Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2.0: 7 - 5

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's not what you do at the beginning of the season, it's the results at the end. I've seen maybe a great team succumb in the playoffs, so the Esks hopefully be prepared when the playoffs come.

The number of injuries to the club is unreal. It's got to stop sometime and give them a break.

I think everyone realizes that, but if you can give yourself a nice cushion at the beginning, it makes it a little easier when the bumps happen later on.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Absolutely incredible, and should be the story of the year in the CFL. The engine that keeps on ticking despite all odds.

- the defensive line just continues to roll on. Willis having a career year, losing Sewell for any length of time should have an impact, but the two young studs inside, Cummings and Bowers continue be beasts and force all kinds of problems. And let's be honest, only a matter of time before the bandaid named Howard goes down with injury once again. The guy has spent more time on IR than the playing field the last 4 years. I don't like to see anyone get hurt and have some empathy for him, but enough is enough. Cut him loose at the end of the year and get more people that can actually suit up. It's not like he was an actual force out there anyhow. I do see great things ahead for Boetang. With some experience, he will take that Howard spot and provide some impact from it.

- scary to see Marcus Young lined up back there. Weakest link by far on the defence, but we applied enough pressure and the other guys stepped up enough to mitigage any damage he can do. Hope Peters comes back soon.

- agree with an earlier comment about Reilly. Seems to be going through his progressions quicker and smarter, and finding the open man more often.

- love Bowman and what he can bring, but has anyone else noticed how few dropped balls we have had this year? Those can be absolute killers no matter what else you do. Drive killers, momentum killers, etc. These "replacements" are hanging on to almost everything and also making catches they shouldn't make. And every one of them is a big YAK producer. Gone are the days of Nate Coohorn, when a catch is made and that is the end of it.

- Trevor Harris strikes me as one of those QB's that have great stats but cannot win when the noose gets tight. The D line completely flustered him in the 4th quarter, and there was never a chance he was going to mount a comeback. The opposite persona of Reilly.

O'Nell was superb tonight. Made every kick he was supposed to make, and shanked the really long shot but got it deep enough to keep the Redblacks pinned relatively deep. But his punt under pressure in the 4th quarter with the game very much in doubt was a kill shot. Something Grant Shaw could not come close to doing in his 5 years on this team.

-I honestly don't know how Young would play ahead of Hightower unless they think that Hightower is still not 100%.

-Cummings and Bowers are both wild beasts and you notice how the rush has improved so much this year after being pretty tepid last year. Hope that Sewell won't be out for long though. As for Howard, he has talent and is reputedly a nice guy but sooner or later in pro football if you can't stay healthy then you are gone. Availability is part of the game.

-Boateng is the biggest steal of the draft and another potential ratio buster. If you held that draft again no way would he still be available after the first 10 selections. The CFL draft is very important, even the later rounds.

-Harris is a good QB but Ottawa has played over their heads in the last few years and it is beginning to show.

-O'Neil is the perfect example of the silver linings surrounding injuries. If Whyte hadn't been hurt then we would have seen Whyte's punts for the rest of the year and they were brutal. When Whyte returns we will have a good 1-2 combination.

-Hazelton is the untold story of the season so far. Without his clutch 2nd down grabs last night it could have been a very different game. He isn't fancy but he's just plain good and he runs excellent routes.

-I thought Perkins might have been the best RB in training camp and right now I would say he is the bona-fide 1st string starter no matter who comes back from injury.

-Maas looks like he could be coach of the year.

-Jones is an outstanding LB thus far.

-

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
we really have to enjoy this season. nothing like I've ever seen. just amazing how well the team has kept going despite the injuries.

Maas for coach of the year. and kudos to the current management team, and especially to Ed Hervey for the depth of talent they have to keep things afloat like this.

talk about nothing but unselfish team play across the board. this season so far has ben an unexpected treasure.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
-I honestly don't know how Young would play ahead of Hightower unless they think that Hightower is still not 100%.

-Cummings and Bowers are both wild beasts and you notice how the rush has improved so much this year after being pretty tepid last year. Hope that Sewell won't be out for long though. As for Howard, he has talent and is reputedly a nice guy but sooner or later in pro football if you can't stay healthy then you are gone. Availability is part of the game.

-Boateng is the biggest steal of the draft and another potential ratio buster. If you held that draft again no way would he still be available after the first 10 selections. The CFL draft is very important, even the later rounds.

-Harris is a good QB but Ottawa has played over their heads in the last few years and it is beginning to show.

-O'Neil is the perfect example of the silver linings surrounding injuries. If Whyte hadn't been hurt then we would have seen Whyte's punts for the rest of the year and they were brutal. When Whyte returns we will have a good 1-2 combination.

-Hazelton is the untold story of the season so far. Without his clutch 2nd down grabs last night it could have been a very different game. He isn't fancy but he's just plain good and he runs excellent routes.

-I thought Perkins might have been the best RB in training camp and right now I would say he is the bona-fide 1st string starter no matter who comes back from injury.

-Maas looks like he could be coach of the year.

-Jones is an outstanding LB thus far.

-

Hightower is not 100%.

we really have to enjoy this season. nothing like I've ever seen. just amazing how well the team has kept going despite the injuries.

Maas for coach of the year. and kudos to the current management team, and especially to Ed Hervey for the depth of talent they have to keep things afloat like this.

talk about nothing but unselfish team play across the board. this season so far has ben an unexpected treasure.

Hervey is given so much credit and deservedly so but the superstar has been Jones. Not Chris but Paul. Fans have no idea how important he is to this organization - with his contacts and all of the players he's recruited. My fear is that we could lose him - not to another team as he bleeds green and gold but he's morbidly obese and I fear for his health. Chris Jones gets lauded for guys like Franklin, but he's not who got Frank here (as an example). Jones' fingerprints are all over this roster.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Hightower is not 100%.

Hervey is given so much credit and deservedly so but the superstar has been Jones. Not Chris but Paul. Fans have no idea how important he is to this organization - with his contacts and all of the players he's recruited. My fear is that we could lose him - not to another team as he bleeds green and gold but he's morbidly obese and I fear for his health. Chris Jones gets lauded for guys like Franklin, but he's not who got Frank here (as an example). Jones' fingerprints are all over this roster.

Ahh the George R R Martin syndrome.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Trestman might be the most overrated coach in recent memory.

Can't do anything without a HOF QB.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This comes up every year. If we make the Grey Cup game you'll see this again. Book it.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/paula-simons-time-to-hear-tanya-tagaqs-eskimos-challenge

Somehow, "We're cheering fight, fight, fight on Elk" just doesn't do it for me.

And you know what my answer is to that? Who the **** is she? 'internationally acclaimed'? If she is, how come I haven't heard of her? Maybe she should focus on being a household name than post stupid remarks like that.

And Paula Simon, you aren't doing your city justice by posting stupid articles like this one and the IronFoot crap for Rogers Place. You're better off just not writing articles than writing them.

To be clear, I'm all for respecting and enriching the city with Indigenous Heritage but changing sports names for them isn't the way to do it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sigh....these politically correct whiners and apologists are the most sickening people on Earth. In their minds everybody (but themselves) is a racist and should apologize to perceived victims on an hourly basis for any comment however slight it might be. My experience with these whiners in real life is that they can't get along with anybody and they write/speak these sort of things not to legitimately advance the interests of minority groups but rather to advance their own careers.

Accordingly, we have fired a lot of them at work because if someone comes in to the office in the morning and says "what a beautiful blue sky" they charge into the VP's office demanding an apology for red sky advocates. Even minority groups can't stand being around them.

The term "Eskimos" is not racist and it is not offensive nor was it ever intended to be. Instead, I see it as a token of affection for our friends in the far North and the fact that we named our football team after them was a sign of inclusiveness at a time when such a term did not exist.

I have never heard of this singer (and won't be buying her albums) but let's hope that she spends her time working on the real issues regarding racism and intolerance in our society and not imaginary ones.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sigh....these politically correct whiners and apologists are the most sickening people on Earth. In their minds everybody (but themselves) is a racist and should apologize to perceived victims on an hourly basis for any comment however slight it might be. My experience with these whiners in real life is that they can't get along with anybody and they write/speak these sort of things not to legitimately advance the interests of minority groups but rather to advance their own careers.

Accordingly, we have fired a lot of them at work because if someone comes in to the office in the morning and says "what a beautiful blue sky" they charge into the VP's office demanding an apology for red sky advocates. Even minority groups can't stand being around them.

The term "Eskimos" is not racist and it is not offensive nor was it ever intended to be. Instead, I see it as a token of affection for our friends in the far North and the fact that we named our football team after them was a sign of inclusiveness at a time when such a term did not exist.

I have never heard of this singer (and won't be buying her albums) but let's hope that she spends her time working on the real issues regarding racism and intolerance in our society and not imaginary ones.

Couldn't have said it better myself :handclap:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just for info...sound pretty good to me. A bit of Rock/R&B. A little Cochrane influence in there to my ears as well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Here here. :handclap:

This mindless thinking is permeating western society like a plague.

Case in point...I just heard that 3 schools in Portland, who were named after the Lynch family (who made a large monetary donation) are now being pressured by the politically correct thought police to have their names changed. Their position is that the word 'lynch' is considered to be racist and might send the wrong message to the elementary students.
Whats incredible to me is that these self important social engineers cant even tell the difference between a verb and a noun. Perhaps thats what they should be educating the students about instead of projecting their weak minded political correctness onto everybody else.
Its time to take a stand on behalf of common sense against this type of intellectually bankrupt nonsense.

Nothing wrong or offensive with the word Eskimos...nothing at all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Here here. :handclap:

This mindless thinking is permeating western society like a plague.

Case in point...I just heard that 3 schools in Portland, who were named after the Lynch family (who made a large monetary donation) are now being pressured by the politically correct thought police to have their names changed. Their position is that the word 'lynch' is considered to be racist and might send the wrong message to the elementary students.
Whats incredible to me is that these self important social engineers cant even tell the difference between a verb and a noun. Perhaps thats what they should be educating the students about instead of projecting their weak minded political correctness onto everybody else.
Its time to take a stand on behalf of common sense against this type of intellectually bankrupt nonsense.

Nothing wrong or offensive with the word Eskimos...nothing at all.
Can't help but think this battle has already been lost.:shakehead

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

LkNdadq.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can't help but think this battle has already been lost.:shakehead

Never give up. Granted...common sense and critical thinking are becoming more and more scarce but speaking up against this nonsense is the only recourse.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Fantastic post, man, one of the best on here ever.:handclap::handclap::yo:

The world may appear to be going crazy, but I still believe sanity will ultimately prevail, and there are enough of us in the so called silent majority that will eventually have our voices heard. These type of self appointed do good idiots will always exist and if the rest of us consider the topic relevant enough it will be turned back. I have confidence in the human race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad