Friedman: Edmonton has “at very least looked into” Tomas Tatar

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
By the time we’re ready to contend in about 2 years Tatar could have ****ed off somewhere in free agency or be like 32 years old.

Doesn’t fit the age range we need and he’s gonna be a UFA at 30. Definitely not worth the ridiculous ask from the Habs. STAY AWAY.

If the teams aren’t a good fit, that’s perfectly fine - but a 1st + filler for Tatar is hardly ridiculous. Impending UFA Kevin Hayes went for exactly that last deadline, and probably more, given that Lemieux can actually play in the league. Tatar also has a leg up on Hayes since he has another year left on his contract. Bringing up Hayes as they are relatively comparable, on the basis of both avg. career numbers and placement in an NHL lineup.

Now, whether that was a good deal for Winnipeg is an entirely different discussion. But claiming that the value is ridiculous is simply inaccurate.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Why would his value be higher in the summer? its higher now because it gives the team getting Tatar a chance to gel with his new team and a chance at the cup. If you were to trade him in the summer the team would only be getting him for just a year and no chance at the cup and on top of that he would need to have time to gel with his new team.

Few reasons why he could get a better return in the Summer.

1) Right now, only a few teams believe they are contenders. Come Summer, 3/4 or more of the league will think they have a good shot. Simply put, potentially more teams interested.

2) Cap space is generally a non-issue in summer.

3) Extension can officially be signed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nurse for Domi 1 for 1, maybe. I’d probably still keep Nurse instead. A top4 dman with elite skating and a physical game doesn’t come cheap, especially one that can put up nearly 40 points at even strength.

Puljujarvi and a 2nd for Kulak and Hillis is gross.

The 2nd part is gross to you but Puljujarvi is not worth that much on the trade market. Producing in the Liiga league at 21 is to be expected. And I have Domi worth more than Nurse which would offset your gross part even more. I think it was close ish and could have been negotiated. However, Nurse signed for 2 years now. I have zero interest in Nurse now due to term left till UFA

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the teams aren’t a good fit, that’s perfectly fine - but a 1st + filler for Tatar is hardly ridiculous. Impending UFA Kevin Hayes went for exactly that last deadline, and probably more, given that Lemieux can actually play in the league. Tatar also has a leg up on Hayes since he has another year left on his contract. Bringing up Hayes as they are relatively comparable, on the basis of both avg. career numbers and placement in an NHL lineup.

Now, whether that was a good deal for Winnipeg is an entirely different discussion. But claiming that the value is ridiculous is simply inaccurate.

Good post. People just like to exaggerate and the word "ridiculous" is used far to often.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
:popcorn: Wow, this thread is super intense!
Might I remind everyone that the thread is "Edmonton has “at very least looked into” Tomas Tatar"? It means they inquired, not that they went beyond that.
In fact, I imagine that most GMs have at least inquired on Tatar.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I doubt tatar gets a first. Habs should keep him for the rebuild cause playoffs are a few years away. He worth a 2nd and 3rd . His game is not as polished as most on the same position. Having said that there is always one GM who overpays

looks like you are right - there is always 1 GM that overpays and that gm is Pens’ Rutherford!!! Hahaha

1st + Addison plus capdump in Chucky for Zucker is a huge overpayment. With that return as a baseline, Tatar is easily worth a 1st ++ !!!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Judging by the Zucker trade, the ask would likely take our 1st, one of our better prospects - Montreal likely asks for Bouchard, Broberg or Benson and we'd need to counter with Samukorov or Marody - and a dump like Gagner. I don't see Edmonton having any interest in moving the 1st or Bouchard/Broberg/Benson, and I can't see Montreal trading Tatar for Samukorov, a 2nd and Gagner, so I just don't see this progressing.

Only way I include the first is if James Neal's contract is involved in this trade, ha ha.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yamamoto, Granlund and a first for Tatar!

Holland doesn't do Yamamoto at all right now IMO. Tatar is a target to help with our offensive depth, we aren't moving one of our more productive wingers to get what at best could be a marginal upgrade short term, but might not even be that. Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Nuge has been the Oilers best line since they have been put together, they won't tinker with that in the middle of a playoff race.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I'd be fired up to get Tatar, but I can't see paying a Bouchard/Broberg or even a 1st for him, personally. Only signed for one more year + 29 years old and he's having his career year right now...makes a guy a little nervous.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Judging by the Zucker trade, the ask would likely take our 1st, one of our better prospects - Montreal likely asks for Bouchard, Broberg or Benson and we'd need to counter with Samukorov or Marody - and a dump like Gagner. I don't see Edmonton having any interest in moving the 1st or Bouchard/Broberg/Benson, and I can't see Montreal trading Tatar for Samukorov, a 2nd and Gagner, so I just don't see this progressing.

Only way I include the first is if James Neal's contract is involved in this trade, ha ha.
I agree that if Edmonton does not trade a 1st round pick or Bouchard or Broberg, no way they get Tatar

I don't think he gets traded this deadline anyways, barring a Zucker-like trade. He's no rental, it's not like Bergevin can't wait for the summer to discuss with more trade partners, like he did for Pacioretty. The team that would get him could also extend him right way if the trade happen after July 1st, like for Pacioretty.

Teams would have to pay a lot to pry Tatar away at this trade deadline. Think about 1st + good prospect + secondary roster player (salary purpose).

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'd be fired up to get Tatar, but I can't see paying a Bouchard/Broberg or even a 1st for him, personally. Only signed for one more year + 29 years old and he's having his career year right now...makes a guy a little nervous.

Last year he had 25 goals and 58 points and he was the second leading scorer on the team. He plays with Phil Danault as his center, how good could he be playing with Connor McDavid?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Last year he had 25 goals and 58 points and he was the second leading scorer on the team. He plays with Phil Danault as his center, how good could he be playing with Connor McDavid?

We've seen this argument before, but Taylor Hall wasn't awesome with McDavid, so I don't buy into it. There is no guarantee of chemistry between any two players.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We've seen this argument before, but Taylor Hall wasn't awesome with McDavid, so I don't buy into it. There is no guarantee of chemistry between any two players.

Fine, but it was more to say that Tatar is capable of having very decent seasons as he had a good one last year too. This year will definitely be his best and next year could be very good as well as it's his contract year.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Tatar is much less of a puck hog than Hall, so I think he could actually play with McDavid.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal not trading Tatar. He is a big part of their team. With McDavid injury will Oilers have increased interest in Kovalchuk.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Tatar is trending towards 70 points and more or less driving his own line. Imagine him with McDavid....

Imagine Montreal retaining half his salary because they have so much cap space. Where could EDM find a better value per $? Man, it would be hard.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Imagine Tatar with a first line C. No disrespect to Danault who has become a very productive 2C, but a dynamic 1C would propel Tatar to loftier point totals.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tatar is trending towards 70 points and more or less driving his own line. Imagine him with McDavid....

Imagine Montreal retaining half his salary because they have so much cap space. Where could EDM find a better value per $? Man, it would be hard.
Yes, but that would break up the Habs best line. Tatar is signed for next season with Vegas picking up a portion of his caphit. Montreal not trading that. Maybe next trade deadline?

Might trade Kovalchuk? If return is right? Not going to deal him for a 3rd round pick, nothing like that. But if we can get what Boston paid for Nash 2 years I would.

Like to keep Kovalchuk as he is good fit with Suzuki. Suzuki been different player since move to center and play with Kovalchuk. Lots of moving parts on Kovalchuk though. Will he sign next year? How much will he fetch on trade market? I am not sure on either?

If we keep Kovalchuk like to move Armia to 3rd line and trade for a more explosive first line winger with term. To play with Suzuki, dangle our first pick for right guy. Probably to a team looking to move a big contract. Caproom is no issue to Habs but it is to some clubs. RIght now we draft 9th. Should be one of Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti or Lundell. Montreal's core is getting older and this pick will fetch huge return.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Imagine Tatar with a first line C. No disrespect to Danault who has become a very productive 2C, but a dynamic 1C would propel Tatar to loftier point totals.
That’s unpredictable... Chemistry plays a big role. Taylor Hall didn’t play well with Mcdavid and he’s a much superior player than Tatar!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad