Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If the Hawks want to win this series, is going to boil down to one thing, stay out of the penalty box.

The Oilers were heavily propped up by an insane powerplay. Looking at the advanced stats apart from that, there’s a lot to be desired. The Hawks have to find a way to counter the PP and they have a real chance at moving on.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
If the Hawks want to win this series, is going to boil down to one thing, stay out of the penalty box.

The Oilers were heavily propped up by an insane powerplay. Looking at the advanced stats apart from that, there’s a lot to be desired. The Hawks have to find a way to counter the PP and they have a real chance at moving on.

+infinity

Reactions: Pez68

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Another first in this, the most bizarre NHL season ever: Never have teams known months in advance which team they will face in the first round of PO's. As I've said previously, this is a great test for JC and the coaching staff to show they are a better coached team than what they appear. The team needs to be 100 percent prepared. The plan should include that every player and coach study videos extensively.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Just find it humorous that when we look back on this season, we're going to remember the 2019-2020 Hawks as a "playoff" team, although being last in the Central Division lol. Hope they can surprise us though.
It wont officially be the playoffs until they make it past EDM.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
A nice update on players returning from injury, etc.

Screenshot_20200612-233738_Trade Rumors.jpg

Reactions: Dividejoy and Cowch

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side

I agree, but I'll add that more importantly this team needs to refine and spend significant time reevaluating the pk.

Teams are going to take a ton of stupid penalties because they've been out of practice and are now suddenly in the playoffs. They're going to be aggressive and make bad decisions.

If you can jump ahead of the curve and focus on the pk heavily, you're gonna extinguish their pp that was on fire and build up momentum.

But yeah, ideally, minimal penalties but i think it's bound to happen considering the circumstances.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I agree, but I'll add that more importantly this team needs to refine and spend significant time reevaluating the pk.

Teams are going to take a ton of stupid penalties because they've been out of practice and are now suddenly in the playoffs. They're going to be aggressive and make bad decisions.

If you can jump ahead of the curve and focus on the pk heavily, you're gonna extinguish their pp that was on fire and build up momentum.

But yeah, ideally, minimal penalties but i think it's bound to happen considering the circumstances.

You know the Hawks had a top 10 PK unit this season, right?

And no PP is going to be on fire after 4 months off.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
You know the Hawks had a top 10 PK unit this season, right?

And no PP is going to be on fire after 4 months off.

I dunno man, i could see some PP units doing really well out of the gate because of chemistry and successful patterns/schemes. And remember, teams will be rusty and what better time to take advantage of that than on a man advantage?

Plus I think the PK and its success is much more momentum based and rely on seeing the nuances of plays to be able predict and stop a pass/shot. Hard to do that when you're out of practice.

And besides a good PK 3 months ago, it's not like they were stalwarts in our own zone throughout the year. I dnt think it would hurt to go into this weird revamp of a season with a defensive mindset and say "we're not going anywhere without shutting mfers down".

But that's just me. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: Crow

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks would do well to be in top condition to help eliminate dumb penalties brought on by being behind the play. Staying out of the box is key to beating a team like Edmonton.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Hawks would do well to be in top condition to help eliminate dumb penalties brought on by being behind the play. Staying out of the box is key to beating a team like Edmonton.

Staying out of the box is THE key. If we can do that, we'll advance.*

* - the usual caveats apply: CDH is ready, Crow is on and I could be wrong, lol

Last edited:

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Hoping that this break will act as a reset button for Cat. Needless to say, it would be huge if he got his mojo back.
For what its worth it looks like he was one of the first players back. Hopefully that translates to him putting the puck in the net.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The x factor here is coaching. Tippet has had the Hawks number before.

Colliton, who knows what to expect. He had a nice playoff run with Rockford before he got the promotion, but his NHL level stint thus far has sucked. This season and last, Chicago has lost critical or must-win type games down the stretch for the playoff push and I sure as hell hope that preparation and adjustments don't show up for an actual playoff series now where colliton had a month+ to prepare

Reactions: BobbyJet

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Colliton, who knows what to expect. He had a nice playoff run with Rockford before he got the promotion, but his NHL level stint thus far has sucked. This season and last, Chicago has lost critical or must-win type games down the stretch for the playoff push and I sure as hell hope that preparation and adjustments don't show up for an actual playoff series now where colliton had a month+ to prepare

Mebbe the team failed, rather than their coach's game plan. Difficult to assess percentages, but putting it on Colliton? I disagree. Do you think Q or another coach would've gotten last season's squad over the hump? Doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad