Edmonton media lobbying hard for Keith Gretzky to become GM

lawrence

May 19, 2012
if Keith Gretzky becomes the GM then Wayne will get involved. He's not part of the old boys club, but it can lead to him bringing his brother to some capacity which means the other old boys kick around.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Steve Yzerman will be available and they want Keith Gretzky? Mmmmmmmmmmm, ok...

giphy.gif

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The thing these guys don't understand is that someone can get his job because of nepotism and still be a perfectly good candidate. The problem is still the nepotism. When they only hire from an exclusive pool of people they already know, they are severely limiting their own possibilities.

Edmonton needs fresh, outsider, forward-thinking blood in the absolute worst way. To go with a candidate that has absolutely none of that (even if he may actually be an otherwise competent executive) is just setting that candidate up to fail.

They're going to hire K. Gretzky, it's going to fail, and no one is going to feel a lick of responsibility for it. If I were K. Gretzky and I wanted a long future in the NHL, I'd get the hell out of there and never look back.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Am I the only one who sees the thread title as incredibly deceiving? Thread title says "Edmonton Media Lobbying Hard for Keith Gretzky to Become GM," yet the only comment even slightly suggesting it is Stauffer claiming "he should merit some consideration."

How is that "lobbying hard?" He's basically saying he should get to interview for the job, which isn't wrong.

Matheson's comments are trying to separate KG from the OBC, but I don't see him outright saying he thinks Gretzky should be GM.

I just think it's ridiculous the conclusions people jump to on these boards. 15 posts deep and people are convinced it's a done deal.

Back to reality, I am excited that Pat Verbeek has surfaced as a candidate. I'm really hoping he ends up being the guy.
Don’t be in denial. You’ve got KGretz to look forward to!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The OBC and their shill media mouth pieces lobbying for nepotism?

Shocking.

Having said that, I actually like Keith Gretkzy’s drafting in recent drafts I’ll give him that but we need a full search and need a guy that can gut the front office. Keith ain’t that guy.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I seriously doubt KG is their guy right now. Not OBC but I think they want to show a new direction and if they can add a high profile outsider it will cool the torches and pitchforks if the club has another bad season (but building not trying to win and still sucking). When you look at Chia's baffling run of bad deals, does anyone think Gretzky would go down that path? When a group of rando hockey board members would have easily vetoed most of the bad choices, would Gretzky have done them? But going outside is safer than being accused of nepotism or trying to recycle what has already failed so he doesn't get a shot. Its the Edmonton sportscasters trying to stay positive and close to the incumbent AGM who also has a good shot at being the next AGM. Once the short list comes out they will shift to a new recommendation of course.

I want McCrimmon or Hunter but I would be happy with Futa. You can't predict who will make dumb moves but you can probably predict that nobody will follow the talent dilution path of PC. We will get that shiny new toy, just wait and see.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It’s not just Barzal though lol, it’s also Chabot/Connor/Boeser/Konecny.

Having any of three of the above would be an immense upgrade.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The Oilers have missed on every pick from 2009 until McDavid. Every pick they made, they left on the board multiple other players who became better NHLers. Only 1 player outside of the 1st round ever cracked the big club. The team is a disaster, and even if they attempt to fix it, will get roasted by everyone for trying to throw out the dead weight

They didn’t miss on Draisaitl. Nurse has turned out pretty good as well.

But yes, overall drafting hasn’t been great.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
OP you have this backwards, its more the Katz PR department pleading/begging for the fans to except Keith Gretzky being named the GM

Bob Stauffer is nothing more than a mouth piece doing what he's told/paid to do

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
OBC is a problem in EDM for sure and certainly the Gretzky name helps KG, but from the admittedly little I know about him he doesn't seem like a problematic choice qualification wise. I understand fans wanting to stay away from anything that can be considered OBC at this point, but if KG would be a legit consideration elsewhere then he should be in EDM too, regardless of the name and history. Really from what I know of him, it doesn't sound like a bad option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad