GDT: Edmonton Oilers @ NY Islanders | 5:30 PM MT | SN360

Is the answer 'Yes' to even one of my questions?

• Yes

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I agree the line combinations are a problem but let’s not pretend that these issues didn’t start before these line combinations were implemented.
Woodcroft has made a lot of mistakes this season. It’s like he lost his mind.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Point shots don't work when the point gets a shot through once every 100 tries.
Easier to get shots through when the opposing team has something to worry about in the slot.

Oilers are so adverse to battling for positioning in front of the net, opposing teams can just focus on blocking the outside shots.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I have a much bigger problem with coaching and management getting duped by a small sample size and assumed Kulak could play a 3-4 role.
Completely agree, and I'd add Barrie too. Kulak and Barrie make a lot of money for a bottom pairing, and can't consistently handle top 4 minutes. Having them locked up ensures that: (i) if we have young d on the roster, they HAVE to play top 4 minutes; and (ii) we can't afford to add an established top four defenceman. If you take the money we're paying those two and use it on a top four defenceman (or two if we look at a Ceci level defenceman), the roster looks a lot better.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yup, so he had Messier and others to be vocal. McDavid does too, apparently.

Gretzky the goat but Messier was the better captain (don’t tell Canucks fans that)
Different leadership styles can be effective. It's not just the vocal approach. I reckon good teams have a blend of rah rah screamers and the follow my work ethic and skills, let's get it done. Oil were fortunate to have strong veteran mentors, a superlative coach/gm who nurtured it, and Hall of Fame talent that brought it out in one another.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Easier to get shots through when the opposing team has something to worry about in the slot.

Oilers are so adverse to battling for positioning in front of the net, opposing teams can just focus on blocking the outside shots.
More bodies in front of the net would just be more legs for Oilers D to hit.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Woodcroft has made a lot of mistakes this season. It’s like he lost his mind.

He has made mistakes but this team is literally refusing to play even the system he implemented last season.

At some point it doesn’t matter who the coach is if this is the effort night in and night out.

And this effort has not just been limited to Woodcroft’s reign. This is a repeated issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad