Eklund Rumor: Edmonton having discussions with at least two teams about Kris Russell

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe you could squeeze a 5th rounder out of a team that is looking to compete for a playoff spot and has cap space? Beyond that, I can't see him moving unless the Oil take something back with bad value.

Pouliot for Russell?

Nah. If anything it would need to be a forward. We have too many bodies on the blue line as it is.

member 290103

Nah. If anything it would need to be a forward. We have too many bodies on the blue line as it is.

Goldobin for Russell? Benning is trying to prepare the Canucks for a long playoff run of 4 straight losses in round 1. Russell can help.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Looking at CBJ's defense... why would they have any interest in an overpaid bottom pairing dman? Their d-pairings are solid.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Can’t undo Hall for Larsson. :laugh:

Except, perhaps, if we sign Hall as a UFA. Then actually we can do exactly that.

Hate the Oilers, huh? Just want to throw something out there to get fans mad? There's a word for that.

As for Kris Russell, I don't see the Oilers asking a ton for him but I don't think any GM sees him as a negative value, as some posters have suggested.

member 290103

Except, perhaps, if we sign Hall as a UFA. Then actually we can do exactly that.

Hate the Oilers, huh? Just want to throw something out there to get fans mad? There's a word for that.

As for Kris Russell, I don't see the Oilers asking a ton for him but I don't think any GM sees him as a negative value, as some posters have suggested.

LOL @ Hall coming back to Edmonton. Edmonton is not going to attract high end UFA's again for a long time.......it's going to take a a massive turnaround for a prolonged period to do that. Add to this, you really think Hall is eager to return to a team that dumped him just when they were looking to be on the uptick?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
LOL @ Hall coming back to Edmonton. Edmonton is not going to attract high end UFA's again for a long time.......it's going to take a a massive turnaround for a prolonged period to do that. Add to this, you really think Hall is eager to return to a team that dumped him just when they were looking to be on the uptick?

Well, both the coach and the GM who disliked and traded Hall are gone. He liked it here. You get that, right? He actually liked playing here.

member 290103

Well, both the coach and the GM who disliked and traded Hall are gone. He liked it here. You get that, right? He actually liked playing here.

Really. Is that what he told you?

What do you expect him to say publicly? I f***ing hated that shitty city?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

What do you expect him to say publicly? I ****ing hated that ****ty city?

I admit it is a long shot because they'll be 30 teams interested in signing him. It isn't impossible, however. If Chia and McLellan were still here it would be.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015

He was close to Demar Derozen level of sad/bitter when he was traded. So there is probably some truth to that.

member 290103

I admit it is a long shot because they'll be 30 teams interested in signing him. It isn't impossible, however. If Chia and McLellan were still here it would be.

I don't know about 30 teams. I think there are some teams with some pretty serious concerns about this player. I mean, he's a tremendous talent, but there are all kinds of rumours about his demenour and activities off the ice.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Hall gives a pretty honest interview tbh. And him and Whitney ripped on Edmonton's management and old boys club for a podcast right after he left

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
GMs love steady veteran defensemen. We see them overpaid in free agency every year. You need to ask yourself if you think Russell would get 4 million per year for two years if he was a free agent. I think he would, and therefore isn't valueless. The trick might be for Edmonton to find a team to take him while giving an asset back for him. Who has a 3rd line winger they want to move?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
GMs love steady veteran defensemen. We see them overpaid in free agency every year. You need to ask yourself if you think Russell would get 4 million per year for two years if he was a free agent. I think he would, and therefore isn't valueless. The trick might be for Edmonton to find a team to take him while giving an asset back for him. Who has a 3rd line winger they want to move?

That's wishful thinking my friend.

Overpaid bottom pairing dmen are not coveted by GM's. They are the players that GMs are trying to move, with little success.

I wouldn't put much stock in an Eklund rumor.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's wishful thinking my friend.

Overpaid bottom pairing dmen are not coveted by GM's. They are the players that GMs are trying to move, with little success.

I wouldn't put much stock in an Eklund rumor.
I don't believe it because Eklund said it, but every year we see that your statement is incorrect. Especially when the player in question actually has played up to his contract nightly for the past few seasons. Russell isn't a perfect player by any means, but he also isn't this blanket "overpaid bottom pairing" player. He can and has played well in top 4 roles more often than bottom pair. For more teams than the Oilers too. His play or his contract aren't the issue here, it is his no movement clause. He doesn't want to leave.

Reactions: RattsSSV

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'll believe it when I see it.
1) Russel has full NMC.
2) Russel's family lives in Alberta.
3) Russel loves going to rodeos.

Reactions: TFHockey

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, gonna throw some shit at the fan here. Or connect some dots that might be a stretch.

The Dots:
  • On the Rangers board it's been suggested by a vetted poster that one of the Flames young defensemen could be moved for Hayes. My guess is Kylington.
  • The Flames are already said to be seeking a depth LD.
  • Kris Russell is a depth LHD
  • The Flames are one of the teams Kris Russell would waive for.
  • The Oilers need to gain cap space.

The Result:
  • Should the Flames move Kylington, we would need a #3 LD, a role Russell would be solid in. However at his cap hit, it would be a put off for the Flames. So what if the Flames and Oilers hooked up for one of their rare trades and we saw Russell (50% retained) head back to the Flames for a prospect like Spencer Foo, who IIRC was coveted by the Oilers?

Reactions: uncleben

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So, gonna throw some **** at the fan here. Or connect some dots that might be a stretch.

The Dots:
  • On the Rangers board it's been suggested by a vetted poster that one of the Flames young defensemen could be moved for Hayes. My guess is Kylington.
  • The Flames are already said to be seeking a depth LD.
  • Kris Russell is a depth LHD
  • The Flames are one of the teams Kris Russell would waive for.
  • The Oilers need to gain cap space.

The Result:
  • Should the Flames move Kylington, we would need a #3 LD, a role Russell would be solid in. However at his cap hit, it would be a put off for the Flames. So what if the Flames and Oilers hooked up for one of their rare trades and we saw Russell (50% retained) head back to the Flames for a prospect like Spencer Foo, who IIRC was coveted by the Oilers?

Not interested in retaining $2 million for 2 seasons beyond this one. What will your cap situation look like if Tkachuk gets ~$8 million AAV? Could you guys afford Russell at his full cap hit since you have bargain deals on your top line players?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sure, trade one of your few d-man capable of actually being in the NHL. Makes sense.

Sekera's return has really changed the dynamic of the team. Russell is good at what he does but we need even more of a puck moving element to our team and a guy like Caleb Jones does that and for much cheaper.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Benning/Bear/Gravel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad