sad to see that one streak will be stopped...both Kaner and Tazer had scored at least 20 goals every season, Kane made it 13 straight...Toews finished with 18 in 70 games, even the shortened season had them both scoring 20+...Kane, Saad and Kubalik hit the 20+ this season
And lastly I just realized that with this new best of five playin and three game round robin for the top four in conference we theoretically could have a team finish with a record of 0-6 with system...example, say Dallas loses all three round robin games and then gets swept 3-0 in the playoff round...could happen, imagine that 0-6 in the playoffs!
They haven't decided if the 1st 2 real rounds (Rounds of 16 & 8) will be 5 or 7 yet. So a team could go 0-7.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Read that Oilers were - 16 in the reg season even strength vs the Hawks even. That's huge especially considering the whistles usually go away. I also think ES will translate more here early on until teams can get going with numerous games.

Other things like having the better goalie is a huge advantage. I think Hawks core would like a crack at Smith. Tippett is a great coach but does he have enough time to implement system. That's the Oils biggest adv at coach.

A lowkey ex factor will be the Cat. Considering this is an offseason worth of down time, teams and players who had extremely bad years should be excited for this new lease on life. I think the Cat is gonna get a few of those goals that weren't going in during this year. Water finds its level

Reactions: KWP and Muffinalt

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks historically have handled McDavid very well. Similar to Crosby, we are probably one of the very few teams he doesn't play well against.

Now Draisaitl on the other hand.... absolutely torches us.

Reactions: Muffinalt and KWP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad