Eklund Rumor: Edmonton having discussions with at least two teams about Kris Russell

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not interested in retaining $2 million for 2 seasons beyond this one. What will your cap situation look like if Tkachuk gets ~$8 million AAV? Could you guys afford Russell at his full cap hit since you have bargain deals on your top line players?
In this scenario Russell would likely be our 7-8 defneseman next year (Stone will be back and Valimaki will be playing nightly), we'd have zero interest in him at $4m. Hell, most of our fans would balk at what I suggested even.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In this scenario Russell would likely be our 7-8 defneseman next year (Stone will be back and Valimaki will be playing nightly), we'd have zero interest in him at $4m. Hell, most of our fans would balk at what I suggested even.

Fair enough, I just don't see a reason why we'd retain. Next season he submits a 10 team trade list and if we are lucky that team has a slightly overpaid forward that we can get back in return so that we bolster our forward depth while shedding some cap on the blueline.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sekera's return has really changed the dynamic of the team. Russell is good at what he does but we need even more of a puck moving element to our team and a guy like Caleb Jones does that and for much cheaper.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Benning/Bear/Gravel
Sigh.

Right back to hot crap again.

Russell should be going nowhere.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Fair enough, I just don't see a reason why we'd retain. Next season he submits a 10 team trade list and if we are lucky that team has a slightly overpaid forward that we can get back in return so that we bolster our forward depth while shedding some cap on the blueline.
Fair enough, I can't argue with that.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Oilers really need to move him but I have doubts anyone would give up assets for him or would want to pay him next year. Even 50% retained he is not that appealing.

Next year he might be easier to move.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Russell is a great defenceman. Despite what everyone says in here, When the oilers had injury woes and he returned, our defence looked significantly better. He is more of a number 4 then a number 5. Guys got heart, character and willing to sacrifice his body to block shots. Hes loved in the locker room. Only way I see him traded is for cap reasons.

Reactions: Patch101

gach

Aug 2, 2018
The only time you really hear Russell's name is because of his shot blocking and lots argue that's because when he's on the ice the puck is always in his end of the ice

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Russell + 2nd 2019 for Wennberg. Columbus saves a million per in cap and moves a 4 year 4.9 mil hit for a 2 year at 4. Would make sense if they can retain Matty D.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't know about 30 teams. I think there are some teams with some pretty serious concerns about this player. I mean, he's a tremendous talent, but there are all kinds of rumours about his demenour and activities off the ice.

He was a pretty wild guy when he was here. He and a few Oilers were notorious at a few local bars. Hell I was pretty crazy at 21 and I wasn't earning $6 Million a year and wasn't an NHL star. So I give him a lot of slack for the off-ice stuff. However, his issues on the bench were definitely a sign of immaturity. Since then he got his head on straight in New Jersey and has grown up quite a lot since his days in Edmonton.

Oiler fans would welcome him back, that's for sure.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't believe it because Eklund said it, but every year we see that your statement is incorrect. Especially when the player in question actually has played up to his contract nightly for the past few seasons. Russell isn't a perfect player by any means, but he also isn't this blanket "overpaid bottom pairing" player. He can and has played well in top 4 roles more often than bottom pair. For more teams than the Oilers too. His play or his contract aren't the issue here, it is his no movement clause. He doesn't want to leave.

Every year? I just started posting on HF this season...

Russell has not played up to his contract. No one pays a bottom pairing dman 4 million. Combined with 2 additional seasons, his age and the fact that he is not going to improve (and will likely get even worse).. No team would willingly take on Russell unless there is a significant sweetener going the other way.

Think about it - for the same reasons the Oilers are trying to dump Russell, other GMs are trying to do the same with their overpaid players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Think about it - for the same reasons the Oilers are trying to dump Russell, other GMs are trying to do the same with their overpaid players.

Which is exactly what I have been saying. What would the forward equivalent of Kris Russell be? That's the types of players we should be looking at. ffs Sam Gagner has made a significant contribution to our club and he was cast away from Vancouver and loaned to the Marlies. There has to be similar gets out there where a team would prefer to offload a forward for a defenseman.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers and Flames are chatting. Though I would consider that the conversation is probably more a lament to Treliving about how other teams don't understand how good Russell is like the Flames and Oilers understand, and Keith asking Tre how he got the return he did from Dallas.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Russel is a great defender - some GM in the NHL will value that in a shallow trade market for Dmen this deadline.

EDM will be sad to see him go, he's loved in the room. But with Sekera back, and Gravel playing really well but not getting much minutes plus a ton of LHD coming through the system, it's a good opportunity to get out from his $4m cap hit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Which is exactly what I have been saying. What would the forward equivalent of Kris Russell be? That's the types of players we should be looking at. ffs Sam Gagner has made a significant contribution to our club and he was cast away from Vancouver and loaned to the Marlies. There has to be similar gets out there where a team would prefer to offload a forward for a defenseman.

Oh wait, we are saying the same thing? Yay.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've always said this...Russel isn't a bad player, just a misused player. He's a solid BPD but he's payed and deployed like a bonafide Top4/2D.

Given his contract, you would think there has to be a contract going back to EDM or some retention to make a deal feasible/work.

Reactions: _Del_

c3po

Feb 25, 2006
maybe the canucks could look at russell. he would be upgrade on pouliot

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Russell is a solid veteran. He's overpaid on the bottom pair, but he can play up the lineup so when there's injuries or another player is slumping he's a godsend.

I'm not sure why the Oilers would want to move him. He has a NMC contract, so maybe they just want to clear space for the sake of it? Maybe this summer is a good one for whale hunting.

Also maybe the plan next season is to find a more offensive minded D, and the team has no interest in moving Klef, Lars, Nurse, or Sekera. Plus perhaps Jones and/or Bouchard will be ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->