Eklund Rumor: Edmonton having discussions with at least two teams about Kris Russell

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gretzky quickly undoing all the wrongs of Chia.
I agree. It was a significant overpay in both AAV and term. Keith appears to be actually improving the Oilers. They shoulda canned Chiarelli and replaced him with Gretzky a long time ago.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wennberg has 2 goals this season, 0 at even strength, and is their 13th forward right now. 4 years left at 4.9.

And 23 points. Is a young centerman having an off-season. Why trade him for a cap dump? Give him another year and if he continues along this path, then trade him for a cap dump.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wennberg has 2 goals this season, 0 at even strength, and is their 13th forward right now. 4 years left at 4.9.
Yeah... Wennberg's been pretty terrible the last couple of years. The only thing he has going for him is his age and he could be a "project" that might improve with a move out of Columbus. Risky chance though at his salary and term.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t think he’s overpaid at 4, and he’d help some teams shore up some defensive holes.

I don’t think he is worth much, but I’m not surprised there’s some interest

Reactions: RattsSSV

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And 23 points. Is a young centerman having an off-season. Why trade him for a cap dump? Give him another year and if he continues along this path, then trade him for a cap dump.

That’s what they did last year. This is year 2. Next year is year 3 and given the moves of the last couple days Jarmo doesn’t strike me as patient.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah... Wennberg's been pretty terrible the last couple of years. The only thing he has going for him is his age and he could be a "project" that might improve with a move out of Columbus. Risky chance though at his salary and term.

It is, but Edmonton needs to take some gambles to bring in some talent up front.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s what they did last year. This is year 2. Next year is year 3 and given the moves of the last couple days Jarmo doesn’t strike me as patient.

I think Jarmo expects to get value back or mid-round picks. I don't see him trading for a capdump thereby conceding Wennberg has negative value.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Wait...how did two teams hire Chia and why hadn’t we heard about it?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The best fit for Russell would be a team that's strong in possession (>50%) and has two top 4LD, and three top six RD, so Russell can slot in as the #6 guy on the left side. this team also needs cap room.

Working backwards from that, the Avs could be a fit. They've got some RD in Johnson and Barrie, some LD in Girard and Zadorov, and are probably going to move on from Nemeth. They also have some cap room. With Makar also being a RD, there's no conflict there.

I think the Avs are pretty happy with Graves at least until Cole comes back plus they are still carrying Barberio. If anything the Avs need a depth RS Dman for the rest of this season

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Russell isn’t a capdump, nor does he have negative value.

Russel is a capdump and has negative value. No one pays a 3rd pairing dman 4 million. Well i take that back... Habs paid Alzner 4.6 million....

The extra 2 years of Russel's contract make it a dump and negative value.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Haha. Well, it's not like NHL teams are going to be clamoring to get at him. He's a subpar d-man who is not exactly paid on the cheap.
Can’t believe I’m doing this, but Russell is actually a pretty good bottom pairing defenseman. He’s just way overpaid, that’s all.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Can’t believe I’m doing this, but Russell is actually a pretty good bottom pairing defenseman. He’s just way overpaid, that’s all.

So he's a good overpaid bottom pairing dman (with another 2 years yet on his contract)?

Where do i sign up??

#EklundLoves Oilerfans

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Russel is a capdump and has negative value. No one pays a 3rd pairing dman 4 million. Well i take that back... Habs paid Alzner 4.6 million....

The extra 2 years of Russel's contract make it a dump and negative value.

Alzner couldn’t skate at this level anymore. Russell is a strong skater.

Nah. Old school GM’s love guys like Russell. I bet if he gets moved we’ll get something of value.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I hope Russell gets shipped out (need room for Jones & Bear coming up) but LOL at the source

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Alzner couldn’t skate at this level anymore. Russell is a strong skater.

Nah. Old school GM’s love guys like Russell. I bet if he gets moved we’ll get something of value.

Well, i hope for the Oiler's sake that they find a team to dump him on. They need the cap-space.

That said... i think GMs are now wise to the new NHL where speed and puck-movement is a premium.

member 290103

Maybe you could squeeze a 5th rounder out of a team that is looking to compete for a playoff spot and has cap space? Beyond that, I can't see him moving unless the Oil take something back with bad value.

Pouliot for Russell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad