Edmonton media lobbying hard for Keith Gretzky to become GM

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Nothing will change until all these 80's legends and brothers of 80's legends are dead.

And McDavid isn't going anywhere. The same day that McDavid does ask for a trade, KLowe, MacT, the Gretzkies, will visit him in person and bully Mcdavid into retracting his trade request. Then the Edmonton media will shame and guilt McDavid for turning his back on the organization and city.

Mcdavid is a lost cause, he will never win a Cup, just accept it and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Katz got his buddy Matheson to do some PR work I see.

Whether hes apart of the OBC or not, its a terrible look and I don't know how many times we gotta say it - this team is going NOWHERE until the Club is blown up.

Now on the flip side the Oilers are prevented from hiring a really really good GM because of the OBC. Nobody wants to have to answer to a bunch of guys who did nothing except win a couple cups for the team 30 years ago.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
lolno. The rare occasions when a reporter asks a moderately difficult question are when we get moments like this

Hey look, 6 years later and all of those clowns on stage are still employed.

You wouldn't want media that 2nd guesses the coach and management.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Four 1st overall picks and the team is a bottom feeder? I feel for Oiler fans (as an Islander fan I understand). Nothing short of a complete overhaul of ALL management is going to work...and I fear at this point the only way that happens is if McDavid leaves. Even then I could see them digging their heels in.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It's too bad for Kgretzky but he just can't be the next GM, regardless of his experience and qualifications. Shit will hit the proverbial fan if he gets named GM. Does it really matter though? The OBC has to be purged completely. If not, it doesn't matter who gets named GM.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Keith Gretzky doesn't seem like a bad candidate TBH. But questions of the OBC will always linger b/c of his name & brother.

If they legitimately feel he's the right guy for the job, it will be met terribly by the fanbase no matter what.

Its an incredibly difficult situation with McDavid's future hanging in the balance.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Keith Gretzky doesn't seem like a bad candidate TBH. But questions of the OBC will always linger b/c of his name & brother.

If they legitimately feel he's the right guy for the job, it will be met terribly by the fanbase no matter what.

Its an incredibly difficult situation with McDavid's future hanging in the balance.

The main logic against Gretzky is the Oilers always have this smug “we’re the smartest guys in the room” mindset and no amount of failure convinces them otherwise. Has anyone else with a GM opening ever asked to talk to Gretzky? No. Should we promote the man who was Chiarelli’s right hand for all the horrible deals he made? Hell no.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
lolno. The rare occasions when a reporter asks a moderately difficult question are when we get moments like this

Hey look, 6 years later and all of those clowns on stage are still employed.

This video is up there with the Seguin Trade "Behind the B" video in terms of embarrassment. Makes it even better that the last 4 years was like a hybrid of the two.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Katz ends up hiring Gretzky as the permanent GM. I don't think highly qualified people are falling over themselves to apply for the job. Everyone in the league knows what kind of baggage comes with the job.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Am I the only one who sees the thread title as incredibly deceiving? Thread title says "Edmonton Media Lobbying Hard for Keith Gretzky to Become GM," yet the only comment even slightly suggesting it is Stauffer claiming "he should merit some consideration."

How is that "lobbying hard?" He's basically saying he should get to interview for the job, which isn't wrong.

Matheson's comments are trying to separate KG from the OBC, but I don't see him outright saying he thinks Gretzky should be GM.

I just think it's ridiculous the conclusions people jump to on these boards. 15 posts deep and people are convinced it's a done deal.

Back to reality, I am excited that Pat Verbeek has surfaced as a candidate. I'm really hoping he ends up being the guy.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who's saying he's part of the Old Boys Club? I've actually never heard that at all.

What he is is someone who is a blood relative of one of the members and someone who has an in, which just follows the history of Oilers' nepotism.

For people who are also massively anti-Chiarelli, he's also his right hand man in both Edmonton and Boston, which is why I find it strange that people believe that there'd be some massive right turn from Peter Chiarelli's long term vision of the franchise should Gretzky assume the role.

I don't care who's GM. Fine with Gretzky if it means the guys who have survived the GM cull four times running are finally dismissed. But honestly not crossing my fingers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
does Edmonton have media that is actually critical of the organization?
Yes. For the most part a lot of guys are ripping the oilers

Problem here is stauffer works for the oilers and is always trying to spin things to look good

If he said nothing and Gretzky got hired people wouldn't be as mad. But now this moron makes it look like all along this is going to be he plan.

Peter Easton

Jan 31, 2019
The Oilers have missed on every pick from 2009 until McDavid. Every pick they made, they left on the board multiple other players who became better NHLers. Only 1 player outside of the 1st round ever cracked the big club. The team is a disaster, and even if they attempt to fix it, will get roasted by everyone for trying to throw out the dead weight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad